• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

I wouldn't expect the contract with Lego to be that generic, if they wanted to build something new outside of the Legoland park they may need permission from the Lego Group.
Which I would think I would be very easy and the answer would be yes seeing as Lego own 30something % of Merlin anyway :rolleyes:
And I'm sure I've read somewhere (probably I'm wrong) that Merlin get first refusal of anything Lego theme park related

I wouldn't expect the contract with Lego to be that generic, if they wanted to build something new outside of the Legoland park they may need permission from the Lego Group.

Dump of a shareholder presentation:
The Licensing and Co-operating Agreement (‘LCA’) was signed with LEGO in 2005 upon Merlin’s acquisition of the four original parks in Denmark, California, UK and Germany Merlin pays a low single-digit % of revenue to Kirkbi for use of the brand Where Merlin owns a LEGOLAND park, it enjoys exclusivity to do so, in to perpetuity Where Merlin does not own a LEGOLAND park already, it has the global exclusivity to open further parks until 2033. However, for every new LEGOLAND park that is opened, or for every eight LEGOLAND Discovery Centres that are opened, this is extended by seven years. Once LEGOLAND Dubai, Japan and South Korea have been opened, this exclusivity will therefore extend to beyond 2050
Merlin could lose the right to operate the LEGOLAND brands were it to be acquired by a competitor of LEGO or an ‘inappropriate person’ Furthermore, Merlin could lose the license were guest satisfaction to fall below pre-determined levels. In this scenario, the relevant park would have a two year ‘grace’ period during which an improvement in performance would be sought, before the license is removed from that park. Other parks would be unaffected. Guest satisfaction levels are currently significantly above the minimum levels required Kirkbi, who are a 75% shareholder of the LEGO Group, are also a 29.89% shareholder in Merlin

Last edited:
Because, and I don't like the reason, original themes just cannot compete with IPs these days in terms of both attracting visitors and merchandising opportunities. Blame Harry Potter!

:)

But no UK park is ever going to be able to come close to the standard of Happy Rotter. They would be better off spending the money on something original.

I agree, but in the UK the likes of Thomas Land and Peppa Pig have shown the power of IPs. They are seen as less of a risk, especially for areas that may not have a headline stand alone attraction (like CBeebies and a possible basic 2019 re-theme of CCL).

I think its highly unlikely.The 4D will probably get a new IP pretty soon but I don't see Charlie being changed or wobbleworld.Cloud cuckoo land has just became that lost part that they have forgot about and now they have cbeebies land they don't think they need anymore.Plus the driving school had its cuckoo tlc not long ago !!!

I think its highly unlikely.The 4D will probably get a new IP pretty soon but I don't see Charlie being changed or wobbleworld.Cloud cuckoo land has just became that lost part that they have forgot about and now they have cbeebies land they don't think they need anymore.Plus the driving school had its cuckoo tlc not long ago !!!

The Ice Age facade was painted a year ago and then ripped out this year. The fact the driving school has been painted and the cars have new vinyl doesn't mean anything.

Towers have confirmed that Charlie has gone forever. Whenever it does re-open it will be a new ride/theme.

I agree, but in the UK the likes of Thomas Land and Peppa Pig have shown the power of IPs. They are seen as less of a risk, especially for areas that may not have a headline stand alone attraction (like CBeebies and a possible basic 2019 re-theme of CCL).

I do agree with this but something original could have the same effect, if I ask my boy or girl would he like to go to peppa pig world or dinosaur land (both the same park) then dinosaur always win. Kids are 3 and 5. I'm not suggesting dinosaurs as this has been done to death but as poultonts had peppa pig it allowed them to do something original as well. Alton is ripe for this! They have the pull of cbbies (sorry can't spell it) plus they have all the trill rides this would allow them to create something totally original and fantastic, if they build it well and market it right people WILL visit

I do agree with this but something original could have the same effect, if I ask my boy or girl would he like to go to peppa pig world or dinosaur land (both the same park) then dinosaur always win. Kids are 3 and 5.

and this is another reason why more could/should be added to Mutiny Bay, pirate land will always a popular idea, just like dinosaur land is.
There aren't too many other big generic themes that haven't been done are there? Soda pop factory (Professor Burp), Toyland Tours, Cavemen (UG Land), Pirates (Mutiny Bay, Pirates 4D, Pirates boat ride (DMT and Disney).
But I'm sure they could still find a concept that would work.

Can we have an area opposite of Gulliver's? 18+ only, make the street part of CCL have girls in the windows, many seedy drinking outlets, all the rides are mental and 18+ themed and make all the buildings look like a creepy trip? It'd be a win, and make the Earl look like a pimp

and this is another reason why more could/should be added to Mutiny Bay, pirate land will always a popular idea, just like dinosaur land is.
There aren't too many other big generic themes that haven't been done are there? Soda pop factory (Professor Burp), Toyland Tours, Cavemen (UG Land), Pirates (Mutiny Bay, Pirates 4D, Pirates boat ride (DMT and Disney).
But I'm sure they could still find a concept that would work.

Yes I agree 1000% they could do this pretty simply with not much investment at the start, just a few flat rides a bit of paint and some thought, 1 or 2 flat rides here when themed nicely would change the way the area of the park feels, even if it went down say a Wild West route for example. Have a saloon etc some where to get a nice steak and just a few well placed, nicely themed flat rides, that then gives slightly older children another option in the park while still giving the adults something to do, could also have like a Wild West stunt show here so the option of live entertainment would be welcomed as well, yes I know the likelihood of live actors in the park is a dream but if it was tried they could gauge if it was popular and worth the investment

As for adding more to mutiny bay I would like to see more added but feel ccl needs a direction first

Can we have an area opposite of Gulliver's? 18+ only, make the street part of CCL have girls in the windows, many seedy drinking outlets, all the rides are mental and 18+ themed and make all the buildings look like a creepy trip? It'd be a win, and make the Earl look like a pimp
So, an Amsterdam themed area? Complete with cafe? Sounds good to me! :D

I think we should see a complete re theme at some point doesn't have to be too dramatic. It should defiantly still be a happy area there should obviously be the existing rides a good re-theme of Charlie and the 4D cinema. I'd like to see another junior/family coaster on park not sure if that would happen in phase 1 of the development I would like to see them phase it so we see continued investment.
I'm personally not bothered if they bring in a decent if the Gruffalo at chessington looks great I know there are lots of bad examples to. I'm thinking something Dreamworks related would work well since they already have shrek at London and how to train your dragon in Germany.

I think unless they willing to strip the fronts of all the buildings and start again it's pointless just painting over the buildings every retheme but that's Merlin all over with all there rethemed areas looking the same as before. I can't believe there still props for the Nickelodeon attraction on top of some of the buildings.

Indeed. Merlin often seem unable to distinguish between "retheme" and repaint".