• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

I was surprised when I heard how popular his books were a few months ago. I'm thinking they'd have to pick a particular theme/book/character though instead of calling it Walliams land. Don't really care anyway, but I would be worried about the longevity of any given book/character.
I wouldn't worry if I were you, David Walliams seems like he could become the next Roald Dahl, and Roald Dahl is pretty timeless, in my opinion. I reckon Walliams World could be a fantastic addition! So many possibilities for rides!

Burger kitchen can become rat burger kitchen.
Well the food there is that quality looks like that so I guess it wouldn't be that much of a difference anyway.

Back to serious talk now, With CCL do you think we'll see the whole area rethemed? Because Frog Hopper, Cuckoo Cars and Gallopers are a different target group (4 - 8) of that to Gangsta Granny/David Walliams target group (8-12ish).

So could they divide it and have Walliams World/Gangsta Granny area from the Skyride to Twirling Toadstool and the rest of the area remain CCL from Frog Hopper to Cuckoo Cars remain the same but now with the main entrance to CCL next to Hex?

I wouldn't worry if I were you, David Walliams seems like he could become the next Roald Dahl, and Roald Dahl is pretty timeless, in my opinion. I reckon Walliams World could be a fantastic addition! So many possibilities for rides!

Probably a bit early to be proclaiming David Walliams as the next Roald Dahl. However, he is apparently VERY successful at the moment, and as usual, I like your optimism. It reminds me of myself before the world broke me :)

I never even knew he was wrote books till this announcement on here. o_O
I’d just be content if they did anything as long as the area opened again with some attractions

The Quentin Blake art style would be very interesting converted into a real world 3D version. His illustrations are instantly recognisable and familiar across generations, which could give CCL the right feel for an wide appeal area (ages 5 and up) that Alton are lacking.

Unfortunately I've never ridden the chocolate factory ride, so I don't know how that was (sure I've read it wasn't great), another try at a book illustrated by Blake might be a chance to do justice to the style.

With Walliams books, I can imagine a bank robbery would make a good action packed dark ride. His other titles seem more difficult to convert to rides, though I'm sure it's possible with a little creativity and knowledge of the books (I've not read any of them!).

Last edited:
My mate's brother works in Splash Landings and apparently there's been rumours of a Space Jam land for a couple of years now. Dunno how true it is but 2021 will be the 25th anniversary of Space Jam and I can't even begin to comprehend the amount of visitors they could bring in if they marketed it correctly.

Space Jam? What is that?

*googles space jam*

Looks incredibly unrelatable for the target audience they need to reach with a CCL retheme, if I'm being honest. Very much doubt it'll happen.

Would anyone give two figs about Space Jam though...
Number of extra visitors it would bring in...about three.
A film best forgotten...38% on rotten tomatoes.

Unfortunately I've never ridden the chocolate factory ride, so I don't know how that was (sure I've read it wasn't great), another try at a book illustrated by Blake might be a chance to do justice to the style.
With Walliams books, I can imagine a bank robbery would make a good action packed dark ride. His other titles seem more difficult to convert to rides, though I'm sure it's possible with a little creativity and knowledge of the books (I've not read any of them!)
Urghh, You should've seen Charlie's conversion of the Quinton Blake art style, It was horrible.

I hope they don't keep the 3D Art style. It felt cheap.

I think the Cloud Cuckoo Theatre would make a great a facade for a bank!

I once had an idea the building could be themed as a museum from Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers. My idea was for an attraction based on a diamond heist, so it would be quite cool if it’s used for a similar idea for Gangsta Granny.

Of course, this rumour if based on truth could be a show rather than an actual ride but I'm just speculating.

Merlin strongly promote the idea that family attractions can only be successful if they have a widely known commercial IP.

They reiterated this recently so I have no doubt Cloud Cuckoo Land is going to become an IP area, meaning we have CBeebies Land type area within the same theme park, and almost no non-commercial family offering.

In reality, what Merlin mean are that IP tie ins are the best way to get the most amount of return for shareholders in the shortest space of time, not what makes the most appealing area for guests in the mid term or what the park really needs. It's what works best for their oversized company structure. Entertainment will always be sidelined for global expansion.

If it is that Alton are going all in on Gangsta Granny Land, it could in theory work. The carousel could be repurposed to be old ladies on all fours quite easily, and Charlie could be a grandma themed dark ride. The driving school could be mobility scooters and the frog hopper.... hmmm I suppose they could just change the frog to a nana. Wouldn't be too bad.

In fact now I think about it, Wobble World could finally re-open too. Grandma's enticing cave of fun. Something like that. Twirling Toadstool could become a colossal grandma of death. They could make it fight Wicker Man at Halloween.

In fact, sod it. Just have a 40ft mechanical old lady roaming around the park screaming facts about wildlife at children and ocasionally brandishing a semi realistic katana.

Squirrels.