• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

[20XX]: Rulantica Monorail

CSLKenny

TS Member
So the long discussed monorail connection between between the EP hotels and Rulantica/Kronasar is moving a step closer. The local authority are meeting to discuss the project next week.

Europa-Park wants to connect its amusement park with its Rulantica water park at the other end of the village by means of a transport system for guests. The municipal council is now faced with a decision on the preparation of a suitable development plan.

As the Badische Zeitung reports, the town council of Rust will decide on October 11, 2021 on the establishment of the development plan. Europa-Park already expressed plans in 2019 to want to connect the water park with the amusement park. Rulantica is around 1.5 kilometers from the main entrance to Europa-Park.

So far, buses have been running between the two locations.

The current plans for Europa-Park, which are to be decided on by the local council, provide for an elevated railway four to five meters high. The route should lead from the “Krønasår” hotel at the water park to the “El Andaluz” hotel at the amusement park and will not run over residential buildings, but rather over community-owned areas along the county road and the outer ring.

When Europa-Park announced plans for a transport system between the amusement park and the water park in 2019, a system from the manufacturer Mack Rides from its own group of companies was under discussion. "We are working with Mack Rides on a system that will hopefully transport guests from the hotel to the park as if by monorail," explained Michael Mack, Managing Director of Europa-Park.
Source

This could be the best investment of the decade if it works out. Connecting the Rulantica area to the rest of the resort is a huge deal.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

It’s definitely needed, for a start as much as i liked kronosar it felt a chore to get between that hotel and the park, a monorail system should make the resort feel a bit more connected.

This newspaper article with an interview of the mayor of Rust reveals there is more to this project than just a link between the resort halves/replacing the current shuttle bus.

Europa-Park is planning to build an elevated railway between the water world and the amusement park. While those responsible are still holding back on details, the mayor speaks of "an important step" to relieve the Rust traffic.

Cars parked on the green meadow and wildly parked in the village, plus long traffic jams on the access roads - the Rusters have been living with that for a long time. To prevent a traffic collapse - caused by thousands of tourists every day - the municipality and Europa-Park launched a joint "master plan" a few years ago. Now it is time to implement it.
An elevated railway is to be built on the southern edge of the village, which will connect the Rulantica water world with the leisure park and the hotel resort. Mayor Kai-Achim Klare looks forward to the project "with great joy", as he said on Friday when asked by LZ: "This will be the backbone of a new transport infrastructure that will bring the desired relief." Visitors are currently dependent on cars and buses when commuting between the individual parking facilities.
The elevated train should run about four to five meters above the ground and be closed to the public, i.e. reserved for guests of Europa-Park. The route - from the Rulantica site to the Hotel El Andaluz - is around one and a half kilometers. With reference to the ongoing procedure, Europa-Park initially did not want to disclose further details on request, such as a possible start of construction, costs and capacity. City hall chief Klare emphasized, however, that the train, which is likely to be designed in a similar way, will be on the way "regularly in both directions during the day".

New means of transport should avoid traffic jams and long waiting times
As part of the "Master Plan Traffic" of the park and community, the focus was originally on creating additional parking spaces and parking decks. Obviously there has been a rethink. Klare: "With the elevated railway, we are creating a network that may make further construction in the area and in height superfluous." The hope: the new means of transport will already sufficiently equalize traffic and thus avoid traffic jams and long waiting times on the streets. As an example, the town hall chief cites the not infrequently uneven distribution within the existing infrastructure: while the large car park at the amusement park is overcrowded, there is often still free space on the water world. "Thanks to the shorter routes, it could be reallocated in the future, so to speak."
The area on which the elevated railway is planned extends over two districts. In a first step, the Rust municipal council should give its okay at its meeting on October 11th and initiate a corresponding change in the development plan. Then the tourism association, to which the neighboring municipality of Ringsheim also belongs, deals with the topic.

For Klare, the matter is already clear: "The project basically only promises advantages." One of them: "Theoretically, the transport system can be expanded as required and additional stops can be added." In the past there were always mind games to create a direct connection from the park resort to the autobahn, or even to the Ringsheim train station. It is currently being made "Europa-Park-fit".

Not all cable cars are the same. Europa-Park once planned the latter from Rust to Alsace, but did not take into account the resistance of nature conservationists. They heavily criticized a possible crossing of the dewfall on the German side and the Ile de Rhinau on the French side and thus ensured that the project was put on hold shortly after it became known at the end of 2018.
Source

I think Europa really needs this and extending to Ringsheim station would only help increase attendance at a park that is constantly growing and creating the next insane thing.

That is excellent news! And I look forward to the day when there is a monorail track above every street in Rust! :p

Great news and quite badly needed to link the hotels up into what feels more like one resort, rather than Kronasar being the pretty but currently isolated cousin.

