• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

We’ve prebooked the 17th of May for a visit, I’ll be interested to see the new attraction and of course how the capacity is !
If you can get to the park before it opens, it might be a good idea to go to GG first before the crowds get there.

I think the fact the advertising for the ride has been bubbling away for way over a year now isnt going to help the capacity issues.

I get from a business perspective they wanted a full(ish) season for its a premier year, but GG is probably Towers worst ride I can think of for having such an extensive period of anticipation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can get to the park before it opens, it might be a good idea to go to GG first before the crowds get there.
The vidiots will be there, rattling the gates and interviewing each other from first light, about six am.
There will be a thousand of them sprinting from the gates at opening, making the queue one hour within seconds with that throughput...all of them "grown ups".
Allegedly.

It might have made more sense to open the ride officially on Sat 22nd May (as most the the target market will be in school on the weekdays following the 17th when it will open anyway).

That way they could have got the vloggers and some of the die hard fans through the ride with soft-openings on those weekdays.

It might have made more sense to open the ride officially on Sat 22nd May (as most the the target market will be in school on the weekdays following the 17th when it will open anyway).

That way they could have got the vloggers and some of the die hard fans through the ride with soft-openings on those weekdays.
Surely then it makes more sense the way they’re doing it? Get the vloggers and all that rubbish out the way during the week, then the families can enjoy it properly at the weekend once kids are off school

regardless, I wonder if the roped queue line out the front of GG is designed to be extended for demand? I can imagine it will be far busier than what that small pen they’ve already set up will hold, especially taking distancing and how busy the park has been into account

I think they’re opening it on Monday because that’s when indoor attractions are allowed on the roadmap.

It will be helpful in accommodating any adult enthusiasts who want to experience it, though, as well as leaving the ride open for the younger families, because the adult enthusiasts can go on it during the initial weekdays (when there are unlikely to be many children on park), and then it’s mostly left for the families on the weekends.

Surely then it makes more sense the way they’re doing it? Get the vloggers and all that rubbish out the way during the week, then the families can enjoy it properly at the weekend once kids are off school

Yeah you are right. I thought of that soon after I posted. Brain fart moment :)

It would appear you need a BBC account to watch the iPlayer segment, so for those who don’t have one, here’s the segment from TowersTimes:

I’ve got to say, I’m very impressed with the ride; I think it looks absolutely terrific for the younger families, if I’m being honest! The land itself also looks fantastic, with lots of nice little details around! Even if the ride is admittedly not the longest, and apparently doesn’t have the highest capacity, what it does have looks really well done, so I’ll happily applaud Towers in that regard!

So all in all; top job, Towers! I really hope the land brings the park the success it deserves!

Here is a better quality version on YouTube. It does look impressive, lots of stops too which will make the ride experience last longer. Interesting at 1:29 there is projection onto a sheet of some sort which then lifts out of the way so the car continues forwards

Obviously it is going to be far too short but what is there actually looks fairly good. And as Walliams said, if it makes kids happy then it has done a job. Let's see how happy they are after an hour queue mind...!

Looks like a nice quality addition to the family line up. The capacity issue is a genuine concern though. Can only imagine the queues this will get on a peak day.

However that aside it looks fab. Vloggers should be banned. :)

It does look very good! The cars seem like they stop and rotate quite a bit so it might not be as short as I originally thought it was going to be! I hope the area pays off well for them!

Does look like it's very screen-heavy though, but I'll reserve full judgement till I've ridden it. Am actually really looking forward to giving it a go I must admit. :)

So all in all; top job, Towers! I really hope the land brings the park the success it deserves!

RANT ALERT.

Top job Towers? Are you having a laugh?

Please step back a little from the 'chamber of hype & delight' and assess this project properly. It may well be a perfectly palatable ride alone for young families. But compare this with the dark rides that Alton Towers have installed in the past! Around the World in Eighty Days / Toyland Tours, Haunted House. Hex... even the quality of Sharkbait Reef!

This is a cheap-end attraction with nowhere near the budgets of the rides that have gone before, in an area that has, quite literally, got rotting buildings that have been re-painted and painted again into different themes over 30 years because the park has a complete aversion to actual construction. Behind the paint-job, the interior of the theatre is still Ice Age themed. The driving school is right there and totally unlinked!? God forbid a budget to do things properly. The start of Walliams' segment on Midlands Today and he's stood in front of those ancient Cred Street facades. My god... it's like the Oktoberfest Stella goblets all over again. This area is incomplete. It doesn't even have a proper food outlet. Even Cloud Cuckoo Land boasted that! The poor planning and delivery in a brand new area resulting in a hired in ride to top it up - before it's even opened? What the hell! CCL even 'boasted' a live show at one stage even! Nick Varney continues to allow these resorts to scratch about for pennies down the back of the sofa and it's an embarrassing state of play when you have Paultons doing what they're doing.

All this said, as a small, minor dark ride, the ride itself will be adequate, even if it fell off the back of a lorry and was designed for a waxworks... I am sure, but the rest? Please. It's anything but rocket science and high-end investment. And that queue line - well. God knows how long it will be with a capacity under 400/hour. What are the park thinking?

Alton added Th13teen and couldn't properly afford to do anything with the area.
Alton added Gangsta Granny and couldn't properly afford to do anything with the area.

Recurring theme.

Let's hope £10m+ ride investments get back in town sooner rather than later, Alton can't afford this hand-me-down approach for much longer.

That was nice, though. Been a while since a good old ATR rant.

Last edited: