• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Stargazing Pods

Call me weird but... I LOVE these pods! I’ve only seen photos of these, and I think they look quite decent. There are PLUG SOCKETS NEXT TO THE BED, for goodness sake! I know that these are quite expensive for what they are, but this is Alton Towers, and you don’t expect Travelodge prices! I personally don’t mind sharing a toilet with random strangers, and to avoid the morning shower queues, I’ll take a shower the evening before. Easy!

Call me weird but... I LOVE these pods! I’ve only seen photos of these, and I think they look quite decent. There are PLUG SOCKETS NEXT TO THE BED, for goodness sake! I know that these are quite expensive for what they are, but this is Alton Towers, and you don’t expect Travelodge prices! I personally don’t mind sharing a toilet with random strangers, and to avoid the morning shower queues, I’ll take a shower the evening before. Easy!

Well Alton/Merlin certainly saw you coming :p

Call me weird...but this is Alton Towers, and you don’t expect Travelodge prices!

But if i’m paying more than Travelodge / Premier Inn I expect the same things both chains offer as minimum. If you book a couple of months in advance you can get Hanley Premier Inn for £38 a room! That’s a newly built hotel with air con, 42inch TV, bath with shower and a decent restaurant attached.

To be fair to Towers, they will probably expect a small premium for the great location. When you wake up, you havn't got to sort out travel to the Theme Park, because you're already there. Other than that they're just a bog standard no frills roof over your head for the night, so they shouldn't be costing the earth. I could quite happily stay in one if I needed to stay nearby, but I wouldn't pay a lot for it.

The sheds look completely uninspired. You'd think there would at least be vinyls in there to replicate stars, considering they're meant to be 'stargazing pods'. Instead it's just bland wood. And you just know it'll be around the £80 to stay in one of these.

I'm probably not the target audience (I much prefer having my own bathroom to using a communal one), but it doesn't stop me from feeling disappointed. They should've just put the money into Splash Landings instead.

Will there be a wheelchair friendly pod? These are certainly no good for Jess' wheelchair, far too small.

Not that we are interested in staying in one, but just making a point of making sure that wheelchair users will have the same rights to the option of having the same choice to stay in a budget resort stay.

Young people have jobs too you know :rolleyes:

I'm on about people in their 20s, not school age kids. They are called children, not young people :p
Sorry Mako, but school age children are young people too.
Worked with the little darlings for decades, they were not kids, not children, but young people, all of them, all of the time.
Any other term was deemed incorrect by my employers.

Will there be a wheelchair friendly pod? These are certainly no good for Jess' wheelchair, far too small.

Not that we are interested in staying in one, but just making a point of making sure that wheelchair users will have the same rights to the option of having the same choice to stay in a budget resort stay.

The original planning application (before they changed the layout) stated that anyone who needed an accessible pod would automatically be assigned an accessible Woodland Lodge in the EV for no extra charge.

Whether that is still the plan I do not know.

The Stargazing Pods now meet their name sake.

A telescope mounted to a wooden pole between a group of pods.

Photo posted to the MAP FB group:

40460883_10217015106874963_2990584650168008704_n.jpg

Magical.

The Stargazing Pods now meet their name sake.

A telescope mounted to a wooden pole between a group of pods.

Photo posted to the MAP FB group:

40460883_10217015106874963_2990584650168008704_n.jpg

Magical.
Just imagine the arguments between kids wanting a go, and the parents regretting booking the pods. :oops: