• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Admittedly it's not the most imaginative facade out there, but I don't think it looks terrible by any means! The castle part looks quite nice; kind of reminds me of the old London Dungeon exterior in a nice kind of way!

A couple more photos for your viewing [dis]pleasure. Honestly, words can’t even describe. I wasn't expecting anything amazing, very far from it, but this!? Even with Merlin’s track record, I wasn’t prepared.

D1Nv6kcWwAEKY-U

D1NzOFEXgAAhsSz

Definitely a nice touch that they've redone the Burger Kitchen slightly to fit in (looks slightly more subtle with darker shades to me), and I don't think the Dungeons facade looks as terrible as some say it is. They kind of had to be subtle about it because it's so near to Cloud Cuckoo Land; a huge, detailed horror facade might have scared kids a bit, if you get what I mean.

I mean, I still think the dungeons is a crap idea and it makes no sense to have it in CCL but I just don't think it looks as bad as people are saying. The entrance looks nice enough and I like the wooden posts flanking it on either side.

I mean, I still think the dungeons is a crap idea and it makes no sense to have it in CCL but I just don't think it looks as bad as people are saying. The entrance looks nice enough and I like the wooden posts flanking it on either side.
I agree. As I said above, it's not the most original or elaborate facade ever done, but I think it looks nice enough; the wooden posts look nice, and the facade looks subtle enough that it'll just blend into the scenery for young kids in the area; if they'd done a big, elaborate horror facade, they might have gotten loads of complaints about scared kids.

Last edited:
Merlin to Towers ... build a Dungeons!
Towers ... :weary: ok yea, whatever. Here ya go. Sorted
This is a Merlin Studios (MMM) project, the park have no design say in the exterior

This is sarcasm right?

Definitely a nice touch that they've redone the Burger Kitchen slightly to fit in
How on earth does any of this 'fit in'? The restaurant just looks the same, in slightly uglier colours than before.

This facade is the worst facade ever made at Alton Towers. There's really no need for 'well I like the wood' apologies. The only thought that's been put into this is how much money can we save.

I really don't buy this excuse. It could have still been done tastefully and to a decent standard. Saying because it's near Cloud Cuckoo Land they have to chain a load of logs to the wall so it doesn't scare kids isn't really an excuse.

We're not saying it had to have eyeballs popping out and blood squirting over the path, even if they'd just made the building look completely like a castle it'd have been an improvement.

Last edited:
I really don't buy this excuse. It could have still been done tastefully and to a decent standard. Saying because it's near Cloud Cuckoo Land they have to chain a load of logs to the wall so it doesn't scare kids isn't really an excuse.

We're not saying it had to have eyeballs popping out and blood squirting over the path, even if they'd just made the building look completely like a castle it'd have been an improvement.

There may well have been the smallest hint of sarcasm in my post.

Out of interest, where are these photos being found? As I haven't seen any online from anywhere else in the park.

Also, TowersStreet's main page implies that the Dungeons are being considered part of The Towers/Fountain Square as opposed to Cloud Cuckoo Land.