• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

"Lego Towers" is the best hope for CCL I think, and could actually be rather good.

Lego castle facades, a Lego Movie 4D show and re-purposing Charlie as a new Flume using a bit of Coaster Corner. Not entirely dissimilar to a 'Duloc' area, in fact.

Yeah I could definitely see it being themed to "far far away" or even that theme park within the first film. The building facades, escpecially the houses are already set up and suited to that theme.

Plus having a dreamworks IP means merlin will have to ensure the quality of theming and rides is spot on to please dream works enough to give them the IP.

If they do indeed get a DreamWorks themed area, I would rather they get a actual DreamWorks land covering multiple of their IP's rather than just a single one. Much like the dream works area at Dreamworld in Aus or at the new motiongate park. This would allow a bit more variety, would make it much easier to keep the area up to date and relevant as can add new rides/attractions based on their latest IP's.

I could see in 2019 all existing attractions being updated into the new theme along with a re-themed Charlie and 4d Theatre and possible a performance venue. Then in 2020 the area expanded with additional new rides/attractions.

Not sure how Universal buying DreamWorks last year will effect things as I understand one of the big reasons they purchased them was to get more of the IP's into their own parks.

Last edited:
It's not really the direction i want Towers to go. Leave the IP'S over the pond. The uniqueness would fade, i can JUST about tolerate Cebeebee's. (I know its spelt wrong.)

I think one ip is good as it attracts guests that would otherwise not visit the towers and whilst they are there they can discover the uniqueness that will bring them back. Filling the whole park with ip's however is ridiculous as it loses all the things what made me fall in love with the towers as a child...which was indeed unique themed areas and bits of theming. However merlin probably don't care about that as they see ip's as a quick money making scheme

I think one ip is good as it attracts guests that would otherwise not visit the towers and whilst they are there they can discover the uniqueness that will bring them back. Filling the whole park with ip's however is ridiculous as it loses all the things what made me fall in love with the towers as a child...which was indeed unique themed areas and bits of theming. However merlin probably don't care about that as they see ip's as a quick money making scheme
I agree with you in the sense that I don't want to see the whole park covered in IP's but I don't think that this will happen we haven't seen any secret weapons that are IP's yet.
The most effective way of bringing the general public into a childrens area seems to be by using IP's.
I personally quite like childrens areas as IP's as long as when the IP becomes irrelevant they are able to get a new one rather than having a run down area of a Theme park.

Yeah, to be honest, I don't mind any of the kids areas having IP's at all. When you're that age and you see these shows on the TV and then eventually have a chance to 'visit' them and meet the characters, it must be like a dream. I think that's great for the kids. I appreciate a bit more originality for the 'grown up' areas and rides though, on the whole.

You know what be a cool for Alton Towers, a 4D cinema similar to the one in the Blackpool Tower or Drayton Manor because the 4D on both Ice Age shows were quite frankly weak and the lack of any simulation or immersion. Every time I do the Drayton Manor or Blackpool Tower I come off happy as they are good experiences but whenever I came off Ice Age I think, Well that was disappointing. To be honest Ice Age and Charlie were the only rides which made me feel disappointed when I came off, bearing in mind I did Pirates 4D and Excalibur(And yes, the effects were working on Excalibur then) at Drayton Manor, A big corporate company like Merlin could easily beat a small family park.

But hopefully with rides such as The Gruffalo and Derren Brown's Ghost Train under Merlin's belt, I certainly expect one high quality 4D show and a high quality dark ride.

Im always going to support my idea of a lego themed area, merlin have done a great job in the past with lego theming. However I do think this area whatever is done will be aimed at an older audience to what it currently is, which will probably lead to the relocation or removal of the frog hopper, gallopers and the driving school. Frog hopper and gallopers could easily fit in cbeebies land / spinball's area.

What would be good in the area is a small vekoma family boomerang, a zamperla disco and a dodgems, I can also see the burger kitchen being turned into another themed restaurant. Would also like to see them do something with the 4d cinema which isnt a bench and some card glasses with foot ticklers. Also, the swings could have so many possibility into being a cool looking ride. Merlin are doing decent with theming right now too

A Boomerang would be too tall and a Disk-o has no throughput at all (see Kobra or Airbender) not to mention the fact that they are a terrible ride experience as well. I still think a boat ride retheme (4th theme) for CATCF, a flume, return of the Toadstool, some use for the buildings (return of a soft play area, maybe some unmanned attractions like Nina's) with driving school down the far end. Theme wise? Not too sure tbh, Nicole's suggesting of an entire carnival theme might work

Im always going to support my idea of a lego themed area, merlin have done a great job in the past with lego theming. However I do think this area whatever is done will be aimed at an older audience to what it currently is, which will probably lead to the relocation or removal of the frog hopper, gallopers and the driving school. Frog hopper and gallopers could easily fit in cbeebies land / spinball's area.

What would be good in the area is a small vekoma family boomerang, a zamperla disco and a dodgems, I can also see the burger kitchen being turned into another themed restaurant. Would also like to see them do something with the 4d cinema which isnt a bench and some card glasses with foot ticklers. Also, the swings could have so many possibility into being a cool looking ride. Merlin are doing decent with theming right now too
Like the idea of relocating some of the rides from cloud cuckoo to spinball area.
Then they can add some new rides to the new themed area that is created. A family coaster a few flats. I personally like the idea of a zamperla disco and the issues of throughput wouldn't be negated by the addition of the family coaster and by the volume of other major attractions at the Towers.
Alton needs a few more happy areas that are targeted towards the 8 and up market that injects a bit of happiness and liveliness. The addition of an IP such as Dreamworks land could do this. It could also be a multi-phase development over a few years.

Just got back from the park today and the frog hopper has been moved. It now sits directly in front of the old Ice Age building so it's the first thing you see as you are walking up to CCL. Maybe moving it opens up space for future rides in the area or maybe they just wanted to cover up the huge building sitting there doing nothing but seemed interesting that they have done it this early in the season.

I know they are not allowed to build coasters on the old coaster corner but how great would it be to open that area up including the flag tower some how. A whole new area in place of ccl!

I know they are not allowed to build coasters on the old coaster corner but how great would it be to open that area up including the flag tower some how. A whole new area in place of ccl!
Yeah you're right its a sensitive site but it was in the long term plan as a potential site for a roller coaster so as long as there are noise considerations etc. it's still a possibility. :)