• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

29th August Trip Report

willb

TS Member
SPOILERS!!!!!

Hello All,

It's been a long time since I've posted anything about the towers on here, and having just been for the first time in 7 years, I thought I would post me trip report.

Monorail
So the day starts, as always, with the trip on the monorail. From memories as a child, this always built the tension and excitement, it really made you feel like you were travelling somewhere special.

Now I must admit, I never thought this as a kid, but the building for the monorail look drab and boring, something needs to be done. Also, although the outside of the monorails looks good, inside, they need a real clean up!

Th13teen
Smiler was down in the morning, much to the dismay of many a ert holder, so we decided to try the other ride we haven't tried yet and queued there until opening time.

I wasn't expecting much from this ride after all the hype being squashed on many a ride report. The first big surprise was how much air time you get off the back on the first few drops, really good fun. I would have loved a bit more of the outside section, but what there was of it was enjoyable. The indoor section is so well done, very slick and quick. My wife didn't have a clue what happens and it really shocked her.

This is a perfect transition ride for families. Loved it, we both left with a big grin.

Rita
We queued about 15 mins for Rita, which was great considering the time I queued last time I was here!

Great ride, really enjoy the launch and air time, wish the end wasn't to abrupt, but still a great fun ride.

Controversially, I think the whole area looks great, and in fact thought the park looked a million times better than our previous visit.

The Smiler
Right, the one we were looking forward to.

On first impressions, it looks outstanding. Very intimidating and I think the whole brand is fantastic. I don't see the problem with the queue line, it's always got a great view and along with the music, really hypes you up for the ride.

We rode the smiler twice, this is my opinion on the first.

Dull, very dull. I found the ride to be very monotone, it's a constant weak force, and where you expect some punch in the elements, it fails to deliver any sort of variation. Fun, but lacking. Even the bunny hops were disappointing.

Oblivion
Not much needs saying about this ride, it's perfect. Packs a huge punch, does the job and makes you want to ride it over and over, genius. 5 min queue all day, great staff.

Nemesis
Again, just brilliant. A little rougher than I remember, but hey, it's getting on a bit! Love this ride to bits, the only way I could love it more is if the water was running red again!

Air
Both me and my wife find this ride extremely boring, after the first drop, there is just nothing to it at all. This visit however has changed my opinions, it seemed a lot faster than usual and both of us came off looking surprised! Great experience and the second pleasant surprise of the day!

Ripsaw
I love these rides, great to be on and great to watch! It always gathers a crowd of onlookers waiting to see they're loved ones get soaked!

Didn't quite work out for us though, started a really mental sequence which then just rocked itself back to position. Staff gathered and talked and set it off again... Same thing happened and we we're let off. Disappointing.

It's a ride that is sadly starting to show and sound it's age.

Burger Kitchen
Fries good, burgers poor... Nuff said!

Sub-Terra
Neither of us are fans of these sorts of ride, but decided to give it a go due to the short wait and the fact it's new.

Actors around the baggage hold were poor, they had obviously tired of their day even though it was only 2pm.

The lifts down we're quite effective and really fooled a lot of people including my wife. Inside the chamber is great, looks fantastic and the tension that is built up is quite something. I love the fact that if you don't drop first you can hear the other towers screaming!

Back pokers scared the bejesus out of me, forgot about them! Leg ticklers, naff.

The lift to the exit is comical, even though it did seem to have quite a few people in the panics. The main actor at the end was great and really made people jump.

Overall a very fun attraction, drop could be bigger and more forceful but the build up to it is fantastic.

Other rides....
Flume, mine train and spinball. All great fun! For the first time in a few visits, I felt the magic again of Alton Towers. The park looked tidy, everyone was having a great time, and the rides were working brilliantly.

Smiler..take 2
Now much later in the day and after some rain, this ride had become something completely different.

The speed was greatly increased and the forces that we're missing were now present! We were both shocked and blown away by the intensity of the ride. The only thing that slightly ruined it for me was the first trim on the bunny hop completely killing the insane pace...

I've never known a ride to change so much during the day... Is this normal for the smiler?

Oh, and the jolt.... Yeah, that's definitely there!

Conclusion
Best visit I've had to alton towers. It was busy enough to spread the day out and build atmosphere but not so busy as to ruin the day.

Staff were friendly and happy, new rides were fantastic.

I can see a massive improvement over 7 years ago when the park looked tatty and tired. We both left feeling we had a perfect day.

Finished of course with fresh donuts!

Will

Glad you had a great day!

When you say that you don't see any problem with the Smiler queue, you also say that you rode it twice. I can only gather from this information that you weren't queuing for long. How long were you queueing for, because when you're queueing a while, the queue is NOT nice to stand and wait in!

First time I queued for 1:20 and the second just for the hour.

It just doesn't bother me much, plenty to look at. And the claustrophobic element adds to the building of excitement.

The station platform itself however, is extremely dull!

You must be one of the only TST-ers around who actually enjoys The Smiler queue, especially already waiting 80 mins, then prepared to wait another 60! :p

To be fair I don't mind the queue, of course its not the best but at least there is plenty to look at above you, compared to being in a queue like Rita, which is horrible in all its cattlepens. The only time I really hate the Smiler queue is when it has been raining and you need to get your wellies out!