• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

Yeah I was thinking about this the other day, wasn't there a time when some storage (belonging to Merlin Studios) was found open in the Towers, and it had a full Shrek mould and other dreamworks elements.

Yeah, something like that.

It makes you wonder what changed for Alton Towers then, and how much of those plans morphed into what became the London attraction. I guess the London attraction perhaps offered better return on investment for such a high-profile IP compared to Towers - with dedicated income for that one attraction, larger international audience through London tourism and wider scope for random 'walk-in' visitors.

If I recall correctly, DreamWorks pulled out not Towers but I don't remember the details why

Things would have been a lot different if we actually got the dreamworks/shrek area at towers, as I believe it was meant to be where storybook land is and would use the old ice tent.

This would have meant no Ice Age 4D in 2012, could have been changed to sub terra, then of course probably no CBeebies Land in 2014 or any of the rides we got afterwards and even the CBeebies Land hotel!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd rather anything but Shrek, considering how much of a flat out joke Shrek became soon after 2012.

But this just shows how little it matters to them what the IP is, so long as it's an IP going cheap. Shrek and Ice Age had long since had their day (like err over a decade ago) and so were going cheaper, but so they could still hold the claim of having an "international brand recognised IP". Uhhh trashhhh

And as tacky as CBeebies is as a theme, at least it's something Uk based, contemporary and not the arse end of some global franchise machine being capitalised upon.

The hotel would have definitely happened with or without CBeebies. Thats the aim of their game with all their resort theme parks and I question to what lengths their rip off accommodation formula is going to go.

I'd rather anything but Shrek, considering how much of a flat out joke Shrek became soon after 2012.

In fairness I think that Storybook Land would have looked better rethemed into Shrek's swamp than the tackiness it is now with the lazy multicoloured CBeebies overlay.

Of course though with Merlin it would only ever have been cheap vinyl signs and cardboard cut outs of Shrek and co.

I also agree with your point about not wanting an American franchise IP.

Of course though with Merlin it would only ever have been cheap vinylsigns and cardboard cut outs of Shrek and co.

Unlikely. Dreamworks are hardly JK Rowling in their quality control when it comes to their franchise work (this could change, now they are owned by Universal), but they expect a certain standard, as demonstrated by the admittedly thorough Shrek's Adventure. CBeebies is the BBC's main workhorse too, hence CBeebies Land being produced to a better standard than much else of what we've seen at Towers lately.

Ice Age was admittedly a total bust.

In fairness I think that Storybook Land would have looked better rethemed into Shrek's swamp than the tackiness it is now with the lazy multicoloured CBeebies overlay.

Of course though with Merlin it would only ever have been cheap vinyl signs and cardboard cut outs of Shrek and co.

I also agree with your point about not wanting an American franchise IP.

I think that's harsh on CBeebies land, it's a lot more interesting than a carbon copy Shrek 4D and pretty well done.

Along with Sharkbait reef I think it's the best we have got out of Merlin which I agree isn't saying much.

I would imagine we'll get toadstool back in 2019 too and that whole left hand side by the Charlie building will remain boarded up next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole of CCL was shut during 2018 for a rebuild
Because the marketing approach of the park is likely to change next year I don't think this would be too much of a problem. There's only a few attractions in this area anyway. If they were to close it after the summer holidays would make sense cause fewer kids visit in scarefest and the later season anyway.

It doesn't need work that drastic. If you look beyond the garish colours and the way it's been laid out, it's still a very good themed area. The building facades from Burger Kitchen right up to Driving School are excellent.

It just needs the love it deserves up there. A return to a street like layout and theme would be my choice. I'm sure there's a good theme that could suit it's current facades.

It doesn't need work that drastic. If you look beyond the garish colours and the way it's been laid out, it's still a very good themed area. The building facades from Burger Kitchen right up to Driving School are excellent.

It just needs the love it deserves up there. A return to a street like layout and theme would be my choice. I'm sure there's a good theme that could suit it's current facades.
Oh, I like all the Facades but I'd like to see room made possible for a few new rides, not just a re-theme.

Oh, I like all the Facades but I'd like to see room made possible for a few new rides, not just a re-theme.
Well Driving School is staying where it is, all the buildings including Charlie, the cinema, Nick OOC and wobble world are all empty and the area in front of coaster corner where toadstool sits is massive. So that's room for at least SIX attractions there!

Well Driving School is staying where it is, all the buildings including Charlie, the cinema, Nick OOC and wobble world are all empty and the area in front of coaster corner where toadstool sits is massive. So that's room for at least SIX attractions there!
We'll be lucky if we get one :p