• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2013 park map

Maya

TS Member
So normally we get the new seasons map released at the start of March, so I was wondering, how will they present the 2013 map?
X sector isnt big enough to fit in SW7, and we've had this horrible, squashed and hard to navigate map for too long now.
I want to see something that you can actually use to get around the park , with out getting lost in the woods trying to get from th13teen to air (Well...it was my first visit). Yeah, it can be a bit artist, make it look nice, but too much is too much.

Personaly I think x sector will be enlarged to be more prominent. And hopefully oblivion turned the right way around!!

They really need to Reduce the area of map taken up by the hotels as it currently occupies about quarter of the map. If these was reduced then there would be plenty of space to expand x sector as well as marketing some key rides more prominent

It will probably be all revealed when the Sun's ticket giveaway starts next Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

It will be interesting espeically with the Smiler not opening till May, will we get the main map in March? As I imagine the Smiler will feature all over it, which might confuse guests if its closed! Or will we get last years map style for the first two months, but updated to mention The Smiler coming soon?

When we do get a new map I think it will be in a whole new style, we have had this style for a few years now so with a new major ride I think we will get a new map, X sector will be the main feature, just like the dark forrest was when TH13TEEN opened.

I imagine a very yellow and black looking map! And im sure this time they can get Oblivion facing the right way!

djtruefitt said:
When we do get a new map I think it will be in a whole new style, we have had this style for a few years now so with a new major ride I think we will get a new map, X sector will be the main feature, just like the dark forrest was when TH13TEEN opened.

I think that the style of map changes approximately every 3-4 years, we have currently only had the current style for 2, this year being the 3rd if it features again. Thats my thoughts anyway :)

I was initially going to suggest that it would save them money to use the old 2012 map, until The Smiler opens in May. However, The Burger Kitchen will be open from March and, as there is significant advertisement for it on the Plaza at the moment, then I'm guessing there will be a new map created with equal advertising opportunity come March.

I suppose they could just print a limited number of maps to keep them going until the Smiler's opening date. Then again, it would also be reasonable to have a map for the full season that simply refers to The Smiler as 'new for May 2013'. That way, anybody visiting before May will be aware that it isn't yet open, anyone after May will be aware that it is - yet Towers would still only have to create and print one version of the map.

I think I'm in favour of two seperate maps though & I think Towers will probably go with this option as well - there would be more room to advertise along the lines of 'Come back to ride The Smiler in May etc'. I imagine they will want to pinpoint the location of The Sanctuary on a Map too. Two seperate maps pre/post opening, would make sense. Whatever happens though, I definitely want to see a new design.

I know that some of the other Merlin parks have different maps during the year, such as Legoland, as they have the opening hours on the back of the map but only ever for that month and a two or three other months.

Considering mock-up maps that they send to schools etc just promote The Smiler don't have a style of map change. I doubt it will change this year especially if you see the patterns.

It is going to be so cluttered this year... -_- Habbo-style maps are looking pretty good now aren't they?

Remove the hotels, golf, etc and you will have a great map! Simply put the hotels on the back and cut down the info on the rides, or even add the list of rides and details on the front of the map, around the outside of the map, just like other theme parks do.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we might get a revised map in May, they did that in 2006 I think it was. The new map was launched in March with the opening of Charlie, then a few months later they released a second edition featuring the Driving School once that opened.

Then I'm pretty sure they released ANOTHER one with Vertigo omitted.

So it's possible they may just print a limited run or coming soon maps, before releasing a revised map in May

I'm 99% certain we will see a new map style this year. And if we don't I might actually cry! There's no chance of fitting The Smiler onto the current design, and the current design is poor anyway. What they really need to do is remove the hotels/waterpark etc from the map as currently they take up about a third of the space. Show where they are maybe with a label but have a totally separate map for the Resort side of things. There is then more space to map the theme park.

I'd also say there is a fairly large chance of there being two maps this year, like in 2006. If they can do two to cater for the addition of the Driving School then they can do it for The Smiler!

:)

I don't see there being need for a new map (as it would cost a fortune for Visual Maps to make a whole new creation). However, if they downsize Riverbank Eye Spy and Dungheap, perhaps editing Oblivion so the drop faces the right way, there would be plenty of room for The Smiler. Also it would seem that they've prepared to make room for the new coaster last year, as there is a huge gap between the Towers and the Fried Chicken Company.

If this makes no sense, here is a quickly done illustration where I'd expect the Smiler to be placed without intruding too much on anything else;

One of the selling points of Visual Maps is that they can easily modify their products for a number of reasons (seasonal events such as Scarefest for example), so I don't think we'll be seeing a new design anytime soon. I could be wrong though.

They can simply just do what they did with Ice Age there and put a bar underneath saying Opening May 1st or something.

Its all over Towers Street anyway now saying its opening May and potentially adverts on TV too will say it opens May so I think the Resort have pretty much got there back covered and should just go ahead and print the new maps and hand them out at the start of the season!

If anyone's interested, just a heads up - the 2013 map will appear in the Sun's Alton Towers pull out on the 6th March. :)

James said:
If anyone's interested, just a heads up - the 2013 map will appear in the Sun's Alton Towers pull out on the 6th March. :)

Good news! Will someone scan it and put it on here? I refuse to buy that rag The Scum.

The 'new' map looks awful! It was up on FB (I have morals so don't buy The Scum) but it is the old one with even more things crammed on it. Not impressed -_-

For next year I fear the lodges will just be squeezed on the current map....

The map's tend to last for three years at a time so the next expected change would be next season anyway - which would make sense as there is absolutely no way anything else can fit on the current one!

I like the map... as a picture or marketing tool. But as an actual "map" to use to navigate the park it's terrible! Last year I heard people complaining that they had tried to walk from Dark Forrest to Forbidden Valley and didn't realise there was a great big valley in the middle. :S

The map needs to be a map and aesthetically pleasing, somewhere in the middle of the current ones, and the old "Habo Hotel" styled ones. Hopefully we will get a whole new design next year.

Oh look we're having another discussion without first posting the thing that is being discussed:

72492_454411774629272_1563102157_n.jpg

That wasn't hard now was it?

Not much for me to say about this, it's the same "artistic interpretation" of the park as last year but with everything squeezed out the way to make room for The Smiler.

Does anyone else think it would be an interesting experiment if they also handed out proper maps at the park entrance and see which is more popular?

No need for the sarcasm... I would have posted the map image but I'm currently on my way to work and only had time to quickly make a post regarding my comments rather than faff for image links on my phone. The same possibly applies to others too.