2019: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WL18, 4th Nov 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WickerManiac

WickerManiac TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Colossus
    The vinyl looks a bit cut off. The border doesn't even fit!

djtruefitt likes this.
  2. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Meh. I’m more annoyed that the shades of yellow used on the words “The” and “Smiler” still don’t match :p

WickerManiac likes this.
  3. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

Interestingly I noticed that a lot of outlets where doing a roaring trade in beer (woodcutters, welcominn and coffee shack ) I guess that's all the families

4. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

That is interesting, shocking really how you have managed to turn a whole argument upside down on in park alcohol sales. Especially as it’s a requirement for adult family members to remain t-total at all times....

Seriously though, no one is suggesting that other groups don’t contribute to income. But you have to be walking around with eyes closed to not see that parks put a lot of time and money into the family market and they wouldn’t be doing that if it didn’t pay dividends in the end.

Islander and altongeek like this.
  5. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Really sad to see nemesis with much smaller queue than other rides. I know it's throughout is better but still remember the days when it was upto 3 hours

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. bluesonichd

bluesonichd TowersStreet Member

[​IMG]
    And the Towers are closed again :mad:

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    They were open?

8. bluesonichd

Was in there two weeks ago. Not that there was much access to anywhere. :(
    Lots of locked doors still.
    Would think now ToTT is gone they would open up that area

Skyscraper likes this.
  9. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Probably ready for tomorrow.

10. DistortAMG

DistortAMG TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean (DLP)
    I do not own a MAP. Neither does my family consisting of my girlfriend and our two young children. (Between age 4 and 7)

We usually visit Alton twice a year, we make a proper go of it and it is a treat out for the kids as much as it is for ourselves.

We pay for entry, usually discounted through my work, so just a little bit cheaper than 2 for 1 for all members of my family. As it is a treat, we eat at the restaurants and food outlets on the park, for dinner, snacks, drinks, as that is part of the treat in my eyes. That alone usually adds up to a fair bit. We might pay for a few mid way games, always a few on ride photos and always souvenirs.

If we visited lots, we probably would be bringing our own food, however as we visit once or twice a year usually, we take full advantage of it and pay for quite a lot on park. I would suspect that a hell of alot of families,if not the majority that come through the gates visit once or twice a year too. As a quick guess, I think I easily spend more than £200 at Alton for a visit, maybe even well over £250, including entry, food, snacks, drinks, photos, souvenirs etc. I can't put an exact figure on it as I must admit I do not really tally up how much I spend, I know not everyone is in that position, but without a doubt, families spend more. 1000% they do.

I know people won't be happy about giving Merlin so much hard earned cash, but ya know, I would be, but seeing your family have a great time is worth far more than that. So outweighs it. But even so, that cost is not much, not for a family of 4. Not at all.

Last edited: 20th Apr 2019
    Robert.W likes this.
  11. Slugjc

Slugjc TowersStreet Member

I was thinking that on Thursday. All the overgrown queue lines too. Then I thought that reason it has a short queue, is unlike the other on that day. It was the only one not to suffer Down time. The old girl is showing its sisters how it's done.

Skyscraper likes this.
  12. bluesonichd

Nemmy is always run on point. No faff. Bish bash bosh. Get them in and out.
    Unlike all the other faffy rides

Skyscraper likes this.
  13. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

It’s an easy ride to keep flowing, doesn’t require effort to keep the trains moving and high capacity per train helps too.

Oblivion is the same to some extent when on 2 stations.

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. ScottishChris

ScottishChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Legend
    I think that you also have the issue that Nemesis is a bit older and compared to many of the rides in the park it no longer holds a gimmick. For me Nemesis is in my top 5 world-wide coasters, but for those just looking for cheap thrills (forgive the phrase) - 14 inversions, a drop track or a mildly-fast launch may seem to be more of a draw.

I can never understand the lines for Wickerman. To me it is amazingly themed, but the ride is 'meh' at best. As someone who loves woodies (I'm noticing a lot of innuendo in this post..) it doesn't do much for me - I even think Nick Streak is technically a better wooden coaster and more thrilling Don't get me wrong, the ride is fine and a sub-20 min queue is acceptable - but waiting an hour.... seriously?

15. Robert.W

Robert.W TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Wicker Man is a great all round experience though, it’s not really about the coaster on its own, it’s about the who package; the theming, the effects, the story, and the coaster. And with the family market seemingly more lucrative than the thrill market is a present I can understand why they’ve made it a ride for the whole family. And it also helps fill a gap in the parks lineup, and although they’re still very much lacking in family rides, it’s something at least. They didn’t need another thrill coaster.

Skyscraper likes this.
  16. ScottishChris

ScottishChris TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Legend
    Oh, I agree.... To a certain extent. What I don't agree with is it being a family ride. Well, the coaster is, but everything that surrounds it isn't. If it were a family coaster, I could understand it. But to take a maily into the preshow and tell them they are about to be burnt to death....

I would say the ride was a bit of an own-goal... But clearly it isn't going by the lines. I find the whole thing really puzzling, but I guess that I'm in the wrong!

17. AGL

AGL TowersStreet Member

Are the travellers on site today?

We came last Easter Sunday and wondered why we couldn’t get in the priority cat park and there were police everywhere!

18. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Priority cat park.
    These modern parks think of everything.

MattyH, IanSR, djtruefitt and 3 others like this.
  19. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Towers are so into the family market that they've closed 5 family attrations in the last few years, replacing one with a 1.2mtr height restricted coaster themed around being burned alive and another with an upsell horror themed dungeon. They've also turned their family rapids ride into a boring gentle boat ride and shrunk one of their family areas and left it looking abandoned.

But then we did get Peter Rabbit for pre schoolers to compensate so....

b2311e, DiogoJ42 and ScottishChris like this.
  20. themeparkfan

themeparkfan TowersStreet Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.