• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

I seriously doubt David Walliams will have agreed to having his IP used unless there was substantial investment put into it. There will be much more to come we don't know yet. Maybe it will be done over 2020 and phase 2 in 2021.

I seriously doubt David Walliams will have agreed to having his IP used unless there was substantial payments coming out of it.

A shop, 4D cinema, the new ride, painting up stuff ... maybe even a cafe, well themed arcade machines, hook a WWoDW plush sideshows, meet and greets etc. and you have a full land full set of improvements, and this is a great move... even if half the contents are a bit "meh".
That would probably be more successful (although much less interesting) than Tornado Springs, because of the profile of AT.

I seriously doubt David Walliams will have agreed to having his IP used unless there was substantial payments coming out of it.

A shop, 4D cinema, the new ride, painting up stuff ... maybe even a cafe, well themed arcade machines, hook a WWoDW plush sideshows, meet and greets etc. and you have a full land full set of improvements, and this is a great move... even if half the contents are a bit "meh".
That would probably be more successful (although much less interesting) than Tornado Springs, because of the profile of AT.
There's been no mention of using the 4D cinema and the shop is replacing the café.

As for Alton Towers having a profile, I don't think it has so much any more. In the last few years I think people's opinion on the Resort has decreased rapidly. People have started to click on that it's not like it used to be and they've got a reduced ride offering. I can see Tornado Springs over doing this by a long shot.

I *definitely* would agree that Alton Towers' reputation is a little diminished. I think it is still higher than most theme parks in the UK but in an increasingly global society, the park has gone from being a pacemaker in the 1990s to somewhat of a backseat player today.

I think, ultimately, it's the scratching around for second hand rides and complete lack of diversity that the park offers anymore that have caused it.

No serious theme park should be looking down the back of the couch for money to replace a few effects in a haunted house, for example.

Oh well. This is Merlin. They own it. And can do what the hell they want, sadly.

Looking at Alton Towers' website, it would seem that TWODW may only be a partial retheme of CCL, as CCL is still listed as a park section that only contains Cuckoo Cars Driving School. Gangsta Granny, Raj's Bouncy Bottom Burp and Royal Carousel are listed separately under "New for 2020" in terms of park section (I assume this will be updated to The World of David Walliams closer to the time). So it would seem that CCL as a theme is not quite done yet... I guess this also pretty much confirms that Driving School is not getting rethemed. I do think that this is somewhat of a missed opportunity to integrate Driving School into the new theme (maybe something like Bad Dad would have been a good Walliams theme to give it?), but I suppose it was only revamped a couple of years ago, and I would happily sacrifice a Driving School retheme if it means that more of the budget can be directed towards the bits of the area that are being redone. I suppose there's also a chance that the park could still be withholding information about a Driving School retheme, as they said that there are more surprises to come, but the fact that no obvious construction work was taking place on it in the photos taken on New Year's Eve (while other parts of the area were being quite obviously redone) does make that chance become more remote by the day.

Interestingly, the park also now lists Spinball Whizzer as part of The Towers, even though I'd argue that Adventure Land is perhaps equal to if not more significant as a park section than what Cloud Cuckoo Land will be in 2020...

If you're wondering what I mean, take a look at the rides list on Alton Towers' website: https://www.altontowers.com/explore/theme-park/rides-attractions/

Looking at Alton Towers' website, it would seem that TWODW may only be a partial retheme of CCL, as CCL is still listed as a park section that only contains Cuckoo Cars Driving School. Gangsta Granny, Raj's Bouncy Bottom Burp and Royal Carousel are listed separately under "New for 2020" in terms of park section (I assume this will be updated to The World of David Walliams closer to the time). So it would seem that CCL as a theme is not quite done yet... I guess this also pretty much confirms that Driving School is not getting rethemed. I do think that this is somewhat of a missed opportunity to integrate Driving School into the new theme (maybe something like Bad Dad would have been a good Walliams theme to give it?), but I suppose it was only revamped a couple of years ago, and I would happily sacrifice a Driving School retheme if it means that more of the budget can be directed towards the bits of the area that are being redone. I suppose there's also a chance that the park could still be withholding information about a Driving School retheme, as they said that there are more surprises to come, but the fact that no obvious construction work was taking place on it in the photos taken on New Year's Eve (while other parts of the area were being quite obviously redone) does make that chance become more remote by the day.

The budget simply isn't large enough to complete it all in one go. From the marketing team's perspective however this will be an easy win, as it means they can market the Driving School as 'new' once completed.

Interestingly, the park also now lists Spinball Whizzer as part of The Towers, even though I'd argue that Adventure Land is perhaps equal to if not more significant as a park section than what Cloud Cuckoo Land will be in 2020...

If you're wondering what I mean, take a look at the rides list on Alton Towers' website:
https://www.altontowers.com/explore/theme-park/rides-attractions/

Adventure Land was scrapped for 2017 and Spinball has been listed as part of the Towers ever since. There was nothing significant about it given there is no theming other than in the ride area itself.

To be fair, it wouldn't surprise me if The World of David Walliams ends up being a multi-year project. If they do retheme the remaining part of CCL in 2021 along with reopening the 4D Cinema (although I still think that there's a significant chance of this reopening in 2020) and potentially adding one or two new attractions based on different Walliams books and market it as a "phase 2" of sorts, then I personally think that that would be a worthy compromise, and it would certainly be something I could see Towers doing. In a way, they almost handled CBeebies Land as a bit of a multi-phase project, as they mostly rethemed the area in 2014 and then began adding new hardware from 2015 onwards.

