• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2018: Wicker Man - General Discussion - SPOILERS! - Part One

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Usually when you have an deep interest and excitement for something you advertise that. And when I look at your name and profile pic it tells me your very keen on this ride. So it confuses me why your being so dismissive of it.

Not being dismissive - it just does not appeal to me! Whereas the installation at Blackpool looks great by comparison!

Last edited:
Here's my opinion on SW8.

If it's gonna have the thrill of InvadR or White Lightning, It'll be nothing less than good.
If it's gonna have a similar style 'experience' to The Welcoming, It'll be good.

However of course people are gonna get dissapointed if the the original coaster was gonna be the rumoured cross-valley RMC/Intamin prefab. Doesn't make this ride any worse than it will be. The ride will be different and offer something majorly different to what any UK theme park currently offers.

And regards to what RoyJess said about it having something secret up it's sleve, I have a feeling it will but I'm not gonna hold out for it so I'm not dissapointed.

So why is it your profile pic? Why is it your name? If it doesn't appeal to you then why bother being on the forum? It's confusing?

Because it is not relevant nor constructive to the discussion regarding SW8. This forum is not about me, my profile, or my name. It is about our opinions of SW8.

Stay on topic please and try not to be personal.

Last edited:
Bit off topic but with mention of the Runaway Mine Train it's got me thinking, since the layout is quite short could we see the ride do multiple circuits? Would make more sense for them to increase the ride length that way rather than going back to the old pre-smiler formula of short ridelength.

Bit off topic but with mention of the Runaway Mine Train it's got me thinking, since the layout is quite short could we see the ride do multiple circuits? Would make more sense for them to increase the ride length that way rather than going back to the old pre-smiler formula of short ridelength.

It would be nice however this is highly unlikely and impracticable given it is running 3 trains!

It would be a logistical nightmare no doubt! :)

Oh damn sorry i completely forgot about the fact it was running 3 trains. It'd be a logistical nightmare for sure but i'd like to see them try hahaha

This thread is now full of utter nonsense, where are the admins?! Sort it out folks, it's becoming unbearable to keep up with. Towers Street has always been my first choice forum, since the disband years back - but it's certainly not being monitored and edited properly at the moment, it's sad to see.

This thread is now full of utter nonsense, where are the admins?! Sort it out folks, it's becoming unbearable to keep up with. Towers Street has always been my first choice forum, since the disband years back - but it's certainly not being monitored and edited properly at the moment, it's sad to see.

The forum includes a report feature if you wish to flag up specific posts. We aren't like other forums though in that we prefer as much freedom as possible in regard to posts, rather than deleting huge rafts of discussion and banning members on the merest whim as you'll experience elsewhere. And much moderation consists of PM's which of course aren't publicly visible anyway.

Having said that, there has been slightly too much petty argument going on in this thread and as such some of it has been removed for the sake of flow. As I said on the previous page, if we could keep comments on topic and try to avoid perpetuating petty arguments then that would be great :)

The forum includes a report feature if you wish to flag up specific posts. We aren't like other forums though in that we prefer as much freedom as possible in regard to posts, rather than deleting huge rafts of discussion and banning members on the merest whim as you'll experience elsewhere. And much moderation consists of PM's which of course aren't publicly visible anyway.

Having said that, there has been slightly too much petty argument going on in this thread and as such some of it has been removed for the sake of flow. As I said on the previous page, if we could keep comments on topic and try to avoid perpetuating petty arguments then that would be great :)

Thank you, Alastair - I appreciate your response and agree with the freedom approach, it just seems to have gotten a little out of hand, of late.

Let's be happy, speculate on what we can, and look forward to having a brand new woodie to love, in the coming months :)

From my time here on the forum, there hasn't been much talk about the lift system. Is it confirmed to be a silent magnetic lift or is it a standard chain lift?

From my time here on the forum, there hasn't been much talk about the lift system. Is it confirmed to be a silent magnetic lift or is it a standard chain lift?

It does indeed use a chain lift system as there are chain cogs and returns installed during constriction.

It will not, however, contain the anti-rollback system that The Smiler pioneered because there is no room in the track spline for fins to retract and flop.

I do remember reading a long time ago about an anti rollback method advertised as a prototype which had a mechanical device which, in a forward constant momentum holds the chain lift dog upwards (removing contact with the lift teeth) and in the event of a stop, or slow down, would drop and engage like the original systems found on rides.

This was a couple of years ago and I can't remember which manufacturer's website I read it on - all I remember was that it was a prototype. :)

Last edited:
It did to me too. Is the SW8 section on the site outdated then? It says that a silent magnetic lift system (presumably it means LSM's) has been confirmed from the plans.

WickerManiac seems to think otherwise so I'm not sure. Either the information on this site is incorrect or we have our surprise element right there. But I do recall seeing the what looked like part of the chain mechanism being installed at the top of the lift hill during my last visit to the park.

I am also in the understanding that Gerstlauer have patented their anti-rollback system which they use for Infinity Coasters.

Plus, the lift hill on SW8, in my belief, is not even steep enough to use the system on The Smiler.

It could be something as simple as just standard magnetic breaks that open when trains are ascending but in the event of a shutdown or lift stop rise (like standard break run breaks). This is however very costly and would require lots of programming which would no doubt increase the complexity of the lift hill unnecessary. Not to mention they would require a flat, straight block brake (friction) section at the bottom of the lift hill to house the train if event of a stop because magnets cannot bring it the train to a complete stop - just slow it down to the bottom of the hill in a controlled manner in the event of a chain snap.:)

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.