2019: Stargazing Pods

Discussion in 'Planning Portal' started by Matt N, 7th Nov 2017.

1. Log Flume's Dennis

Log Flume's Dennis TowersStreet Member

you can still stargaze, you just have to sleep on the floor with your head poking out of the door

b2311e, RicketyCricket and DiogoJ42 like this.
  2. Kraken27

Kraken27 TowersStreet Member

I agree that the pictures from the preview day show an improvement to the Pig Farm sheds (not exactly difficult). Definitely not for me & I think Towers are way out on the pricing too - will see what happens there.

The one thing I noticed about the paving is that some of it is topped off in a cream-ish colour & some of it is just plain black tarmac (in one of the pictures the tarmac has huge cracks in it too) - hope this is not newly-laid stuff & just an old path being reused to keep costs down. I assume (or hope) the toppings will be sorted before opening day.

Also agree that the lack of paths to each pod is going to do little to help the state of the interior floors. Paths through the grass will get worn by guests and the paths will get muddy in inclement weather.

Robert.W likes this.
  3. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    The pods certainly look better from within the area than from the outside, but I still think the whole thing looks poor and has been poorly thought out. And it's telling that none of Alton Towers official press photos show the inside of these pods, I can only assume that is because they know how god awful they actually are!

The idea of there being a credible backstory for these is also laughable.

One positive is that they plan to use the tipi for as a bar and for entertainment. That should ease some of the burden on the existing hotels, although evening meal options are still limited.

b2311e, DiogoJ42 and Robert.W like this.
  4. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

Yup, there's still paving to finish at the moment so the black won't be sticking around. I think that was laid to stop the ground being churned up before the lighter stuff is put down as a final surface.

5. Mi-Nigle

Mi-Nigle TowersStreet Member

Most of AT's endeavours these days leave me with feelings of despair, sadness and a general "What are they thinking?!", but I always have a sliver of hope reserved for the small possibility they might actually work. I have no such hope for the Stargazing Pods. :(

The most recent photos do make me think "it's not as crap as I first imagined", but that's hardly glowing feedback...

Robert.W likes this.
  6. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    Then you are either blind, an idiot, or a paid Merlin shill. Pick one and be done with it.

MattyH, Matt N, Poopoohead and 3 others like this.
  7. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

We normally go through the "not as bad as expected " motions on here which I think if Merlin where reading this forum sometimes they would take that as a compliment.

Not me though, to me they look as bad in pictures and video as I was expecting.

8. Craig

Craig TS Administrator Team Member

I think we're capable of understanding that people can have opposing opinions without publicly calling them blind, idiots or shills...

Stuie, ihaveaspergers, Danny and 3 others like this.
  9. DiogoJ42

DiogoJ42 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Metropolitan Line
    I must have been lurking around ATS for too long.

KingNemesis likes this.
  10. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Still looks like a pig farm to me.

If this dropped to less than £40 a night it might be a success but I can’t see people being happy to have paid £120 to stay here and I genuinely don’t believe the marketing has been truely reflective of what guests are getting.

Last edited: 14th Mar 2019 at 1:59 PM
  11. danni87

danni87 TowersStreet Member

Usually wait to judge until I’ve seen something in person but c’mon. How are people still having optimism for this?!

Last edited: 14th Mar 2019 at 9:54 PM
    Rob, Croftybaby, b2311e and 3 others like this.
  12. Danny

Danny Contribute Author

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £20 (per person) to have to stumble many yards through the middle of the night for a tinkle*, feel like I'm in a prison block for a shower, whilst to top it off, queuing up at the abandoned rope course (which is already starting to look like an urbexers overgrown paradise) for a paper bag with a cold bacon/sausage muffin in it in the morning.

*Yes I'm aware I could do it in the side of the shed. I suppose it would make it look a little more appealing tbf.

13. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I just don't get it. I usually pay about £60-80 for a BnB and that has a really nice room with a big comfortable bed, heating, Wifi and a TV and my own bathroom. There's also a bar on site and the Breakfast there is great. And it's 10 mins away from the park.

A fool is easily parted with his money so the expression goes......I'm sure these pods will be relatively full at peak times. There's an abundance of sheep and fools in this country that Merlin thrive on.

CSLKenny and DiogoJ42 like this.
  14. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Maelstrom (Drayton Manor)
    Surprised no one's posted this yet...

Matt N likes this.
  15. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I watched it an hour ago. Shawn was his usual polite self but you can see in his face and in his summary at the end of the video that he knows it's awful. He just can't say that it is as he likes Towers giving him access to preview and press events. It's a bit of dilemma for him. He can't bite the hand that feeds him too much.

I think he might even receive money from parks these days to attend and post positive reviews of new attractions on his channel. Clever from the parks too if they do. Very cheap advertising for them.

16. Poopoohead

Poopoohead TowersStreet Member

Is that his full time employment now?

17. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yup!

posted a few pages ago about the Vloggers. They love it! Being taken around on a coach, probably a free lunch. You get to wear a Hi-Viz and hard hat. Just make sure you say the right things now or you wont be back next year!

These pods are fine. For £80 a night! NOT £120/£160

DiogoJ42, skyscraper and Poopoohead like this.
  18. Britford

Britford TowersStreet Member

£80 A NIGHT!?

DiogoJ42 and skyscraper like this.
  19. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

Crofty, cmon man £80 a night? that isn't like you, you aren't yourself.

20. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I think he does also run his own DJ business with Alex Crump, but I'm not too sure.

As for his opinion on the pods, maybe that's what Shawn genuinely thinks instead of just what he's saying. He didn't seem any less honest than he is in his other non-press event videos to me!

Poopoohead likes this.