• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Absolutely. However they do bring in the crowds and offer great merch opportunites to offset it.

I'd prefer an original area anyway but I think they may go down the IP route again as Cbeebies has been a huge hit.

I totally agree with the original thing. Those days are long gone though

I can't imagine what IP it could be though?

The whole Dream Works thing is already outdated. Even though DC and Marvel super heroes will always retain some sort of popularity and are semi-timeless, those franchises have had their dark ages in the past and the movies appear to be running out of steam as a 13 year super hero renaissance seems to be coming to an end (that began with Batman Begins in 2005).

Thinking if the things my own kids have been in to, they change quite regularly. Suddenly the whole school appear to be wearing different back packs and in to different things on their tablets. We've had DC, Marvel, Angry Birds, Minecraft, Five Nights at Freddies all come and gone.

I totally agree with the original thing. Those days are long gone though

Perhaps although they have just brought us Wickerman tbf. That's an incredible experience.

I actually don't think another IP would be the end of the world as we still have enough originality in the park as it is.

CCL and Sub Terra must be high up now on the next biggish projects.

Perhaps although they have just brought us Wickerman tbf. That's an incredible experience.

I actually don't think another IP would be the end of the world as we still have enough originality in the park as it is.

CCL and Sub Terra must be high up now on the next biggish projects.

I don’t see why they can’t just reopen subterra. Fix the issue and away you go

I always get this feeling of so close yet so far with AT

I am unsure where things would stand now with Dreamworks, now It’s owned by same parent company as Universal. They have said that part of reason they purchased Dreamworks was to intergrate the properties into their own Universal parks, so they might put a stop to any further non Universal Parks opening Dreamworks areas, unless agreements already signed before the purchase.

It’s rumoured that the expected 3rd Universal Orlando theme park will feature a large Dreamworks area.

A year or so back Nick Varney said in a trading update that further DreamWorks plans for Merlin were on hold due to the takeover. It’s all gone quiet since then.

An original area would be fine with me anyway. I'd prefer it tbh.

It's an absolute shambles the way it is now though but I suspect we won't see it changing until at least 2020.

Who was the guy on LinkedIn that posted a on his profile of a 2019 change?
Bradley Wynne; the MMM creative in charge of Alton Towers and Heide Park. He has recently done projects like Wicker Man and Galactica.

Personally, I would prefer an original themed area, but I wouldn't mind an IP if one came along, especially if the area was good quality like CBeebies Land is.

The result will be almost no different with or without Bradley, or any particular individual, because Merlin don't let individuals exercise any real creativity. Either that or they choose people who have the same kind of ideas that they already want.

They're there to fulfill Merlin's criteria, pull the thing into reality and talk the talk when it comes to media appearances. That's not to say people don't contribute a lot of work to projects though, within very restricted time & budgets.

The real difference of outcome is in where Merlin choose to drip feed their money and how they choose to market a ride. :)

lewis97 on towerstimes:

'Here's a wild bit of speculation...

This article quotes David Walliams mentioning a "Gangsta Granny Alton Towers ride" in some Britain's Got Talent related thing. Now of course it could just be something that he spontaneously made up in the context of the conversation, although something about Simon Cowell asking "Why do you think you got that?" seems to make it sound more true. What's somewhat curious is that that section of the conversation doesn't actually seem to feature in the video that's embedded in the article, even though everything else that's been quoted does.

Giving some thought to the Gangsta Granny IP and David Walliams' books (which are targeted at children and young teens) more generally, I could definitely see it being something that Towers would go for, as they're both on brand and also very successful, with film and stage adaptations. So, could we see Cloud Cuckoo Land become 'Walliams World' in 2019?
tongue.png
'

What would the other existing rides be retheme to?

Well that was a #%/!ing suprise to me, This'll bring Merlin tens of pounds in their pockets.
I'll be surised if anyone got those references. P.S sorry for swearing, It's a reference to how David Walliams writes his books. Children Books.

Plus it's worth a mention that books have film adaptations by the BBC which debut on BBC One at Christmas and are repeated as films on CBBC. So people weren't far off when people said 'CBBC Land'.

Oh, and for those who don't know about Gangsta Granny, It's about some old lady who used to rob banks and goes to steal the crown jules with her grandson.

Last edited:
I was surprised when I heard how popular his books were a few months ago. I'm thinking they'd have to pick a particular theme/book/character though instead of calling it Walliams land. Don't really care anyway, but I would be worried about the longevity of any given book/character.