• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

How is horrible histories dark? Yes it goes on about blood and pooh but it's all done with a humorous take. I think the cars could all be done so they look vintage? And the history parts don't have to be the dark parts. Towers may even push the boat out and have an puppet rat!

Horrible Histories does sound like a great idea to be fair. Aimed at the right age group and its not dark in the same way that Dark Forest, Forbidden Valley etc are.

Maybe a revisit of Towers own Merrie England concept art could be utilised for the area style, would fit nicely in Cuckoo Land:
me2.jpg

me1.jpg

Photos from https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/the-drawing-board/merrie-england/

Horrible histories would be great but I still think they will go for Lego. They can make it different enough to what is at Legoland to make it worthwhile to visit both.

They have the world's most successful toy brand at their disposal. Be incredibly daft not to use it.

Horrible histories would be great but I still think they will go for Lego. They can make it different enough to what is at Legoland to make it worthwhile to visit both.

They have the world's most successful toy brand at their disposal. Be incredibly daft not to use it.
If they use Lego I just think it would be a bit of a cop out. The "cheapest" and easiest way to re theme with very little thought (in comparison to a full on re theme). I'm sure it would be good but Towers deserves better.

If they use Lego I just think it would be a bit of a cop out. The "cheapest" and easiest way to re theme with very little thought (in comparison to a full on re theme). I'm sure it would be good but Towers deserves better.
Whilst HH is a great idea, Lego probably has 10 X more pulling power for kids and even adults.

It would be nice to see a unique HH theme but all things considered Lego would make a lot more sense.

In reality we will probably get neither, and it will remain a ghost town hidden away from everything.

That whole area used to be buzzing with bright colours and music. One of my first visits was when the Nickelodeon fun house thing was there and whilst that didn't last very long - I remember it being very busy in that corner of the park with a good few attractions and shops open.

I would be very surprised if they go with a Lego theme, purely because they have two Discovery Centres about an hour from the park. They would be at risk of cannibalising attendance at these midways.

Horrible Histories could be a good idea, they already have a relationship with this IP via the shows at Warwick Castle (which are pretty good). Personally it would be a bit ‘dreary’ for me to see another brown/beige colour palate when it comes to the theme, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world and would tie in with the Dungeons thematically if they plan to keep them.

I would be very surprised if they go with a Lego theme, purely because they have two Discovery Centres about an hour from the park. They would be at risk of cannibalising attendance at these midways.

Horrible Histories could be a good idea, they already have a relationship with this IP via the shows at Warwick Castle (which are pretty good). Personally it would be a bit ‘dreary’ for me to see another brown/beige colour palate when it comes to the theme, but it wouldn’t be the end of the world and would tie in with the Dungeons thematically if they plan to keep them.
On the other hand, they could see it as a cross promotional opportunity with Birmingham and Manchester being only an hour or so from Towers.

Our new Lego overlords will want to promote the brand as much as possible.

Plus there are no proper rides at LDC, so they're very different experiences.

On the other hand, they could see it as a cross promotional opportunity with Birmingham and Manchester being only an hour or so from Towers.

Our new Lego overlords will want to promote the brand as much as possible.

Plus there are no proper rides at LDC, so they're very different experiences.

LDC in Manchester has a 4D cinema, mini driving school and laser shooting ride. Birmingham has a 4D cinema, laser ride and another small peddle ride type thing.

If you take CCL, reopen the 4D cinema, retheme driving school, add a Lego mini-land in the old Nick building and some Lego build/play area in Wobble World you have basically recreated a Discovery Centre and included it the price of theme park admission. Whereas in Brum and Manchester they are charging people £20 for a two hour visit to pretty much the same experience.

I would think from Legos point of view that would do damage to the ‘proposition’ of an LDC in the long term, because why would you pay £20 for two hours instead of paying £28 for a whole day out at Alton Towers and get way more for your money.

Of course if you asked me this time last year what the chances were of an up charge Dungeons being shoe horned into Charlie I would have said it was a load of rubbish, so I wouldn’t say it’s never going to happen! Just that I would be surprised as I don’t think it stacks up commercially.

My only worry with vintage/retro is that it may not appeal to children, another suggestion given that sort of ride line-up might be a skatepark/hip-hop theme. You could have the same classic fairground rides but spray them with fake graffiti (look at the Splatoon games to see what sort of theming I am thinking about) and play the latest hits and that could be advertised to children more easily.

I'd love to see a steampunk area at Towers, and CCL seems like the perfect place for one. They could theme it to Sir Algenon and link it to the hotel which I think would suit the park really well.
What new rides would you suggest for a steampunk area?
Edit: having a think about it myself, I think a Zamperla Magic Bikes or Kite Flyer might work.

What new rides would you suggest for a steampunk area?
Edit: having a think about it myself, I think a Zamperla Magic Bikes or Kite Flyer might work.

My pipe dream for CCL is an indoor Mack inverted powered coaster like Arthur on the old Coaster Corner site, or a large scale dark ride like Spiderman at IOA. Neither will happen under Merlin though sadly!

I would have gone for a water coaster given that there aren't any in the UK (correct me if I'm wrong) and Alton Towers has been severely lacking in the water rides area since the Flume was removed.

My pipe dream for CCL is an indoor Mack inverted powered coaster like Arthur on the old Coaster Corner site, or a large scale dark ride like Spiderman at IOA. Neither will happen under Merlin though sadly!
Arthur really is an incredible family coaster, I'd love to see something similar at Alton Towers.

It's well out of their league though, they wouldn't have the budget to get it right. Surprised Disney or Universal haven't gone for one yet.

I am surprised that only two parks have a Mack Inverted Powered Coaster (Europa and Motiongate). Wikipedia claims that Arthur cost €25 million which is more than Alton Towers paid for the Smiler, this might explain why this type of ride hasn't popped up everywhere. Therefore I don't expect to see one at Alton Towers any time soon.

Ideally what I'd like to see is a high quality family ride that has a height restriction under 1.2m, as that's what the park really lacks at the moment.