• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Wayne Burton has commented on TowersStreet's Facebook photos of the facade saying that it is a work in progress, so I'd presume the remaining Charlie theming will be replaced with wooden fencing before 23rd March.

It looks like the entrance to a travelling ghost train. In fact, that would be an insult to travelling ghost trains.

What a car crash.

Burger Kitchen just having grey paint slopped over it, job done? How depressing.

I thought the frontage looks like Dr. Umboto’s Catacombs at West Midlands Saferi Park.

Personally, I think a ghost train would have been a much better attraction than the current dungeons that they have just installed :rolleyes:

I just had a thought; the wood makes it look kind of fort-like. Maybe that was their intention? If that's the case; very clever thinking, Towers!

I don't know how much can be added in 2 weeks. I believe it would look a bit better if the dungeons promotion posters from scarefest were placed along the wood.
That’s all they could do to hide the wood and it’s not out of place as other dungeons tend to have banners out the front

Merlin have proven themselves the worst theme park operators in living memory and after these images no alternative argument exists. No care for guest experience, dictated and based upon short termism, and failing to understand the basic concept of what a ‘good’ theme park is supposed to deliver and be. Rtp capex drops and the slump in the wider UK industry continues. Nothing new really.

If anyone is honestly planning to visit and go to this Dungeon rubbish, I would be interested in knowing why

Wayne Burton has commented on TowersStreet's Facebook photos of the facade saying that it is a work in progress, so I'd presume the remaining Charlie theming will be replaced with wooden fencing before 23rd March.

please be under no illusion this is nothing more than damage control

just like the Duel 'tlc' was work in progress then just stayed the same....it'll just be more wood cladding or grey walls

Also to those that might hope we'll see some decent theming inside...Merlin don't do interesting tableaux's or unique quirky scenery anymore, especially not in the Dungeons. It'll be brown and grey walls and boxes, with projections and air cannons...lots of air cannons

please be under no illusion this is nothing more than damage control

just like the Duel 'tlc' was work in progress then just stayed the same....it'll just be more wood cladding or grey walls

Also to those that might hope we'll see some decent theming inside...Merlin don't do interesting tableaux's or unique quirky scenery anymore, especially not in the Dungeons. It'll be brown and grey walls and boxes, with projections and air cannons...lots of air cannons
Difference is Wayne didn't say anything about duel did he?
I have confidence in him!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

Difference is Wayne didn't say anything about duel did he?
I have confidence in him!

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk
To be fair to @waffa Last year it was stated Duel would improve over the season and it was work in progress, nothing did appear to improve and I’m hoping this past closed season they have kept their word and continued “TLC” on it.

Yes clearly today’s photo doesn’t show a complete product so will reserve full judgment until 2 weeks time but it does appear the outside is basically a bodge job of hiding anything Charlie related.

Last edited:
I’m not sure how AT can claim that the awfulness of Duel’s TLC was ever a work in progress, with the inference it would get better. We’re they going to add even more lights to the already over-illuminated interior? The changes made to the lighting didn’t just require tweaks, they were just completely the wrong lights, which bathed the previously hidden set piece mechanisms in a clumsy light, which is far too bright. Completely ruining the previous atmosphere and mystique. That’s not a work in progress, it’s just ham-fisted implementation. And they ain’t gonna fix it properly because they will not spend the money to employ a real professional.

As for this abomination, I keep thinking it can’t get worse and then...

words fail me

I mean, if it was a world’s first they were after, worlds first dungeon built out of logs I guess. In seriousness, the main problem is that it’s just not realistic to what authentic dungeons look like and clearly that is because the budget didn’t allow for anything better, not because Merlin wanted to look that way. At the very least, I expected some nice gothic architecture that would at least relate back to the Towers themselves :/