• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

Am I the only one who thinks rebuilding the ride in near exact detail is crazy? There’s little historical merit because it’s just a copy of the original. Replicating the ride is just a list opportunity.

Having said that, a new ride which pays homage to the original would surely please everyone. It gives a nod to the old ride and uses the benefits that 30 years of technology would bring.

Having said that, a new ride which pays homage to the original would surely please everyone. It gives a nod to the old ride and uses the benefits that 30 years of technology would bring.

That is what I think they'll end up doing, that way the whole family can be pleased that the new attraction is what they want it to be. They also need to make sure that it's marketable, it will no doubt be costing a lot of money and could well be the only significant new addition in 2020.

So long as it is not screen and/or VR based!

:)

Europa have a history of doing projects that don't make a lot of sense financially.... their motives for building rides are somewhat multifaceted.

That is true, with Eurosat being a prime example and they've even said that themselves!

That is true, with Eurosat being a prime example and they've even said that themselves!
Indeed, the proposition could be 'because we want to' or because they have an opportunity to demonstrate a ride system that they hope to sell. The economics of building Blue Fire (bearing in mind they have sold six clones of it and many other rides using the same platform) are quite different than the Pleasure Beach building Icon.

Pretty sure much of the development will be funded by asset insurance. It is unlikely to impact on any other capex plans in the future
Quite possibly, but you'd be surprised how few rides are insured at a value that allows them to be rebuilt.

The thing is, though, Europa seems to be a successful and profitable enough business to pull this strategy off. It's certainly working well for them, as they pulled in 5.7million visitors in 2017 and have not seen a single attendance decrease since the TEA Attendance reports first started being written in 2006, which is absolutely insane!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Europa does not seem to care about the financial/profitability side of things as much as a corporate company like Merlin or Parques Reunidos would.

The only other companies I can genuinely think of who have the financial stability to be able to invest like Europa does are Disney and Universal. Which is a rather stunning testament to how far EP have come, when you think about it!

Others have the financial ability to invest like EP, just not the will/appetite to.

In the past we’ve heard that 2020 could be the next major coaster at EP. Could we have a circumstance where we get both a major coaster and the Piraten replacement? Throw in the planned new area, the Scandinavia rebuild and the water park and new hotel and the next couple of years could be very exciting at EP.

Others have the financial ability to invest like EP, just not the will/appetite to.

In the past we’ve heard that 2020 could be the next major coaster at EP. Could we have a circumstance where we get both a major coaster and the Piraten replacement? Throw in the planned new area, the Scandinavia rebuild and the water park and new hotel and the next couple of years could be very exciting at EP.
Regarding the next few years, personally i think we'll see investment levels along these lines:

2018: Eurosat/Madame F/Jim Button
2019: Scandinavia/Jungle Rafts redo/Kronasar/Rulantica phase 1
2020: Piraten replacement/Feria Swing enhancements
2021: Large coaster/new area phase 1
2022: New area phase 2 + support ride/Rulantica phase 2
2023: New hotel/Euro Mir/Bench/Russia rebuild

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Roland Mack has been giving his first interviews since the fire. There are several variations around where he says very similar things, however I have picked this one from 20 Minuten to share here:
20 Minuten said:
Mr. Mack, how bad was the fire for you?
That's like someone dies in the family. Being close to it and seeing a great deal of your life's work go up in flames within an hour is a new life experience and something you can not understand from one hour to the next. Although we do everything for safety and often rehearse the emergency, but you still would not even imagine this.

Did the fire scare away guests?
How we dealt with such a situation has awakened the guests' incredible confidence, as I have seen online. I am grateful that the rescue and fire-fighting measures worked like a clockwork - right now, at the worst possible time for such a thing. We are currently building a second park and a new hotel, as well as rebuilding the rollercoaster in the French village.

Does the accident delay other projects?
Not at all. For the last few weeks, I've been working to prevent that from happening. We were able to reintroduce the affected attractions to Batavia relatively quickly. For Batavia, we have built a team of architects, engineers and planners that is independent of the other projects.

And what is the team doing now?
At the moment we assume that we will rebuild the original of Batavia, also triggered by the voices in the net. I could never have imagined such heartrending comments. A little boy recently wrote me a letter saying he sacrificed his piggy bank. He already knew that 50 euros would not be enough to rebuild Batavia, but at least I could spend some ice cream for the people who helped on the bad luck day.

What does the damage cost?
There is no concrete number yet. It is clear that the damage costs a million, but I can not figure it out.

Are there any substitute offers?

If a facility fails, we make sure that other attractions are available to visitors. That's why we started the High Diving Show six weeks earlier, so that the program remains on par with the previous offer.

Now is the high season, are there long lines?
The holidays are already the stronger days. But I wonder how well the park is also visited outside the holiday months. We do not have as many peaks and troughs in visitor numbers as we used to. The difference between weekends and working days is no longer as uphill and downhill as it used to be.

So they've already got together an independent project team so that other projects are not impacted. And it sounds like the current plan is to re-build the original Pirates.

EP&CO have posted this photo which shows how demolition/clearing has been coming along:

36366254_227840931149220_6509094010206814208_n.jpg

Pirates has pretty much all been cleared now. It is interesting to see how Scandinavia was elevated above ground level by quite a fair bit!

You can also see in that photo how they have carried out repairs to a couple of buidlings and build a temporary scaffold maintenance platform for the Monorail.

Seeing that site be razed and levelled in just over a month is immense. Am I wrong in thinking you can still see Vineta's rockwork on the far side?

I've been meaning to share my thoughts on the rebuild of Scandinavia and Piraten in Batavia too and, well, I'm unsurprised. I understand why the Macks will want to keep the beloved Piraten alive for visitors and try to retain part of Ulrich Damrau's legacy. And whilst I don't wholly agree with the decision to re-incarnate Piraten (I'm especially not keen on Roland's wish for a near-identical rebuild), I hope Michael and Thomas push for modernisation so the park can improve on the technology and effects that were previously there. Without adding VR or screens, of course.

I have to agree. It seems a bit contradictory to want Pirates built exactly as it was.... while they are in the process of totally retheming Eurosat.

Seeing that site be razed and levelled in just over a month is immense. Am I wrong in thinking you can still see Vineta's rockwork on the far side?

You are indeed correct there, Vineta stands (for now).

Also, new banners have now been put up around the outside of Holland:

This is one of the most difficult posts that I have ever had to compose on TowersStreet. It is with great sadness that I must share with you all these two photos from Looopings.

The first was taken on Sunday. The second was taken today. Vineta; is gone.

DhP9BurXkAAAh4-.jpg

DhP9C2MW0AAD9Kn.jpg

I know we all have so many happy memories of this woderful attraction. The time spent together in the long queues for it, the surprise on the faces of first time visitors to the park who had no idea what it was.

It will be missed.

Having Pirates ready by Winter 2020 seems slightly more achieveable than during the Summer season, although it is still ambitious. Sounds like plans are well under way though!

I'd imagine that Scandinavia is more likely to be mid to late 2019, it's likely they will not be able to do some reconstruction work whilst Fjord Rafting is in operation.

If they are doing a recreatation , or even a partial recreation. Alot of the development time will be reduced, as they wont have to design as much.