2020: General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Danny, 20th Nov 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

As far as I am aware there is no government guidance on that sort of thing and it is up to businesses to write their own risk assessments. I think AT are currently going over and above what is probably needed.

For example TfL are only cleaning/disinfecting tube trains once a day.

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

I expected maybe upto hour queues due to cleaning and empty seats but due to the low capacity I don't think anyone expected the queues to be as long as they are

3. LordOfDarkness

LordOfDarkness TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Personally think they're spot on by cleaning every 30 mins. If it means a little longer to wait then so be it!

Skyscraper likes this.
  4. Mr Pearse

Mr Pearse TowersStreet Member

I was expecting them to be longer to be fair. You can limit all you want but if half the people on the park want to ride one ride then that’s what happens.

Ethan and Skyscraper like this.
  5. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

To be fair if coronavirus wasn’t a thing and you visited Alton Towers at this time of year you would probably be waiting well over an hour for every coaster as the place would be overrun with school trips until mid July.

So the queues at the moment aren’t really any different to any other year, it’s just different reasons as to why.

6. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

Hearing reports that Battle Galleons has opened today , which puts paid to the idea that Duel is closed because the guns are a high contact area . I expect we’re just waiting on staff being brought off furlough for the rest of the closed attractions (bar Th13teen)

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. RicketyCricket

RicketyCricket TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    How long does the cleaning take? Surely no longer than 5 minutes? Can't see that affecting the queue times too much.

Skyscraper likes this.
  8. Ethan

I hope Rita is open as my family enjoy it and it'd be a shame for them. Well it's a lose lose situation as if it's closed my family will moan and it will put them in a bad mood, and if it's open then they'll force me to go on it

9. jon81uk

Once they have cleaned they then send the empty train out to dry it before guests board, so I expect it will be just over five minutes to do the whole process on all trains.

RicketyCricket likes this.
  10. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

A cut in VAT from 20% to 5% for hospitality has been announced just now. This includes food, accommodation and attractions.

That would mean the current online adult ticket price of £34 would become £29.75 and the gate price would go from £58 to £50.75.

Let’s see if Merlin pass this reduction on to customers....

Last edited: 8th Jul 2020
    Ethan, RicketyCricket, Alsty and 2 others like this.
  11. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

We can expect to see an update to accesso passport.
    To move costs onto package not vat.

12. Ethan

I imagine it'll just stay the same so towers get more money

13. jon81uk

and hopefully that means they can employ the regular number of staff despite the number of guests being capped a bit lower and other higher operational costs.

14. VerticalLoop123

VerticalLoop123 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    On park today and yes queues are taking longer but obviously towers staff trying to keep to new procedures, for example on nemesis one row is allowed to drop off bags and get on at a time then the same process when exiting.
    People seem to be adhering to social distancing in queue and staff are fab with new procedures. Only issue I’m seeing is that on the main paths instead of sticking to the left, like the signs tell you, many are spreading themselves out across paths making it hard to social distance and hard to get past if you’re going the other way!
    Also chevrons in queues are starting to rub off, especially in extended queue lines. Hoping someone gets the old paint out and gives them a touch up!

Ethan and Skyscraper like this.
  15. jon81uk

In supermarket the other day where a family had taken up the whole of an area that should have been two way I just stood still until they realised they can't walk through me. People need to realise in general that even without filling the entire width of a path is not polite.

Rojo, rob666 and Ethan like this.
  16. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

Me too.

But let’s not forget Mr Varney has been pushing for a reduction in VAT for a long time, articles online as far back as 2014 cite him as wanting lower VAT so they could have lower ticket prices etc.

Ethan, jon81uk and imanautie like this.
  17. jmc

jmc TowersStreet Member

Yes, there was a time when they were clearly being very passive aggressive and all the prices were being blatantly advertised with and without VAT on park.

Given their history on the matter I hope they will pass this reduction on to customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThisGuy and imanautie like this.
  18. Ethan

Some staff messing around on the app, apparently galactica is now air again!

imanautie likes this.
  19. Kingslayer

Kingslayer TowersStreet Member

I don’t know how to add a pic, perhaps someone more savvy than me can...

the queue app currently shows a 30min wait for....... AIR!!!!!

imanautie likes this.
  20. imanautie

imanautie TowersStreet Member

Erm what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.