• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

The World of David Walliams: General Discussion

A dark ride, in a 700 square meter area (at a push, if Driving School loses its inside space and the cafe is gone) comparatively Duel is 2300 square meters. Plus the rumour some of the queue is inside too which makes the area EVEN smaller...

I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Be good to compare with the floor space of Bench / Piccolo Mondo

Be good to compare with the floor space of Bench / Piccolo Mondo
I'm sure someone round here is working out the exact area of all those buildings on Google Earth at this very moment. (Though doesn't PM use two levels?)

I'm sure someone round here is working out the exact area of all those buildings on Google Earth at this very moment. (Though doesn't PM use two levels?)

well I have a snap from what3words but no idea how to upload photos from my iphone.If someone can be bothered to add the squares up each one is 3m squared I will upload it then.

Apparently the building space is actually bigger than that of Peter Pan's Flight at the Disney parks, so you could definitely fit a decent-size dark ride in there!

It’s not going to be a long dark ride, folk shouldn’t get their hopes up. That’s not to say it’s going to be bad, but the space does not accommodate a long ride period.

I just found two things out about the project. Firstly, TowersTimes has posted a picture of the layout, screenshotted from the making of video:

Not the longest of layouts by any means, but it looks like a pretty nice ride; maybe it could even be trackless based on that rendering?

Secondly, TowersStreet News now has a news article on the ride, including some of the other attractions in the area: https://towersstreet.com/news/2020/alton-towers-unveils-gangsta-granny-the-ride/

These include:
  • Raj's Shop (I assume this is the Toy Shop rethemed)
  • Regal Carousel (I assume this is a rethemed Galloper's Carousel, but I'm not entirely sure which book this is themed to)
  • Raj's Bouncy Bottom Burp (I assume this is Frog Hopper rethemed)
  • There are also more surprises in store according to Alton Towers (maybe a new 4D show?), as well as 4 Gangsta Granny themed rooms at the Alton Towers Hotel.
Sounding really good so far!

Looks alright, good on them investing in a ride system as well (looks a similar layout to the shooter at Lego Discovery Centre).

Bit concerned on capacity, but hopefully when Dungeons gets turfed out we can get a full blown ride of ridiculousness there.

Thoughts on the plan drawing above:
- the layout looks short, REALLY short. Shorter than Bench maybe? Peter Pan's flight travels over the scenes so fits more into its space

- the cars seem pretty big for the space available. As a result the ride seems to be almost all track with very little space for the 'show'. Could we be seeing lots of painted walls/2D props?

If the pic of the car is accurate then capacity should be fine: 8/car is decent assuming the dispatch interval isn't too long (which it shouldn't be as it looks like there's a separate offload platform).

Judging by the layout, the duration will be hardly mind-blowing; unless it crawls round slower than an omnimover to painstakingly admire the 2D cardboard cutouts and vinyl walls.

It is not going to be a trackless ride system.

It's great that we are getting a new dark ride, it's just a shame that the budget for it is so small.

I'm imagining this is going to be Room on the Broom style with a lot of 2D cut outs r

I love how they've used the old logo in the video :tearsofjoy:

From a glance at the plans shown in the video, I wouldn't be surprised if the vehicle stops in front of a curved screen, the type used on Street Mission, Snorri Touren etc, and will play a short video while the vehicle is stood still to make more use of the space.

Last edited: