• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

2019: Scandinavia & Snorri Touren

Not a very good sight... :(

DeMoHdRXkAErxED

The Norwegian Church is absolutely fine, otherwise the monorail wouldn't be running and photos show no damage. I would imagine since the other areas were well alight and pretty much lost they concentrated on damping down surrounding places (including the church) to avoid any further spread of the fire.

The main work will now no doubt be to clear the site and work towards getting the rapids up and running again. I would imagine we'll see some sort of pathway opened once this is done and rebuilding likely starting in the closed season. I'd be surprised if they managed to rebuild and reopen Pirates for next season though. With a full order book at Mack, a massively large ride and a very limited time to procure ride equipment I can't see them getting anything until 2020. That said, this is Germany!

Speaking to @AstroDan earlier, he said away from the affected area you'd be hard pressed to tell that anything at all had happened, yet alone anything on this scale. The work they've put in to get things up and running is pretty astounding.

Away from Europa, I think it's maybe unfair to say other parks would not have opened. Most would after an incident as long as it's safe to do so, afterall they have guests who've made travel plans etc. The incidents at Drayton and Alton are different as people were severely injured or killed, meaning you've then got the PR tightrope to walk on whether it is morally right to reopen along with safety checks/investigations where necessary.

Away from Europa, I think it's maybe unfair to say other parks would not have opened. Most would after an incident as long as it's safe to do so, afterall they have guests who've made travel plans etc. The incidents at Drayton and Alton are different as people were severely injured or killed, meaning you've then got the PR tightrope to walk on whether it is morally right to reopen along with safety checks/investigations where necessary.

Wasn’t the last major fire in the UK at Thorpe park back in 2000? I remember the park opened the next day.

Great to see the efforts though from all at Europa to provide a service today under circumstances that can’t be easy.

A bit of an update from @AstroDan. There's still issues across the resort caused by the fire including:
  • Water is off/limited in some locations. For example FoodLoop is serving via paper plates at present
  • Card payments can't be accepted across the resort so cash only at the moment
  • E-Mails can't be replied to at present
  • Queue boards at ride entrances are off
The buildings and offices behind Pirates are pretty much the nerve centre of the park, so it would seem a lot of their IT operation has been badly affected.

Similar in a way to the fire at Nottingham Railway Station earlier this year, the majority of their back end operations were based next to where the main fire was seated. Glad to see the park open and trying to make the best of it!

I know it's a huge fire but I don't doubt for a second that Europa will bounce back even better from this. It'll cost a lot of money and it will take time but the areas affected (and the park's infrastructure) will be back better than ever

Just feel so bad for the Mack's seeing their life's work go up in flames like that

Reactions: Ted
In true German efficiency there are diggers clearing out the areas already.

By the looks of it we now have a thunderstorm starting. Hopefully that won't interfere with the clean up too much.

I am truly devastated by this awful fire; I still cannot quite believe that it has happened. I have never been a big fan of Pirates but it is one of the biggest rides at the park and such a huge show building. Scandinavia however was one of my favourite theme park areas anywhere in the world. That street is a perfect example of why Europa-Park is what it is. Fjord Restaurant was a delight, as were the two little shops.

There seems to have been a major impact also on some back stage operations. The costume department has been totally destroyed; some staff are wearing park merchandise today.

It is incredible that no one was injured in this fire. Europa-Park must take great credit for a swift evacuation during a fire that seemed to take off and spread extremely quickly. And then to get things going again this morning is quite something.

The Mack family pour their heart and souls in to Europa-Park, along with all of the other staff. I cannot imagine what they have been feeling over the past 24 hours. But I know they will demand that the show must go on!

Going forward, I do hope that Scandinavia is re-built as it was. But for now the priority has to be getting things back to business as usual.

EDIT:

It's just hit me that Fjord Rafting runs right under where the fire seems to have started. There is so much work to be done to recover from this.

:)

Last edited:
The drone footage is both amazing and devastating with regard to the scale of damage. I surely can't be the only person who's finding the backing music in that video to be a tad creepy...?

It makes me so sad seeing that footage. The juxtaposition of beauty and destruction.

Don't suppose anyone who knows a bit of German is able to give a summary of what the park officials were saying?

It makes me so sad seeing that footage. The juxtaposition of beauty and destruction.

Don't suppose anyone who knows a bit of German is able to give a summary of what the park officials were saying?

The auto translated captions work fairly well these days, hit the subtitles/closed captions button, then settings and choose auto-translate for the language :)

Reactions: Rob
Looks like they should be able to recover what is left of the fountain/sculpture in the street. I really cannot believe the devastation though.

Is there any indication of what started it yet? Probably too early to tell, or even if they have and idea, they might not say until furher investigations are made. But it's worth asking.

Nothing has been officially confirmed at the moment, there was stuff floating around that it was a faulty motor that started it, but the park responded to that just saying 'investigations are ongoing', so nothing concrete that's out in the open yet.

Is there any indication of what started it yet? Probably too early to tell, or even if they have and idea, they might not say until furher investigations are made. But it's worth asking.

No idea, just that they think it was in a warehouse next to Pirates and that a full investigation by various authorities is well under way.

Looking at the pictures this Fire could have been so much worse. What has been lost is completely destroyed but Holland is mostly standing and Fjord seems to have miraculously remained unscathed.

Does anyone have a layout for Batavia? I’m trying to work out from the above image where the different scenes should be.

Well the layouts of all buildings, showing fire exits and evac routes, are posted at their entrance, so I'd have thought someone must have taken a quick snap of it at some point.