• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

On the subject of Little Britan, yes it's outragesly offensive but I always thought that was the point. The characters were so extreme you weren't meant to see them as real people but how ridiculous some stereotypes were.
I find it amusing when people say "It was made in a different time" but we arn't talking the 1940s, this was the early 2000s. We knew the show for what it was then.
That's not to say I think the show is appropriate now, and some of the later sketches deffientley crossed a line. But it's not a revelation that the show was offensive.

This is why (to bring things back on topic) I don't think it'll effect David Walliams current reputation. I always had the impression that he and Matt Lucas have quite progressive views, which was partly what allowed them to get away with a show like Little Britain in the first place.

On the subject of Little Britan, yes it's outragesly offensive but I always thought that was the point. The characters were so extreme you weren't meant to see them as real people but how ridiculous some stereotypes were.
I find it amusing when people say "It was made in a different time" but we arn't talking the 1940s, this was the early 2000s. We knew the show for what it was then.
That's not to say I think the show is appropriate now, and some of the later sketches deffientley crossed a line. But it's not a revelation that the show was offensive.

This is why (to bring things back on topic) I don't think it'll effect David Walliams current reputation. I always had the impression that he and Matt Lucas have quite progressive views, which was partly what allowed them to get away with a show like Little Britain in the first place.

I don’t want to get into a big debate in the wrong thread but some of the characters were over the top extremes as you say and the silliness was the joke (such as the only gay in the village), but where blackface was used it didn’t have the same feel to it on those sketches.

I don’t want to get into a big debate in the wrong thread but some of the characters were over the top extremes as you say and the silliness was the joke (such as the only gay in the village), but where blackface was used it didn’t have the same feel to it on those sketches.
I agree. Desiree DeVere and Ting Tong were some of the sketches I drew a line at.

and back on topic, I think David Walliams the author and talent show judge is sufficiently removed from David Walliams the comedy sketch performer.

David walliams has built a career away from little Britain that unless you watched it first time round you wouldn’t remember he was in it. The generation that are aimed at with the ride just know him as an author and talent show judge. He has moved on so much since the series was last shown on tv that it wouldn’t affect him in the slightest.

Tbh if the public pressure is there it doesn't matter how squeaky clean his current image may be unfortunately. Cancel culture is loud and demanding.

Peep Show will be next to be pulled from Netflix, watched a funny but controversial episode last night.

I agree. Desiree DeVere and Ting Tong were some of the sketches I drew a line at.

Those kind of sketches I found to be good flash in the pan moments, however they weren't funny beyond the one sketch. One liners. A bit like Precious from Come Fly with Me, it's funny the first time but that's where it ends.

Anyway...

What do you think they will do for area music?

Something light, upbeat, kiddie... I imagine they will use their in-house composer for area audio at the least, given this is a relatively low budget investment. Wouldn't surprise me if they went with something similar to the Clould Cuckoo Land music (or they could be really lazy and use the exact same soundtrack).

Reactions: Tim
What do you think they will do for area music?
At John Lewis day there was music playing at the entrance to the area, unfortunately with the loud dungeons music also playing it was hard to hear or get a video of. It definitely had ITHOTMK in it, I imagine it was made by that guy who’s done all their recent music (other than Imascore).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At John Lewis day there was music playing at the entrance to the area, unfortunately with the loud dungeons music also playing it was hard to hear or get a video of. It definitely had ITHOTMK in it, I imagine it was made by that guy who’s done all their recent music (other than Imascore).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Simon Allen? https://www.youtube.com/user/simonallenmusic He works at Towers too.

Isn’t he in the entertainments department? Or does he do something else?

To be honest, I think a soundtrack from him would be very good for the area, as I do rather like some of his recent work (The Welcoming soundtrack and The Alton Towers Dungeon soundtrack are some of my favourites of what he’s done)!

Isn’t he in the entertainments department? Or does he do something else?

To be honest, I think a soundtrack from him would be very good for the area, as I do rather like some of his recent work (The Welcoming soundtrack and The Alton Towers Dungeon soundtrack are some of my favourites of what he’s done)!
Yeah according to his YT channel he is the "Creative manager and Musical Director at the Alton Towers Resort". The Welcoming is one of my faves (reminiscent of the BBC's Springwatch theme) and The Attic is fantastic too. Duel is also very good - love the way it starts quite innocently, and ramps up to create fear. All the tracks are on his channel to listen to.

Walliams is trending again on Twitter, and this time for issues raised about his children's books.

The thread that appears to have started it.

Are people incapable of having their own opinions?
I've not read his books but I know they are very popular and the TV adaptions have been fun to watch. If they were really that bad people would have shunned the books ages ago. Yet an influencer tells people they don't like them and suddenly all their fans are against them?
Madness.

I'm not particularly a fan of Jack Monroe but I think it's a little flippant to throw our hands in the air and say "THAT'S IT BAN ALL BOOKS" when the Twitter thread actually shines a light on some problematic racial stereotypes in his work.