• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

As it stands at the moment, it looks like Scandinavia has been completely destroyed along with Pirates. Rapids has the trough running parallel to Scandinavia. With those buildings being destroyed, it'll be unsafe to run the rapids with them being so close to the trough. The troll tunnel also finished just next to the Scandinavian buildings, so there is potential for further damage there too :(

I can't see rapids opening for quite a lengthy period in all honesty, even if the troll tunnel is ok.
Oh dear. Thanks for the update @Craig.

In my opinion, this looks to be a similar scale of incident to the Thorpe Park fire of 2000 and the Phantasialand fire of 2001. Both of these parks replaced the attractions that burned down with different attractions the following year, if that's anything at all to go by.

20180526_234813.jpg

Pictures don't really do it justice. Smoke is still billowing put from the site, even now :(

This is an awful event but it’s testiment to the organisation of this park that no one was injured, that they were able to continue running the rest of the rides as normal whilst this was going on and that the park will re-open tomorrow.

I have every confidence they will rebuild these areas as good as if not better than before.

Noooooo! The 'Rotherham Shopping Centre' passage!

In all seriousness, this is pretty awful. I was never much of a Batavia fan, but many people were, and thinking about how many hours must have gone into its initial construction and all the tinkering that's been done to it since makes its loss a real shame. As a big fan of EP's F&B offerings, Fjordrestaurant and Bamboe Baai are probably what I'll miss the most, though the greatest loss for all guests has to be that lovely Scandinavia street section.

On the plus side, nobody's been hurt, and EP wouldn't be EP if it wasn't likely that either a better Scandinavia and trundling-past-scenes boat ride or something entirely new and brilliant will rise from the ashes.

Early morning at Europa Park...

DeLU1a5WsAAk8CP

Now time to assess the damage... :(

Update from Europa-Park Sprecher:
Current information:
According to fire brigade firefighters, the fire has been extinguished in the meantime and there are still a few re-firing work in progress. The park opens at 9.00 as planned. Unfortunately, the topics Scandinavia and Holland are currently not available.

This currently affects the attractions: Pirates in Batavia, Koffiekopjes, Vindjammer and Fjord Rafting.
We ask for your understanding, if some processes may not work perfectly smoothly.
The most up to date information regarding park and attraction operations can be found here: http://digitale-medien-ep.de/

Last edited:
Considering how quickly the fire spread, I’m amazing at how fast they were able to clear not only 2 highly congested areas, but also evac Pirates, which let’s face it, is not a fast ride cycle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering how quickly the fire spread, I’m amazing at how fast they were able to clear not only 2 highly congested areas, but also evac Pirates, which let’s face it, is not a fast ride cycle!
I can't imagine they'd have done a running offload - they'd surely have stopped and used evac point around the ride (sure there used to be underwater boat stops dotted around the track).

But any which way, yeh, the response to the situation seems to be incredible, and the apparent lack of any casualties or worse is a huge testament to the park - coordinating a serious incident of this scale is an insane task, but seems it was done point-perfectly.

The park has confirmed it will reopen tomorrow and an announcement or update of some sort is anticipated just beforehand.

Goes to show how different the attitude of the parks in Europe are compared to the UK. As the saying goes, "the show must go on no matter what." If this was to happen here in the UK, the park would remain closed for the next few days, weeks or even months.

Good on them, fire can cause so much damage, not just what gets burnt down, but you will have smoke damage as well as water damage from putting the fire out.

That will be smouldering for days, even weeks. There was a fire in Great Yarmouth a few years back when the bowling alley and indoor-market burnt down, That was still smouldering for many weeks afterwards.

Some images from the ground on Looopings Twitter.

Holland:
13fa25c953a09f2ccfeb69ccaa85ebb2.jpg

18e5a2bdd7983008fffbc2422ce104de.jpg

a58b34b179816f212d7b6a453ee8c8c6.jpg

There is still a presence of firefighters on park, and still plenty of smoke which I imagine depicts why the Rulantica Preview Centre and FoodLoop remain closed:
07442d224273d5fc9c785c182d602c43.jpg

Scandinavia:
b6852f3694f6153bc2b38e2290079c3e.jpg

3e2c37f8245f4aa4f0095dcf2fb2d7a3.jpg
af8ad1289b5823626251961ff233ec94.jpg
cebc642100cc95057d43aac5ec225015.jpg
3ddc946331ccdbf499029ff423cd37a9.jpg

There's also this video from the Monorail: