• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The Alton Towers Dungeon

Probably just not decided what they are doing yet, they only moved the fireworks back a few weeks ago. Also don’t forget the Dungeons is a midway attraction so will likely have different budgets and operating management to the park in some respects.

Not reducing opening times
a9cc1yS_d.jpg

I can hear the sighs of some dissapointed keyboard warriors from here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can hear the sighs of some dissapointed keyboard warriors from here

Keyboard warrior and people who discuss a topic on a discussion forum are two different things really.

There is a lot of criticism of the dungeons and the limited evidence available (park giving away free tickets, slots never fully booked), suggest something a lot of people felt was a folly may be being born out.

Sometimes geeks are right (sub-terra, Ghost train, zufari, I’m a celeb etc) sometimes geeks are wrong (wicker man).

But that’s kinda the point of the forums.

Get, Set, Go!

3 rides over the weekend and the sound worked only once. Does have a new fence in the queue line, though.

Bits of CBeebies are looking really tatty and unloved. Almost untouched in 5 years...

Edit: sorry, wrong thread! Grateful if someone could move.

Last edited:
It’s a mixed up area of the park, up there. The big square near woodcutter’s feels very empty with the stalls having been removed and hauling kids all the way up there for a carousel and pointless frog hopper now is a long way for little reward.

I'm not doubting Merlin's operational skills as they clearly can operate a theme park, I was just questioning that particular decision.

I can only assume you made a typo error. You must have meant one of the following statements.

I'm not doubting Tussaud's operational skills as they clearly can operate a theme park, I was just questioning that particular decision.

I am doubting Merlin's operational skills as they clearly can't operate a theme park, I am questioning that particular decision.

A roasted chicken from Tesco's hot counter could operate a theme park better than Merlin.

I'm not doubting Roland Mack and co's operational skills as they clearly can operate a theme park, I was just questioning that particular decision.

I find it quite hilarious that this is doing so bad after such a short time. I would like to think someone is in hot water at Merlin for such a badly thought out attraction, given their track record though, that will not be the case. Congratulations all round!

Last edited:
I would urge some caution in using available slots as a metric as to whether the attraction is meeting expectation. The park itself can host ~28,000 people on any given day, but often doesn't get half that many. That doesn't represent failure or anything close to. KPIs will be related to revenue and margin, it's very possible to do what you need to do on both of those fronts without selling out every slot - standalone midways do!

It's a new attraction and a fairly new concept in terms of bringing a paid for Midway brand into RTP. Chopping and changing will be required to find the formula that works.

My favourite review of the Dungeon from Trip Advisor...

“...the new attraction consists of a courtroom theatre scene then fairly short ghost train style boat ride through a small interior canal followed by four more rooms of theatre. Each theatre section is an 'interactive' audience participation sequence that is excruciatingly overacted, and all of the humour is based on pulling an embarrassed member out of the group and making fun of them for a few minutes. The jokes all fell flat, our group trooped from room to room in near silence and the overemphasised regional accents and screeching delivery made the experience pretty much incomprehensible to the non native English speakers in the group.

Most oddly, although the overall tone seemed to be pitched at younger audiences in panto fashion, the sequence still featured some fairly graphic descriptions of torture and methods of execution, and a skit mocking an audience member for having small genitals in the context of cutting them up into slices. I have no idea who the target demographic for this attraction is, but it was a shame to see so many people working really hard (the actors were very committed to their roles) for something so misguided.

The man next to me summed it up as we left- in response to the exit statement "The Dungeon will get you next time!" he commented " Like anyone would pay to do this more than once!"

Immediately after this we went into Hex, which was well presented and very clever, despite being an older ride. The contrast between this and the newer Dungeon was dramatic. It is a shame that the new attraction that requires an additional fee is such a waste of time”

...I don’t think they liked it!

I second this. Spot on. :)

I was talking to one of the members of staff in the park, and they are pretty sure it will be charged this year, then reworked to be included next year. They were speaking really confidently, so take it as you will.

I suppose cutting down the 'actors' to three or four, plus someone on entrance could make it viable...

And, yes, why does every dungeon have a section that requires a gentleman to be accused of being lacking in the trouser department???

I was talking to one of the members of staff in the park, and they are pretty sure it will be charged this year, then reworked to be included next year. They were speaking really confidently, so take it as you will.

I suppose cutting down the 'actors' to three or four, plus someone on entrance could make it viable...

And, yes, why does every dungeon have a section that requires a gentleman to be accused of being lacking in the trouser department???

Seems a bit early to have made a decision for next year let alone filtered down to the average staff member on Towers Street.

Seems a bit early to have made a decision for next year let alone filtered down to the average staff member on Towers Street.

I agree... just reporting back. But it does make sense.

Reactions: pj