2021: The World of David Walliams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AstroDan, 16th Jan 2017.

1. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Could be interesting and help bridge the gap between the larger coasters and cbeebies

interesting to see what this ride is and why they never considered the dungeons as a site for a ride

Skyscraper and Charlie Newbold like this.
  2. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

Currently one of the best selling children’s authors in the UK.

Stuie and Skyscraper like this.
  3. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Best known for Little Britain if you ask me.... maybe they will incorporate a Little Britain ride? - TingTong - The Ride? :)

Ciaran, MaxPower, Jonathan and 5 others like this.
  4. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    Les Dennis who? Hah!

5. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

They probably did, it might explain why Charlie was sat closed for so long and the surrounding area basically fall into limbo while plans were chopped and delayed in the usual fashion. Then the Dungeon wheeled in as a backup idea while the DW area was revised?

A David Walliams area is not what Alton Towers needs long term. It will be CBeebies Land 2 for better or worse.

Other than Wicker Man, Alton Towers is increasingly a patchwork of grey ‘dark’ themes and tired rides with garish new IPs slapped around the place. What IS Alton Towers now?

6. Jb85

Jb85 TowersStreet Member

Maybe they will use it in future expansion of the area

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes
    I believe it was considered when the original plan was to re-theme CCL this year instead of next.

Hopefully the Dungeons are part of the re-theme as well but I'm doubtful.

Skyscraper and OilyWater like this.
  8. JSF VIDS ROLLERCOASTERS

JSF VIDS ROLLERCOASTERS TowersStreet Member

You all laughed at me?? Wonder when Les Dennis World in Forbidden Valley will start construction? (sorry for the long message).

9. Dave

Dave TS Founding Member

my understanding is his books are aimed at children older than CBeebies age bracket so from a demographic perspective it is likely what Towera need. Obviously no idea on the quality of the final product but the IP fills the 6-11 gap the park currently has.

10. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Should be a very good land for the park! I think that Alton have chosen a very good IP here; Walliams' books are great and very popular among the older childrens' audience! The next question is; which book will each ride be themed to? And what will the "standout attraction" that has been mentioned in the marketing be?
    I don't think it will be CBeebies Land 2; as @Dave said, David Walliams' books are aimed at an older audience than CBeebies, and isn't an area for older children what people wanted as a replacement for CCL after CBeebies?

11. Tibble

Tibble TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Just confirmed to be David walliams land online

[​IMG]

Skyscraper and Matt N like this.
  12. Jordan

Jordan TS Contributor

I am excited to see the Cloud Cuckoo Land Theatre return to feature Blankety Blank: LIVE

Croftybaby likes this.
  13. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

Personally, I think this is just about as poor as any IP choice could be.

Darren Brown is a good entertainer, but creating an attraction based upon a single celebrity didn't work and did not enhance gate numbers.

David Walliams seems a nice chap, though his comedy is not to my personal taste ((more 1970's). Fair enough, I'm not the demographic they are looking for.

With the exception of book covers, I don't think there is much of a universally accepted art style to this.

I'm guessing this will be based upon his books, but I'm not sure that I would put a karaoke machine with a Walliams avatar passing judgement on participants as an attraction past Merlin.

Main criticism _ AT used to be magical, a day away from the normal world. It still is, but I don't see the magic in this.

I hope I'm wrong

Last edited: 17th Oct 2019
    MaxPower, Poopoohead and DiogoJ42 like this.
  14. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    Obviously your post was heavily dosed with sarcasm but I think its still worth responding as there seems to be genuine confusion from a number of people:
    https://www.worldofdavidwalliams.com/
    "The World of David Walliams" is a brand in itself separate from Walliams' comedy, talent judging etc.
    It exclusively covers his children's books, shows and short films, the site linked is well worth a browse to see the type of content and style we can expect in this area.

15. D4n

D4n TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Personally I am very excited for this new children's area featuring 'Lou and Andy's Wheelchair Adventure', 'The I'm a Lady Show' and 'The Pussywagon' omnimover experience

MattyH, Ciaran, MaxPower and 7 others like this.
  16. Altonadvocate1

Altonadvocate1 TowersStreet Member

To be fair, there is some imagination in the artwork and website. Not sure how this would translate to a dark ride, but then I'm not an Imagineer. Thanks for the link.

I wish them well with this. (no sarcasm intended).

Last edited: 17th Oct 2019
  17. Plastic Person

Plastic Person TowersStreet Member

Walliams is an insufferable A-list bum sniffer who hasn't been funny for nearly twenty years, however, his books are incredibly popular and will likely remain so, having spoken to a whole generation of schoolchildren for the past decade. I mean, he doesn't write them*, but they will translate perfectly well to a theme park land. Cloud Cuckoo Land has always been the assigned zone for fads, anyway; Sonic, Cadbury's Caramel Bunny, Nickelodeon, Barney, The Tweenies and now the co-creator of Rock Profile.

*Allegedly.

18. TheBolt

TheBolt TowersStreet Member

Globally, and with under 20s he is a lot better known as an author and the Britains Got Talent judge. He has sold 25m books, and the latest ones have become an annual Xmas gift for most kids of reading age, off the back of trying to be the new Roald Dahl (in the same way Oasis were the new Beatles...i.e. he isn"t).

Presumably that is the end of the Driving School, frog hopper and the mini carousel? Making the cars Bad Dads getaway cars seems a bit of a stretch. I guess the other two could be easily relocated, but they are both likely near end of life, and the frog hopper was duplicated in Cbeebies already.

The theatre must be a certainty for a 3D film?
    The new ride sounds like it is just in the existing structure as nobody has turned up any planning applications. That is 1/2 the size of the Dungeons or Duel buildings, so it will be quite a short experience.
    The old sweet shop might reopen as Raj's sweets? (hopefully not too authentic with that one). A Ratburger van is maybe a bit close to the menu at the Burger Kitchen already?

A relevant IP, and at least the area will be used again. Not convinced it will be the big thing that returns AT to its glory years; it just seems like a solid improvement that acknowledges one of the gaps in their offering.

19. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Maybe they'll use the theatre for a BGT Experience? :p

I think this new land will be great though, depending on the quality and thought put into the attractions. :)

20. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Glad to see that this has been announced. I don't really know anything about his books other than that they are extremely popular, so it is a good IP choice for me. It's something very British as well which I personally think works better at Alton Towers than say a big Dreamworks IP.

This has obviously been in the pipeline for a little while and I reckon that the original plan was to make use of the Charlie ride system and/or building. Obviously that opportunity has now gone and I believe that the budget for 2020 is not massive, so I hope whatever attraction we do get is of sufficient quality. The park is in desperate need of family rides for those too old for CBeebies Land.