• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Are people incapable of having their own opinions?
I've not read his books but I know they are very popular and the TV adaptions have been fun to watch. If they were really that bad people would have shunned the books ages ago. Yet an influencer tells people they don't like them and suddenly all their fans are against them?
Madness.

I’m enjoying the irony of someone bemoaning the incapability of someone having their own opinion based on the screenshot of a Tweet of someone having their own opinion :D

I think the poster was using a little humour.
But I now realise that we all must be much more serious about the future of Cloud Cuckoo Land, as a matter of great national importance.
Could we ban twitter as well as all books.
We could have a Twitter ip at Towers. It takes you through all the emotions, hatred, hatred and oh hatred to others!
You have to pick up the 3D rose tinted glasses on the way in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m enjoying the irony of someone bemoaning the incapability of someone having their own opinion based on the screenshot of a Tweet of someone having their own opinion :D
That's not Irony though is it. That's the whole point. You've got to have an opinion for people to copy it.

There's nothing wrong with the original tweet, it's a fair opinion. 2.8k people repeating the opinion when it's not their own is weird though.

Last edited:
I'm not particularly a fan of Jack Monroe but I think it's a little flippant to throw our hands in the air and say "THAT'S IT BAN ALL BOOKS" when the Twitter thread actually shines a light on some problematic racial stereotypes in his work.
@Matgo, I mean no malice with this reply, but please don't take everything so seriously! My post was merely the written way of throwing my hands up in the air saying "That's it, I've had enough, I give up! What will Twitter folk pick on next?"

Sarcasm and to an extent humour is very difficult to convey in the written word but I hope most people got what I was intending by writing it. Maybe I should've but in a :rolleyes::p to show it was a joke.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion and are allowed to express it, however I do not agree with that Twitter user's opinion about the books and that was the reason for me making the post.

I think for 2021 when the area opens they should have Mr Stink showing in the 4D cinema and instead of re-theming the driving school to bad dad they should add bumper cars to the area instead and theme it to bad dad.

@Matgo, I mean no malice with this reply, but please don't take everything so seriously! My post was merely the written way of throwing my hands up in the air saying "That's it, I've had enough, I give up! What will Twitter folk pick on next?"

Sarcasm and to an extent humour is very difficult to convey in the written word but I hope most people got what I was intending by writing it. Maybe I should've but in a :rolleyes::p to show it was a joke.

I fully got your sarcasm but as someone that has been at the receiving end of discrimination and bullying I'm a little exhausted of trivialising genuine concerns about the use of damaging stereotypes in the media.

I understand no malice was intended.

...That was quite the read, it starts with her pointing out an actual slur and ends with her agreeing that yes, Little Britain probably was a tory conspiracy to make the stupid sheep accept austerity!

Twitter genuinely scares me.

Anyway
Surely Towers are bound by contract to have the Gangsta Granny ride for a set number of years, so I'm pretty confident that they won't get rid of it over this, but then...I thought Splash Mountain was sacred.

I’d say the new ride is completely safe for next season at least. Only an absolute fool would rip out an entire ride before its even opened. Now unless something more serious comes out I think it’s safe to say the ride isn’t going anywhere for at least one season. Also I dread to think how much it would cost to get rid of the contract.

Also, this is a tiny minority of Walliams’ book sales. Most of his other books are absolutely huge bestsellers, and none of his other hit books include anything too racist or stereotypical as far as I’m aware.

Provided they don’t use this book, they should be OK.

Also, this is a tiny minority of Walliams’ book sales. Most of his other books are absolutely huge bestsellers, and none of his other hit books include anything too racist or stereotypical as far as I’m aware.

Provided they don’t use this book, they should be OK.

Two of the attractions are based on the character of Raj, including Raj's Shop:

0_Rajs-Shop-at-Alton-Towers-Resort.jpg

Raj is an Asian shopkeeper known for his penny-pinching ways, including trying to sell items past their sell-by date to unwitting customers. He also has a muddled grasp of the English language.

Raj is an Asian shopkeeper known for his penny-pinching ways, including trying to sell items past their sell-by date to unwitting customers.

I don't think that description in itself is an issue, it could apply to Arkwright in Open All Hours as well. Its a sterotype of the British corner shop owner.

He also has a muddled grasp of the English language.
But this could be seen as a racial stereotype, but it could also just be a comic character, I've not read the books so it is hard to say.

Both can be seen as Asian stereotypes and it's reaching a little to suggest otherwise. Arkwright is something of an anomaly when it comes to the stereotypical corner shop keeper, certainly in more recent years.

Going around in circles trying not to upset anyone?

I'm not afraid of upsetting people that are dismissive of even debating about racial stereotypes. I think it's an important issue as said stereotypes have caused a great deal of racist abuse and discrimination.

I hate to say it but I used to live above a corner shop and that stereotype was quite accurate. There was anouther shop at the other end of the street and it was true there as well.

But I do agree that it doesn't help reinforcing these stereotypes.