2019: The Alton Towers Dungeon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GaryH, 28th Jun 2018.

1. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

When do we expect the Dungeon to quietly disappear?

skyscraper likes this.
  2. skyscraper

skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Over this coming closed season I'd hope. :p

MaxPower likes this.
  3. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    At the end of this/next season I'd assume. I'd like to hope 2022 might see a new dark ride take that space to support TWODW. I know it's gonna have a dark ride already but this would be on a much bigger scale.
    The reality however, is that when the Dungeon does closed, it will probably be sat SBNO for far too long.

jon81uk, Tom and skyscraper like this.
  4. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

It will be interesting to see how it’s gone during Covid, as groups are limited to about 12 people and I imagine most groups are much smaller. Especially when queues are long in the park I’m not sure that many will want to lose 45 mins of their day for the dungeons when they might not do all rides.

skyscraper likes this.
  5. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Hmm perhaps it will be closed after all? Although even Towers social media team don’t seem particularly sure.

Does the budget for running the Dungeons come from midway? Perhaps they wouldn’t stump up the extra cash to run the Dungeons on the previously planned closed dates.

Matt N and skyscraper like this.
  6. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    The "I think" is worrying, surely either the customer service team should know or at least be able to quickly contact someone who knows.

7. rob666

rob666 TowersStreet Member

Not if the decision hasn't been made yet!

pj and skyscraper like this.
  8. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

This is the same Alton Towers social team who weren't able to tell me if their hotel would be open the following month a year or two ago.

skyscraper likes this.
  9. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

I would imagine it would just come from Towers budgets.

I’ve had a quick look and you can now book all of Sept, however current it’s closed every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday for the first two weeks in October.

skyscraper and AT86 like this.
  10. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

That's an awful response from Towers, it's their job to find out the answer before responding, not reply with 'i don't know'. It's like when I went to Splash Landings Reception last week to ask if Flambos was opening the following night and he said he didn't know...well find out then!

skyscraper likes this.
  11. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

I don't think the two situations are comparable really.

Social media is just that it is a platform to be social on, they should be able to answer queries but I wouldn't expect them to always have all the answers.

But the front desk of a hotel should 1000% know every single thing that is happening inside their hotel. I've been frustrated with a similar situation at ATH where we asked the front desk what time the bar shut and they said it is open late until all guests go to bed, then it closed at 11pm while people were still waiting to be served.

skyscraper likes this.
  12. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

I think they are, their job is to answer peoples questions, therefore they should find out the answer and respond. Not reply straight away with a 'not sure'. The guest wasn't sure, that's why they messaged them in the first place. But yes I agree, a hotel reception should know even more than the media team.

jon81uk and skyscraper like this.
  13. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    I finally made my first visit to the Alton Towers Dungeon yesterday.

As someone who has already experienced five Dungeons (London old, London new, Warwick, Blackpool Tower and Edinburgh), I was fully expecting the same type of experience (albeit shorter than all but Warwick). Indeed, it effectively was.

The Judge is a cut down version of what you might see in other Dungeons, but was perfectly fun. The Black River, although totally disjointed and lacking any sort of real narrative, was a basic dark ride with some nice theming sprinkled here and there (Charlie was hardly a good dark ride), the Torturer is totally standard in every way, as is the Doctor and also the Publican. The Haunting of Molly Leigh at the end is much like Witches of Warwick - and is probably the highlight: quite frightening.

The Dungeon was better than I expected from a theming point of view (I had very low expectations) and is a perfectly enjoyable experience.

BUT...

Irrespective of this, it's a total wasted opportunity for that building and that ride system. Given what is already out there at other Dungeons, the Alton Towers effort largely lacks creativity because everything pretty much replicas others and generally is a weaker version. There is no old building or stairs to navigate here... just black walls inside a large show building. I would much rather see a family dark ride in this building rather than a shoehorned Dungeon.

To think this was the building of Around the World in Eighty Days and Toyland Tours, it's amazing how it has ended up with the dour Charlie and now the most basic Dungeon attraction in the world (citation needed).

I hope the future of this site is brighter - because the Alton Towers Dungeon really doesn't feel at home inside it, even if there's not really anything wrong with it.

Last edited: 4th Oct 2020
    jon81uk, djtruefitt, Andrew and 10 others like this.