• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2012 US Election

Who do you want to win the US Election tomorrow?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 36 87.8%
  • Mitt Romney

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • Other (Gary Johnson, Vermin Supreme etc)

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters

Stelios

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
Surprised we don't have a topic like this already. Hopefully we won't spread into anarchy. So I just felt like doing a X-Factor style poll to show how much we care.

I personally think we'll be doomed to WW3 if Romney gets in, may sound snobbish but Iran are on their final threads with them. The rest of the world wants Obama anyway. C'mon who was the last president to sing? Who cares about the economy when you have a president who has his own YouTube channel dedicated to dubs of him singing hits? Now vote before it goes to deadlock.

It has to be Obama for me without any question. Romney's policies look set to take America back so many years in many senses, plus with the numerous awful things members of his party have been saying about rape and the like, I'd never vote Republican in a million years.

I'd like Obama to win, but the poll question doesn't ask that. The poll question asks who do I think will win the election, and the answer to that really is an unknown. Both of them seem worryingly even in recent polls. I will be watching tomorrow night with great interest.

I don't think America should be able to claim they are the 'leader of the free world' if they elect Romney. He scares me. His policies look to set America back decades, and the Republican's stances on women's and LGBT rights are downright terrifying. On top of that, all the general gaffes he's been making the past few months are embarrassing. Does America want yet another leader who will be a laughing stock to the rest of the world?

Obama is nowhere near perfect. But compared to Mitt Romney, he's downright brilliant.

But as to who will win...I'd put my money on Obama. John McCain was a much stronger candidate and lost.

To be honest, it doesn't really matter who's name is on the door, the President doesn't have any real control. Government is a superorganism. whoever wins things will just get worse. Call me pessimistic all you want, but America won't stop in their goal to rule the world with an iron fist no matter whether it's Obama that wins or that Mormon bellend. Policies are meaningless. As the great George Carlin put it, elections simply give the illusion of freedom and choice.

But I really don't like the idea of a religious nut having control of nukes and Obama at least isn't outwardly a disgusting human like Romney is.

It strikes me as funny this because first America sets out to conquer Europe and succeeds (Which it has done, to conquer you don't have to have a war, just the Marshall Plan) which means every European country basically invited the US in during 1945/6. After seeing a new superpower rise, it tries to crush it and it eventually does so in the 90's. Now it is in the Middle East just happening to be 'helping' the countries out there. Ruling, or trying to rule, every country seems to be the US goal.

So all in all I agree with what Blaze has said and I definitely want Obama over Romney.

Poison Tom 96 said:
It strikes me as funny this because first America sets out to conquer Europe and succeeds (Which it has done, to conquer you don't have to have a war, just the Marshall Plan) which means every European country basically invited the US in during 1945/6. After seeing a new superpower rise, it tries to crush it and it eventually does so in the 90's. Now it is in the Middle East just happening to be 'helping' the countries out there. Ruling, or trying to rule, every country seems to be the US goal.

So all in all I agree with what Blaze has said and I definitely want Obama over Romney.

Translation may not be 100%

We're all living in America
America is wonderful
America, America

When there's dancing I want to lead
even if you're whirling around alone
Let yourselves be controlled a little
I'll show you how it really goes
We're making a nice round dance
Freedom is playing on all violins
Music is coming out of the White House
and Mickey Mouse is standing in front of Paris

America is wonderful
America, America

I know moves that are very useful
and I will protect you from missteps
And whoever doesn't want to dance at the end
doesn't know yet that they must
We're making a nice round dance
I will show you the way
Santa Claus is coming to Africa
and Mickey Mouse is standing in front of Paris

America is wonderful
America, America

Coca-Cola, Wonderbra
America, America

This is not a love song
This is not a love song
I don't sing my mother tongue
No, This is not a love song

America is wonderful
America, America

Coca-Cola, sometimes war
America, America

HAIL ROMNEY/OBAMA!

Typical BBC trying to talk this up to generate interest. Hello, look at the bookmaker's odds - they've very rarely wrong.

You realise there are more than two candidates...?

I'd vote Green Party's Jill Stein because she is someone who is genuinely progressive and not bought off by big corporations.

I'd appreciate it if you could at least provide an 'other' option in the poll, if not a full list of candidates including Vermin Supreme... :p

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2cV_51TUrM&feature=related[/youtube]

The question asked who will win, so only listing the two main candidates is entirely justified as nobody else stands a realistic chance. Had Stelios asked who you'd like to win then other candidates should have been included.

Ah... My mistake. I looked at the first post and the possible answers and jumped to a conclusion without actually looking at the poll question. Sorry about that Stelios.

Although, I must say that I think the question of who you would want to vote for is a more interesting one than who has a better chance of winning.

John said:
The question asked who will win, so only listing the two main candidates is entirely justified as nobody else stands a realistic chance. Had Stelios asked who you'd like to win then other candidates should have been included.

I was going to do that, but the poll was so late I wouldn't think we'd get much time for discussion anyway. Changed. :)

Enjoy, I doubt much would be changing their hopes though. And Vermin (the legend) will probably never get 1000 votes in the whole of his career. XD

But now the questions changed it says I want Mitt Romney to win, and I bloody well don't! ;)

I want Obama to win just like anyone else with an decent education should do, but I've got an awful gut feeling that Romney could just edge it. I hope I'm wrong.

So to recap, the only reason Romney has 1 vote atm is because I, sadly, have a feeling he'll narrowly win, but now the polls been changed to say who I want to win, which is actually Obama. :p

On economic issues, both are very right-wing, believing in the post-Reagan free-market consensus. There's no difference between them at all on that one, so it doesn't really matter.

But Obama is much more progressive on women's and LGBT issues, so I guess I have a slight preference for him. Both very right-wing economically, but at least Obama is a bit more socially forward-thinking. :)

Obama did bail out GM, so I'd say he was a bit less right-wing economically. Not by much, but a bit.

He is much less right-wing socially though. Plus he ended the war with Iraq, something Romney was deeply opposed to.

It says a lot about Romney that last time round Sarah freaking Palin was chosen over him.

AshleeKel said:
Been watching Sky News, looks like Rmney is winning :(
He's not :)

The states which he has been called as winning are safe Republican states. It's not until states such as Florida or Ohio get called that we will have a clear idea of who has the advantage. The early numbers always give the Republican candidate what looks like an advantage due to the order the states come in and how many votes they have :)

EDIT: Also in less than 5 minutes a huge wave of states will close and more predictions will be made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

The way the US election works (and most elections for that matter) is like it works over here, each state has their results announced separately so it changes all the time. Like it just has!