As The World of David Walliams is an IP area, I'd assume that Alton Towers probably signed a contract that forces them to maintain the area and keep it up to date as well as adding new attractions periodically. As such, I have real faith that Merlin will keep the area updated and in great condition; CBeebies Land is a high quality area that seems to be kept updated and in pretty good condition on the whole, so I'd expect TWODW to be kept to a similar standard.

CBeebies land maintain you got to be kidding me. For a area that is 6 years old it’s not looking in a good shape In many areas. I went with my daughter last June and in the night garden many things were not working or needed painting and a clean. Justin’s house has lots of wear on the props and needs repainting. Go Jetters the DJ unicorn doesn’t move any more and the lights were off and his deck needs repainting, Even the props in the queue line need some TLC. Octonauts coaster needs a good repaint and a good clean. We didn’t go on anything else so not sure about the other rides in the area so looking after areas and rides has been poor. Even the Charlie building was never painted after it opened in 2006 so I doubt they will do the same with this new area. David Williams will only care about the fee Merlin paid him for the rights.

It's in pathetic shape, family member showed me his photos with his kids a couple of years back of them going around on the boat ride, and the lots of the props and figures had mud all over them, and just looked crap in general. Who knows, maybe the kids first memories will be about that 'naff boat ride where everything was broken and we got so bored we started crying' ...

I'm still staying true to what I've said all along that I will never set foot in the 'Alton Towers Dungeon'. With the overall CAPEX cycle its hard to guess what money will end up where for the Walliams World, but if there isn't a decent budget or it looks cheap I will not step anywhere near this new area either. If everyone else could do the same that would be great

It's in pathetic shape, family member showed me his photos with his kids a couple of years back of them going around on the boat ride, and the lots of the props and figures had mud all over them, and just looked crap in general. Who knows, maybe the kids first memories will be about that 'naff boat ride where everything was broken and we got so bored we started crying' ...

I'm still staying true to what I've said all along that I will never set foot in the 'Alton Towers Dungeon'. With the overall CAPEX cycle its hard to guess what money will end up where for the Walliams World, but if there isn't a decent budget or it looks cheap I will not step anywhere near this new area either. If everyone else could do the same that would be great

Unlike the Dungeons with its separate admission fee, Merlin won’t giving a flying hoot if some forum people don’t go near walliams world. There is no income stream coming from the area other than guest attendance to Alton Towers. Unless you are planning on boycotting the whole park, avoiding this area will do begger all.

@Dave I agree, moaning on a forum is pretty futile at the end of the day, and rarely affects their business decisions, especially when we’re not the target market. But its just for the sake of principle. I said last year that I wouldn’t go in to the dungeon ever when I first saw the dungeon facade and I’m just keeping to my word. The revenue point is unimportant really as we are too small a community anyway. Will do the same with Walliams world if it is bad. Maybe not visiting the park is an option I would take too. I hope everyone else does the same, all we can do is be principled about how we feel about the place. Up to you though

Even if all the online enthusiast communities teamed up and boycotted the park, they would still generate enough money not to care

I've actually dug out my username and reset my password to post this. 2020 will be the first time in 20 years I will not be visiting Alton Towers. I've been in and out of love with the park over the past two decades (mostly in, to be honest), but a trip during Scarefest last year just rammed it home just how little they care about me as a customer. And if they don't care, then I shouldn't go. So I won't - I'll funnel my cash into going to Flamingoland, Drayton (before they go bust!) and take my 6 year old to Plopsaland to show her how it's done. I was watching my fellow Bootcamper Mr Burton in the video with Walliams and I paused it to look at the plans for the Gangsta Granny ride - dear god almighty that looks short! And I'd love somebody in Merlin to explain to me the logic behind turning Charlie into Upcharge - The Abomination a year before a much more suitable IP for that fantastic ride system came along. Who is in charge of strategy for the group these days? Is it simply a case of throwing things at the wall to see what sticks?

Maybe they are not investing much into David Walliams land because they are unsure just how successful / unsuccessful it will be. I'm not sure myself it will be a big hit, especially long term... unlike if they had done a Lego themed area where we would know immediately this would be a massive hit for this year and probably the next decade.

Maybe they are not investing much into David Walliams land because they are unsure just how successful / unsuccessful it will be. I'm not sure myself it will be a big hit, especially long term... unlike if they had done a Lego themed area where we would know immediately this would be a massive hit for this year and probably the next decade.

The Walliams books are hugely popular for the age range. There is no reason anyone would be worried about potential popularity, the issue is there is no budget.

I fear the opposite is the case. David Walliams has sold over £100 million of books (as of November) and he currently has three books in the Children's top 20 alone. Such a small initial lineup for this "land" against such a huge IP may do more harm than good.

They really needed to go big and really make a statement with World of David Walliams, and its a shame they're not doing so. It's especially concerning when the likes of Cuckoo Cars are going to be outside of the age range when the age group for Gangsta Granny is typically 8+.

Flamingoland and Drayton over Alton.

Dear god you must be hacked off.

:p

Hacked off is where I was during the Great SBNO Phase (post accident). I've reached a stage of dull resignation now where I'm sick of paying to go and just generally feeling terrible afterwards. It doesn't help that I went out to Florida in August last year either. I'm going to give myself this year off and hopefully try and rekindle some of my love for the place with a bit of distance.