• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

The main problem with CBBC is that you're targeting a very specific demographic, and end up with another area that's 'children only'. CBeebies Land already suits this purpose and works because it's in its own contained area.

Cloud Cuckoo Land is a smaller area that forms a larger section of the theme park. Dreamworks makes more sense because it has wider appeal, a child will enjoy a Dreamworks IP as much as an adult would, and it suits the entire family, Shrek being the prime example here.

Due to Fountain Square and Dark Forest being in close proximity, Cloud Cuckoo Land needs to become an area that appeals to people of all ages whilst still fulfilling the gap we currently have between kids rides and thrill rides. Hopefully in 2019 they can finally have an area that once again is 'for the whole family'.

Totally agree, Cbeebies land in some respect has been sold to the general public as a theme park/land within a theme park as i have seen members of general public asking questions over on twitter such as; do I have to buy a days admission to alton towers to get into cbeebies land and can i buy a cbeebies land only ticket. Another land like that would take the size of alton towers away slightly as it would be seen as another secluded area. Agree that an area for all the family is needed with a range of rides aimed at a range of age groups. One problem I have encountered when visiting with the family is some members get 'bored' whilst waiting for others to ride and vice versa as everything is wide spread across a lot of land and once you get to an area there isn't something for everyone which I know isn't realistic for every area but at least one would be good.

I just wondered if Merlin would have to pay to use a LEGO IP to create Lego Towers or Lego Village? Why not use something they know which works? Anyone up north doesn't want to drive 4 hours to head to Windsor, so why not have an area at AT devoted to a lego theme (better than LEGOLAND discovery at Mancheste!!!r). So my vision.......

Charlie turned into a Lego themed water ride (maybe pirates or something), Nock down burger kitchen and create family flume ride, Lego movie 3D experience, Lego city driving school, indoor lego playarea, a medium family coaster behind toadstool, retheme the toadstool and froghopper. Kids especially boys would LOVE it!! 6 to 12 yea rolds sorted and nagging mum and dad to visit!!

What you all think??

I just wondered if Merlin would have to pay to use a LEGO IP to create Lego Towers or Lego Village? Why not use something they know which works? Anyone up north doesn't want to drive 4 hours to head to Windsor, so why not have an area at AT devoted to a lego theme (better than LEGOLAND discovery at Mancheste!!!r). So my vision.......

Charlie turned into a Lego themed water ride (maybe pirates or something), Nock down burger kitchen and create family flume ride, Lego movie 3D experience, Lego city driving school, indoor lego playarea, a medium family coaster behind toadstool, retheme the toadstool and froghopper. Kids especially boys would LOVE it!! 6 to 12 yea rolds sorted and nagging mum and dad to visit!!

What you all think??
and they could have the rides themed to the different Lego themes (like City and Friends, for example).

Last edited:
I would love to see some sort of link up with Madame Tussards to create a really cool dark ride in the space where CATCF used to be. Animatronic models and special effects could be used with the theme based around key periods in English history. And then the rest of the area could be themed on Victorian England which would also be a good backdrop to Scarefest at the end of the season. Surely Merlin by now are experts in creating effective Victorian dungeon style theming following their successful dungeon experiences. All highly unlikely but you can only dream!

2017 AT manifesto.
We will make Alton Towers strong again. We will make Alton Towers proud again. We will make Alton Towers safe again. And we will make Alton Towers great again.
We will build a great, great land on our southern border, and I will make Blackpool pay for that wall.
It's gonna be great.

Yep they won't add a Lego area as it would stop people wanting to go to the Discovery Centre in the Trafford Centre or down to Legoland.
Can I make two points to that quote;

1) LEGOLAND discovery centre is rubbish. Its just a glorified lego playarea with a laser ride that never works, a few model areas and a 4D cinema. Its always jam packed full too!

2) Not a lot of people in Scotland, Preston, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Chester, Stoke or even Birmingham want to drive for 3 to 4 hours to go to Windsor. So a Lego themed area I feel would work and attract NEW customers (and lets face it AT needs these right now)

I would love to see some sort of link up with Madame Tussards to create a really cool dark ride in the space where CATCF used to be. Animatronic models and special effects could be used with the theme based around key periods in English history. And then the rest of the area could be themed on Victorian England which would also be a good backdrop to Scarefest at the end of the season. Surely Merlin by now are experts in creating effective Victorian dungeon style theming following their successful dungeon experiences. All highly unlikely but you can only dream!

Sad fact, but did you know that Alton Towers (the house) used to have a waxworks room during the early to mid 1800s? Apparently the waxworks weren't very good, but still ;)

2017 AT manifesto.
We will make Alton Towers strong again. We will make Alton Towers proud again. We will make Alton Towers safe again. And we will make Alton Towers great again.
We will build a great, great land on our southern border, and I will make Blackpool pay for that wall.
It's gonna be great.

If their experience in fencing is anything to go by the wall should be a beauty!

2017 AT manifesto.
It's gonna be great.
Alton J Towers propose, a ban on all non VIP parking and non fast track customers entering Towers until we can figure out what the hell is goin' on!

I like the idea of a Lego area, but I can already see Merlin going for this cheap fix:
  • Peugeot Driving school, swap ot the cars for Lego ones and a few giant figures on the road.
  • Wibble wobble land - lego building area, Lego City soft play frame
  • Ice Age - 3D cinema of Lego films
  • Carousel - move to CBeebies
  • Frog hopper - Ninjago Bounce
  • Toadstool - paint, stickers and seats that look like Lego
  • Charlie Choc - Lego Model City, Blackpool Tower, Stoke City stadium, Uttoxeter race course etc.
It would draw a crowd, but it would need to aim higher than that.

Last edited:
1) LEGOLAND discovery centre is rubbish. Its just a glorified lego playarea with a laser ride that never works, a few model areas and a 4D cinema. Its always jam packed full too!

Whilst I agree with you it's not that good. Saying it's always "Jam packed" kind of shows how popular it is with the general public though lol

I too wouldn't mind a Legoland section of Towers tbh. I know it's a bit lazy but I could see it working if done right and I must stress IF done right.

It's all down to opinion, but I'd hate a lego area. There is so much more potential, and even better IPs out there. It would just be lazy in my opinion, and would probably share the same generic themes as legoland.

And yes, you can argue that it would apear to guests in the north who won't travel to Windsor it's basically excluding all MAP holders - why go to the lego themed area at towers when you could do legoland itself.

but Legoland is in the south, and who wants to go there, plus it would be cheep as chips for Towers as Merlin already have use of everything Lego

I wouldn't expect the contract with Lego to be that generic, if they wanted to build something new outside of the Legoland park they may need permission from the Lego Group.