• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Remeber, when comparing prices for anything like for like, you have to adjust for inflation to get a somewhat more accurate representation.

4 million in 1999, when Hex would have been paid for, is close to 6.7 million in todays money. ;)

This was my point, I just fudged the maths.

I also assume that a low spend year capex is not £5m? Is there any examples of £3-5m investments after a SW year?

I'm also still curious as to whether this will come from a seperate budget as it's 'second gate'.

I also assume that a low spend year capex is not £5m? Is there any examples of £3-5m investments after a SW year?
I think CBeebies Land cost something like £9m the year after The Smiler.

I think CBeebies Land cost something like £9m the year after The Smiler.

It would be interesting to know if some of that cost was provided by the BBC, or if Merlin paid for the IP. Potentially it would be a way for the BBC to increase their viewership. On the other hand, Alton quite clearly would have received increased revenue from the IP.

I was thinking with the dungeons going into the old catcf building will they gut the whole inside of the original building and remove the boat system altogether and concrete it all over so they could then build rooms and it ends up in the lift room which could become the shop and then you exit where you do now.

I won't be impressed if they remove the boat system. That would scupper the potential for a proper ride in the future for the sake of a quick gimmick.

I won't be impressed if they remove the boat system. That would scupper the potential for a proper ride in the future for the sake of a quick gimmick.
That boat sailed (pun intended) when they sliced up the old track and shortened it to make Charlie.
I think we should give up on the dream of Merlin ever building a proper dark ride.

Nothing to stop them building a completely different style of dark ride after Dungeons is gone...

Aside from the whole, won't spend the money required...

That boat sailed (pun intended) when they sliced up the old track and shortened it to make Charlie.
I think we should give up on the dream of Merlin ever building a proper dark ride.
I don't think they actually changed the route of the boat ride at all, they just moved the boarding station up from the old Toyland Tours one, and added a disembarkation station around the point where Sonic used to be.

The entirety of the party scene area is (or was) still there, gutted and painted black.

I don't think they actually changed the route of the boat ride at all, they just moved the boarding station up from the old Toyland Tours one, and added a disembarkation station around the point where Sonic used to be.

The entirety of the party scene area is (or was) still there, gutted and painted black.

They did, they cut through the scene before the party one (where the train went) to add a new offload station. As seen here.
The picture is looking towards the party scene. The new offload station seen here, cuts through exactly where the toy train used to be.

Looking the other way...towards the Sonic and bathtub scene...

They did, they cut through the scene before the party one (where the train went) to add a new offload station. As seen here, the picture is looking towards the party scene. The new offload station seen here, cuts through exactly where the toy train used to be.

Looking the other way...
Ah yes, the mind plays tricks.

Hardly a massive shortcut though. Plan here shows the change quite neatly (numbered 6).

Can't say I'm entirely fussed over this, I doubt they would want to spend the money to remove the boat system especially when they can just use it to copy and paste more bits of other Dungeons in that use the ride system.

SVtrykf_d.jpg

More staff required

Given the recruitment issues they've had this season, I really hope they struggle to staff this. Maybe then they can sack it off before it's even had the opportunity to open...

Just my thinking. They struggled to fill the scare actor vacancy for the scarefest, I just hope that they manage to recruit enough actors to fill the attraction

I don't see it as a good thing that a free attraction (Charlie) is getting replaced with a paid-for one. But given the Dungeon at Warwick Castle is an extra charge, I don't think its an issue that the AT one will be. The Warwick Castle one is a copy-paste of most others as well (judge scene, doctor scene and torturer scene seem to be in every dungeon). If this was opening alongside a re-done dark ride in the Charlie building and the dungeon was an extra new attraction in the Towers it would be perfect. But as the only new attraction for 2019, nope.