• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

World's first Gangsta Granny ride.
World's first David Walliams themed ride.
World's first ride themed to OAPs committing crime.
World's first ride themed to OAPs.
World's first dark ride in the former Wobble World cafe.

The list can go on.

I think we should expect something similar to Ninjago at Legoland Windsor given the short layout and "State of the art" effects.

In terms of sizing, the ride building is outlined in red.

The dark red is the ride building for Bench at Europa Park - inc queue line and exit.
The dark green is the ride building for Alice at Pleasure Beach - exc queue line, exit and external layout.
The dark blue is the ride building for Duel - exc external queue line and shop.

ca4a7b8137a7fb147bb0e81a73e3fa8c.jpg

What was Wicker Man's World First? I've forgot so I'm guessing it wasn't much...
Originally it was the "World's first wooden coaster to fuse wood and fire" but that was quickly dropped. If it has any world's first - and this is a bit tenuous - I think it is the world's first GCI coaster to have a dual angle lift hill

It's also the world's first wooden roller coaster to feature a pre-show with a Scottish voice over.
World's first roller coaster inspired by a Nicholas Cage film.
World's first roller coaster to have a segment of queue line spell out the an abbreviation of the ride's name.
World's first wooden roller coaster to utilise the most ridiculous queue line flood lights after dark.

It's also the world's first wooden roller coaster to feature a pre-show with a Scottish voice over.
World's first roller coaster inspired by a Nicholas Cage film.
World's first roller coaster to have a segment of queue line spell out the an abbreviation of the ride's name.
World's first wooden roller coaster to utilise the most ridiculous queue line flood lights after dark.
I'm still disappointed by the lack of bees on Wickerman

It’s interesting that they aren’t committing to an actual opening date just yet. Assuming it will be March, but I guess if it’s not quite ready then they can get away with it.

As reported in the Birmingham post

"Grannies (and Grandads) Go Free!

To celebrate the announcement of Gangsta Granny: The Ride - and to acknowledge the amazing adventures that children can enjoy with their grandparents Alton Towers is also inviting children to bring their Granny (or Grandpa) for free in 2020.

The offer entitles people aged 60 and over to one free adult ticket per full price child ticket when purchased either online (at the full gate price) or in person (if staying at the Alton Towers Resort Hotels) between January 9 to 20 March 20, 2020."

As pointed out on social media, not all grandparents are as old as 60 there are plety of younger grandparents around

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/new-gangsta-granny-4d-ride-17531381

It’s just a slight variation to the ‘Grown ups go free’ offer that has been plastered on most Kellogg’s cereal boxes for the past 5yrs.

Using Grannies as a nice marketing tie in. If you want BOGOF vouchers for anyone under 60 for the same price as this offer then just buy some cereal.

In other news, it wouldn’t be Alton Towers without some spelling and grammar mess ups.

pQQvMnN.jpg

I6syQe9.jpg

Last edited:
I know we’ve had the debate about IPs quite a bit over the years, but I do wonder how long the licence is and what will happen when it expires. It’s interesting that people have mentioned Piccolo Mondo and Bench, which opened in 1982 and 1998 respectively. Part of Europa Park’s success is that their rides are built to last. I don’t think they’d build a ride if they only expected it to last for 10 years. Although they have recently started using more IPs. Aside from not having IPs, Piccolo Mondo and Bench only need one operator, so there isn’t a lot of running cost to justify. Gangsta Granny probably will be a fun support attraction, but hopefully it will have longetivity and not be a short term ride for a quick marketing hit.

Theme Park Worldwide now has a video online about it:

I haven't just put Shawn's video in for the sake of it, however; the main reason that I talk about Shawn's video is because he mentions an interesting point. He says that the ride could potentially get around its short track length by having scenes on both sides, as the ride vehicles have the ability to spin 360 degrees! Therefore, that would make the ride seem longer than it actually is, because you would have a scene on either side of the ride vehicle. This would definitely be a clever way to get around the space restrictions of the building, and it would definitely be possible because from the rendering, the ride vehicles completely hide what's behind you, so it would be possible to obscure the next scene behind the riders while they're watching a different scene, even though they are within very close range of one another!