I wonder what the park station may look like. I know it’s intended to link up to around El Andaluz, but are we likely to see an interchange with the EP Express (is there even room given the current station’s position right next to the road?). I like the idea of easily being able to reach Rulantica from say Deutsche Allee, with a properly integrated transportation system, rather than jumping from monorail to a slightly clunky shuttle bus.

I wonder why the built it so far away. Surely there was land closer to the main care parks or across from Lidl. Unless this land (if owned by Mack) is being kept for something else.

I wonder why the built it so far away. Surely there was land closer to the main care parks or across from Lidl. Unless this land (if owned by Mack) is being kept for something else.

Whilst Rust has a very close relationship with Europa-Park, they also have some very specific zoning laws for the town. I doubt they’ll allow further expansion too close to the village, especially after they’ve already started cracking down on new guesthouse accommodation to try and ensure there’s enough residential housing. Remember as much as Europa-Park needs to grow, so does Rust as a town.

Moving the resort parts like Rulantica and Kronosar further back from Rust helps take the traffic away from the local roads, as they don’t get into the town itself. Eventually (and this is a long time in the future), you’ll likely see car parks moved back toward the motorway, and the monorail expanded to cover that and the station as mentioned in the article. The car park land could then perhaps be used for park expansion further down the line.

Rust has posted one of the planning documents for the new monorail covering the section land needed between the EP hotels and Lidl/Edeka supermarkets. As previously mentioned it runs primarily over/beside the main road. Interestingly beside Bell Rock's parking the marked space heads 'more inland'. Perhaps an additional station at Bell Rock? (the shuttle buses this monorail replaces do stop there after all too)

index.php

Resolution of the development plan "Transport system"

In a public meeting on October 11, 2021, the council of the community of Rust decided to draw up the "Transport System" development plan on the basis of Section 2, Paragraph 1 of the Building Code.

The delimitation of the development plan "transport system" is shown in the overview plan.
The early participation of the public in accordance with Section 3 (1) of the BauGB is carried out in the form of an information event.

Goals and purposes of planning:
The area of application of the B-Plan covers approx. 1.28 hectares, is located on the southern outskirts of Rust, north of Europa-Park-Straße, K 5349 and borders on Franz-Sales-Straße in the east and extends to the parking deck in the west Hotel Santa Isabel.

The development plan overlays the legally binding development plans amendment / extension in small sub-areas. "Oberfeld / Gewerbegebiet", "Oberfeld Gewerbegebiet II" - 1st amendment, "Elzwiesen" and "Storettenstrasse II".

When the statutes of the "Transport System" development plan come into force, the legally binding development plans in the superimposed areas will be changed accordingly.

With the preparation of the B-Plan, the legal planning requirements for the realization of a non-public transport system from Rulantica to the Hotel El Andaluz are to be created. With the realization of this elevated railway at a height of approx. 4 - 5 m, passengers are to be transported between the Rulantica water park and Europa Park for their guests, which will help relieve individual traffic in Rust.

The planning area is shown in the legally effective 4th amendment of the FNP of VVG Ettenheim as a commercial building area or special building area "leisure park".

Reference is made to the notice on the official announcement board of the community of Rust in the period from October 22nd, 2021 to October 28th, 2021 inclusive.
https://www.rust.de/de-de/neues-aus...bebauungsplan-transportsystem-2021-10-21-2081

Interesting. The layout looks like a shuttle, rather than a loop system. It also suggests there’s not going to be a real interchange with the EP Express as the El Andaluz stop is at the back of the car park away from the other monorail, which inevitably means done car park reconfiguration.

The other change will be how the hotel entrance is now used by more park guests. I wonder whether this may mean some tweaks to its layout/useage.

I would have thought a station would have been in front of Colosseo for an interchange with the normal system via the subway. That plan looks twin tracked so a pair of units working shuttle would make sense. I imagine if and when they expand it might become a loop. Park end looks like an island centre platform with a head shunt possibly?

The EP Express is from Roll and the new monorail is from Mack. So i can't see how these two systems could interchange.

As long as the Mack system was built to the same gauge and used the same power system, they can share tracks. Monorails aren't exactly some impossible systems to engineer with, a bit like re-training a coaster.

My suggestion was to have one station one side of the road outside Colosseo and the other one other side of the road where it is now allowing guests to walk the tunnel and either enter via hotel entrance or take the existing EP Express to Spain/Greece/Morrisons whatever.

It needs to be a smaller scale of Epcot/Ticket Centre/MK. Near Colosseo you can have an interchange.

Of course, most hotel guests enter by Colosseo anyway.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk