• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Looking through his site, I can see he's recently released a book called 'The Ice Monster', about a frozen woolly mammoth. Seems a likely replacement for the Ice Age themed theatre.

I think whatever the 'Headline Attraction' is, that it will turn out to be a themed walkthrough similar to 'Room on the Broom' at CWOA, possibly with different rooms for each of Walliams most popular books as opposed to being about a specific character/book.

Nothing to base this upon other than the fact that we haven't seen any planning applications, the space is quite small, and the budget is seemingly not massive.

I would hope that this area gets two or three smaller flat rides to pad out the offering if they are going to be finally removing Frog Hopper and the Carousel (and probably removing the Driving School). A new 3D film in the theatre would be a wise/cheap use of a totally wasted space as well.

I’m actually quite happy with this. It was obvious Merlin would go with an IP, and Walliams’ childrens books are very popular. It feels like the kind of tie-in Towers would’ve had back in the Tussauds era.

I think the Wobble World replacement will most likely be a Room on the Broom-style walkthrough. Merlin don’t really do dark rides, and I can’t think of anything else that could fit in there. I was under the impression that Walliams’ books were aimed at an older audience than the likes of Room on the Broom, so I’m not sure how well that’ll go down with da yoof.

I’m just glad they’re finally doing something with Cloud Cuckoo Land. Here’s hoping it’ll be good :)

Side note - does anybody seriously think they will 'scrap' Frog Hopper and Gallopers?

I genuinely think we're looking at the 2020/1 'new' attractions for Chessington and Thorpe.

I actually hope the carousel will remain at towers. It's a solid classic ride, which for many people is their first ride. I think every park that caters to families needs a carousel.

I do think we can probably expect a Walliams boat ride to replace the Dungeons, we'll just probably have to wait until 2021.

Driving School should remain, if possible.

I know not really of his books, but at least there's the potential for a theme for Driving School:

1b9acc09ee6d29b7a2e1f8f8104e174a.png

I heard an advert for his musical podcast on LBC this morning. Interestingly it used the incredulous word "fantabulous"

... More synergies than you can shake a stick at.

Driving School belongs in CBeeebies, as it has a 1.4m height restriction, so not available to kids over about 9 years old. If they are serious about making the area a land, it has to go from CCL.

I'd like to see it moved to the wasted space next to Spinball, as an extension to CBeebies.... but it would need retheming to an appropriate IP to fit in.

Driving School belongs in CBeeebies, as it has a 1.4m height restriction, so not available to kids over about 9 years old. If they are serious about making the area a land, it has to go from CCL.

I'd like to see it moved to the wasted space next to Spinball, as an extension to CBeebies.... but it would need retheming to an appropriate IP to fit in.
Cbeebies is aimed at a pre-school age group so upto about 5 years old. Driving school is ages 4+ 1.0m so the overlap is actually surprisingly small. For example my daughter loves mine train and rapids and is growing out of alot of Cbeebies rides but is too short and young for driving school.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

And I thought everyone was kidding about David walliams world :confused::confused:

Not familiar with his books so only have the little Britain etc to focus on. The mental images are horrific :(

That books have absolutely nothing to do with Little Britain!
It's a little like Roald Dahl - he wrote some very strange and adult stories for Tales of the Unexpected (and other adult books I think) yet wrote some of the most famous and much-loved children's books of all time. And he is generally remembered for the children's books.

It's a little like Roald Dahl - he wrote some very strange and adult stories for Tales of the Unexpected (and other adult books I think) yet wrote some of the most famous and much-loved children's books of all time. And he is generally remembered for the children's books.
Very good point.

Personally, I loved Enid Blyton when I was a kid, but according to revisionist history she was a racist, sexist, homophobic bigot. I don't see it myself.

The more I separate Walliams books from his past work, the more suitable it looks.

Even Einstein was wrong occasionally.

*SHOCK* I actually approve of this IP. He is bang on the target market that Alton are currently snubbing.

BUT

This could go two ways. It could be amazingly done with lots of money and great theming and ride systems or it could be half arsed Charlie style with just cardboard cutout style theming of illustrations and crappy off the shelf ride re-themes. We'll wait and see.

At least it IS a better childrens IP than CBeebies Land. But what ever happened to building the park's own brand instead of Merlin parks heading ever more towards just a strange amalgamation of other brands?