• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[2024] Europa-Park General Discussion

Can you get a Traumatica Signature outside of Traumatica season? That's the golden question.

They really are late to the craft beer party aren’t they?

I’m definitely not counting the EP Pale, since it’s terrible.

I don't want to start a new topic for this, but I wanted to ask what everyone's favorite place for drinking inside the park is? I've only been once and so spent most of my time exploring and riding things, and then drinking at the hotel bars after, but not so much time stopping for a drink while in the park itself. I had a beer from a stand in Iceland (if I remember correctly...) and one at the end of the day at the Biergarten, but other than that didn't have the opportunity.

I don't want to start a new topic for this, but I wanted to ask what everyone's favorite place for drinking inside the park is? I've only been once and so spent most of my time exploring and riding things, and then drinking at the hotel bars after, but not so much time stopping for a drink while in the park itself. I had a beer from a stand in Iceland (if I remember correctly...) and one at the end of the day at the Biergarten, but other than that didn't have the opportunity.

Good question, there’s a few places:

- Magellan Lounge (when it reopens): a unique spot atop the deck of the sailing ship in Portugal. They do cocktail bowlen and there’s a gorgeous interior to the aft of the ship.

- Upstairs in O’Mackays (when it reopens): a cosy spot with its own bar and live music on certain days.

- Crocodile Bar: an old school interior like a cross between a tiki bar and rainforest cafe. They sell cocktails and there’s a thunderstorm effect which is quite cool.

- Bodega: a lovely terrace to people watch in Spain, with some Gipsy Kings playing in the background. You can get tapas, sangria and San Miguel.

- The street to the rear of Chez Marianne: you could be anywhere when you sit on this secluded and charming street, right next to the Elz flowing past. A true delight on a sunny day. A decent drink and cake selection in Chez Marianne too.

- Schloss Balthazar: again, a lovely place to sit next to the river on a sunny summer’s day. If you can catch the string quartet on the stage whilst you’re there it’s even more delightful. Another place where you wouldn’t believe you were in a theme park, it’s a stunning setting and the carafes on wine are reasonably priced.

There’s a few more, but those are my favourite.

I completely forgot, we did have a nice fruity cocktail at the Magellan Lounge. What a great view.

Thank you very much for the rest of the recommendations!

Even when it was closed we were allowed up for a drink and the staff delivered to us from downstairs.

Sticking with the beer theme…

Anyone been to the Roland Koch Lodge African Bar in Bell Rock? The sign on the ground floor has always said closed on my visits, which makes me want to go even more.

J

Only the once given the rarity of it opening, but it was well worth it. A cosy hidden secret.

In further fodder for my upcoming remake of Succession set in Rust, the ever-charming Michael Mack is once again getting busy on Twitter with the output of disgraced former Bild editor and right-wing conspiracy theorist, Julian Reichelt.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/203...-blijft-anti-overheidsberichten-promoten.html

I'm not saying inheriting a beloved multi-million euro/pound theme park empire by birth automatically qualifies you as a tosser, but it certainly seems to help...

Last edited:
Eugh.

If it’s not Six Flags being homophobic, it’s Disney supporting Don’t Say Gay politicians, or Mandy loving Boris, or Adventure Island inviting Nigel Farage for publicity shoots and now EP are saddling up with the far right.

I thought Disney were against "Don't Say Gay" and that's what landed them with issues?
Either way I get your point. Parks are business and by their very nature are ones that need a large and powerful investor. It's always alarming to consider their views don't match the impression the company gives out.

I thought Disney were against "Don't Say Gay" and that's what landed them with issues?

Originally Disney were donating funds to various Florida politicians that supported the bill. They also sent internal memos to cast members stating they wouldn’t challenge it which caused them lots of uproar internally.

They then did a u-turn and came out against it, so it was a giant mess.

Anyway, back to EP I guess.

Reactions: Tim
Oh Michael.. in the last couple of days he has even been liking anti-trans and Islam tweets by an account he follows. Few months back local press in Germany even reported on his sharing on a Querdenker podcast (Querdenken - translation 'lateral thinking’ - is an extreme right movement primarily against covid measures).

All in all of course the Macks are conservatives, their links to CDU are well known and they are rich businessmen. However Michael’s extreme views are quite concerning. Not to mention his public sharing of them damaging to the park’s image.

It’s an open secret in the park and Rust that he has always been a bit of w*nker and clashes a lot with the others in his family. There’s even been rumours his responsibilities/control have been decreased unofficially by Roland in the last couple years.
Nevertheless they really should try to rein in his twitter account.

I wouldn't expect that a company that charges 3.90 for a bottle of Coca Cola to be particularly progressive, but the Macks have always at least seemed smart. Roland kicked up a bit of a stink in an interview recently when he appeared to complain about workers seeming less willing to commit to shifts in the wake of COVID-19, but even he is self-aware enough to acknowledge that it's easier for him to remain passionate and enthusiastic about the park, what with it being his.

Presently, there seems to be a little more backlash towards EP and the Macks than I can recall since I first visited the park in 2005. It has been observed that the park and especially the resort is becoming more expensive than many of its core audience can afford, something that can only get worse given current emerging crises. Locally, they appear to be pushing their luck with the planned cable-car expansion to France, which triggered a small protest, as well as other issues involving traffic and planning.

Having just returned from three nights on-site, I'd still count it as one of my favourite experiences, just about worth the cost. But some of the more charming elements of Europa have faded, not just with personal familiarity, but with scale. I do think there's a risk that the empire is expanding with a ruthlessness that could burn certain fingers, especially with a potential winter close for Rulantica on the horizon, given the gas rationing Germany seems to be preparing for.

Incidentally, all the stuff I think the Mack are largely wasting their time with - YULLBE, MackMedia films - are driven by Michael, and I must say, almost entirely charmless crap.

Last edited:
I definitely agree about the VR obsession, although I do find the MackMedia films in the Magic Cinema to generally be quite good. You also can’t really complain about the advances Mack Rides have made under Michael either.

Whilst one may not agree with certain political opinions, I think we have to be pragmatic in separating the enjoyment of an attraction and the owner’s political opinions, even if it may not be the wisest business decision to express them on certain platforms.

Other than the proliferation of VR, I’m not sure I can name too much which has reduced the charm of the park. Maybe the removal of the stream next to Spices (but I understand that was a decision necessitated by traffic flow). What type of elements do you think are ding cham-wise?

I agree on the pricing, to an extent. Despite opinion to the contrary I never thought that EP was a good value place to visit (reasonable value maybe) and specifically for F&B pricing. Annual pass pricing has certainly tracked well in front of inflation too. The current pricing is not something that would stop me from visiting because I think the overall product is very good - although it does get to a point where you consider a B&B rather than the resort hotel for example.