• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Wicker Man - General Discussion - Part Two

The problem with doing 'show' stuff on a brake run is that it falls to the whims of the way the ride is operated, hence why most of the time the smoke effect was missed by many at start of the season due to the weird timing thing... Look at Mystic Timbers and many times are spent waiting in the SHED for ages until the scene actually starts when the train ahead dispatches...

About the only ride that has a 'post show' that works every time is Fluch von Novgorod, and that's down to it being a single car of guests so there's not much time spent waiting for the effect reset or next dispatch...

I think the breakrun would be better if they themed the maintenance shed and just turned the lights on

Problem with that is that the maintenance shed is still a maintenance shed; there’s only so much you can do with it, especially in terms of physical theming. If they had more lighting, more smoke effects, possibly some “burning” wicker effect in the roof above the train, maybe that could work.

I know it was said somewhere that the park wasn’t completely happy with it, so I imagine it’s possible something could be added. Probably nothing like what I’ve mentioned above mind. Maybe a simple lighting or projector effect if we are lucky.

I think the end tunnel is very simple but good, it's a basic effect but all you really need for a coaster punchline.

Whenever I've been on, the geysers have gone off while the train is still hurrying through, before it stops ahead of re entering the station. Or if there was already a train in the wait area, the train waiting behind still gets it in the face once it starts moving again.

More could have been done but overall I think they clearly put the budget in the right places for a complete experience. Had this been your typical Merlin coaster project, you know there'd have been nothing but empty tunnels all the way through the ride.

A interesting (or useless) fact about that effect. the trigger point must be on the transfer track, when it first opened train 3 stopped on the transfer track setting it off so people on train 2 kept getting sprayed when train 3 stopped. When train 3’s stopping point was moved further back it started triggering at the correct time.

I believe it’s right at the end of the transfer track, just before the bend. However at the start of the season it was located elsewhere, which often meant when the trains were stacking you didn’t get any of the smoke, but the train in front got it all.

You only really got it if it was on two trains.

So at some point they moved the sensor or altered it, so it only triggers just as you get to the smoke machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the tunnel and brake run, they could have had a final destination leading to the wicker man with two tracks. Lets say left track darkened and right track leading to wicker man highlighted. The train would be seemingly heading towards the wicker man (you're now his yeah), then at the last moment, the train heads left (although it would be always going left, just an illusion with the tracks and mechanics), with the tracks instantly switching left mechanically with the desired effects, back around the corner to the station.

It wouldn't need much bar special effects and a mechanism for the track with lighting.

It wouldn't need much bar special effects and a mechanism for the track with lighting.
By not needing much you're already talking many thousands of pounds, for a bigger building to hold the scene (access road is right next door), control, animation, lighting, fake track, and would have to be really good to match the thrill of the coaster you were riding 2 seconds ago, otherwise would come off completely redundant.

There could be all sorts of ideas for what could end a themed coaster, but I prefer a simple and punchy ending really. A great build up, whether this be a pre 'show' or just a themed build up to boarding the ride, a great thrilling coaster, followed by a pacy, no-nonsense ending.

Sure, the ending to Wicker Man seems a bit last minute, but it works pretty well I fink!

A bit of audio to hide the hiss of the fog machine and make it sound like a flame erupting might have sold the effect a bit more, along with the fog being pushed out with a bit more force. Otherwise I thought the end was a nice small addition.

Hopefully the effect lasts.

Yes the episodes need to be a tad longer but, being into the technical side, I think this is a good idea.

ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS MERLIN PR MACHINE AND ALL WHO RIDE IN HER!

This looks park-led. Merlin would have very little to do with each individual parks social media.

Therefore..
All hail the glorious Alton Towers PR machine.

Don't forget the park did campaigns such as bring a Gnome for free entry and several other silly headlines.

Yesterday's video has now been taken offline!

I did find find it strange because Alton Towers didn't share it on their official Twitter and Facebook sites. So then, after weeks of teasing Wicker Man has been put back on ice! :astonished:

Either it was uploaded prematurely or they've seen the negative comments and want to make a longer video?