• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

TBC: SW9 Speculation

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I'll echo what others have said, a water coaster wouldn't be a good fit at Towers IMO, and definitely not as a secret weapon.

Ideally I'd like to see a new launch coaster to replace Rita as it is pretty dated these days, it's been bettered in pretty much every way by other launch coasters. Also it would be easy to remove as it isn't really landscaped at all.

A water coaster would certainly not be my first choice for SW9, but I'm sure that it would fit nicely if one were to be built! It would certainly give the park a substantial water ride, and a new ride for the family audience to enjoy! My only question is; where on earth would they put it?

Out of interest, does anyone know when SW9 is currently due for? I would presume 2022 due to Merlin's 4 year investment cycle, but I did hear that SW9 was always intended to be 3 years after SW8, with Merlin first saying 2016 for SW8 and 2019 for SW9 and then 2017 for SW8 and 2020 for SW9 after the company reverted to a 4 year investment cycle. Haven't heard anything since Wicker Man was delayed to 2018, but I could potentially see Merlin giving us SW9 1 year early to make up for Wicker Man being 1 year later than planned.

I would prefer the next SW to be a new launch coaster to replace Rita, as its clear it's coming to the end of its lifespan.

Really? Rita easily has decades of lifespan left in it. They may choose to remove it, and as it is a practically flat generic type it could be sold on quite easily, but as a bit of hardwear it is fine.

The point of Rita is the launch, the rest of it being pretty dull, so another coaster which screams look at my launch and not a lot else would be pointless. But a launch is just a means of propolsion, and one with huge advantages for towers with it's height planning restrictions limiting some lifthill options. There's nothing wrong with having a second launched coaster at the park, as long as it is unique/enjoyable/marketable for other things primarily.

Out of interest, does anyone know when SW9 is currently due for? I would presume 2022 due to Merlin's 4 year investment cycle, but I did hear that SW9 was always intended to be 3 years after SW8, with Merlin first saying 2016 for SW8 and 2019 for SW9 and then 2017 for SW8 and 2020 for SW9 after the company reverted to a 4 year investment cycle. Haven't heard anything since Wicker Man was delayed to 2018, but I could potentially see Merlin giving us SW9 1 year early to make up for Wicker Man being 1 year later than planned.

It all depends if the next high CAPEX investment is going to be a coaster or not. If it is not a coaster then we might end up waiting until 2026 for SW9!

I would love to see a top class dark ride as the next major investment. Having said that it would probably have to be an IP to generate enough hype and interest.

:)

It all depends if the next high CAPEX investment is going to be a coaster or not. If it is not a coaster then we might end up waiting until 2026 for SW9!

I would love to see a top class dark ride as the next major investment. Having said that it would probably have to be an IP to generate enough hype and interest.

:)
Ah right. Thanks @Rob! A dark ride would be nice, but I'm not sure if Merlin would want to build one after DBGT.

I'm very intrigued to find out what Thorpe has in store for 2020. If they go for a B&M hyper or Dive machine then I'll start to think that Towers may get the UK's first RMC. Only it would have to be a launched one and a bit different than ones we are used to seeing.

I'm very intrigued to find out what Thorpe has in store for 2020. If they go for a B&M hyper or Dive machine then I'll start to think that Towers may get the UK's first RMC. Only it would have to be a launched one and a bit different than ones we are used to seeing.

Probably nothing now considering "Brexit" and their poor performance this year, or Strictly: The Experience as @Error says.

I'd love an upgraded Rita type of launch coaster. Don't get me wrong going agains the grain but Rita i enjoyable and I like it, I just feel there is a lot more than could be done from a launch coaster. Dig down, use the landscape and build a fantastic launch coaster and Alton will be onto a winner.

A water coaster does nothing for me. An indoor type of water ride like Valhalla at Blackpool is fantastic but not realistic for a park like Alton.

A B&M wings coaster mentioned previously is IMO completely ruled out. Them things need so much room and height that I cannot see them being conceived for Towers.

Would an upgraded/uprated type of of Rita launched coaster appease people? I think if it went for faster/longer/more intense it would certainly have that pull within the industry.

^ Completely agree.

Rita is a wasted opportunity, it's just pointless. The launch is very good but that's it.

But from a commercial perspective there's no way M£rlin would remove Rita and put in another launch coaster. It's become very rattly over the years but it's still a fairly reliable and popular ride.

^ Completely agree.

Rita is a wasted opportunity, it's just pointless. The launch is very good but that's it.

But from a commercial perspective there's no way M£rlin would remove Rita and put in another launch coaster. It's become very rattly over the years but it's still a fairly reliable and popular ride.

Is it popular or does it give the illusion of popularity due to piss poor operations? In the way that waiters take forever to give you the bill at times to make the restaurant look busy.

For most guests Rita is the only launch coaster they’ve been on, so naturally the USP of a launching roller coaster is popular with them.

The only reasons I see them removing Rita is if they need space for another major addition or it just becomes too expensive to maintain.

To be fair with summers getting warmer and longer a good water ride may just be the ticket now that towers only have the rapids and the pirates in mutany bay (which in my eyes isn't the best (altho rapids have set it's place in people hearts) I think it's about time a good water ride is built

So, what's the chance of anything coming to light this season about a possible new ride to be in place in 2/3 years time? Balloons going up in the air checking for height? Paint marks on certain trees? Planning applications being submitted? They usually plan these things years ahead so I'm guessing that the creative lead has it all sorted now, huh?!

Have they even replaced the creative lead position given Bradley scuppered off to play in Escape Rooms?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.