• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

A Brief History of Inverting Lap Bars

Tim

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Air / Blue Fire
This is a spin off from the recent Lap Bar or Over The Shoulder Restraint (OTSR) debate that is going on in the Secret Weapon 7 topic. I thought a little history lesson might be revealing but didn’t want to drag that topic too far off topic.

Before I start I should note that I count a lap bar as any type of restraint that holds you by your lap. It can come over your head or from the side and in most cases won’t even be a bar but it’s simpler if I just call them lap bars. Ok? Then I’ll begin:

A Brief History of Inverting Lap Bars

Let’s start with the first modern inverting Roller Coasters in the 1970s. I have no doubt there were rides with lap bar inversions before these but let’s be honest they were probably death machines. So in 1975 Arrow built the first modern inversion and the first roller coaster to invert twice. Called Corkscrew the rides signature element was a double corkscrew (I know you must be shocked). It used OTSRs.

In 1976 Schwarzkopf (and Intamin) opened the Great American Revolution at Six Flags Magic Mountain. It had the first modern vertical loop and opened with lap bars:

1o0taj8f73k0m8e042g004.jpg

This was a trend that Schwarzkopf maintained for quite a while until incidence like this happened:

article-1271844-096BF547000005DC-237_634x503.jpg

Obviously this was a more recent event but I can’t find the famous old picture of a ride stuck upside down on its loop, so this recent example will have to do.

Parks got scared and got worried if the same thing could happen to them. Deming that Schwarzkopf very basic lap bar wouldn't be able to comfortably hold guests if this occurred most of them were phased out. Here's a more recent image of the Revolution, now with OTSR:

hk6ek03o80g8002jrad1ss.jpg

Jump forward to the year 2000 and it had become accepted knowledge that to go upside down you needed an OTSR. There were a few exceptions such as Premier Rides lap bar LIM coasters but not many.
However there were two companies that were actively trying to promote new restraint designs; S&S and Maurer Söhne. S&S were developing two new rides; the Screamin' Swing and the Fly Swat (or as we know them Rush and Slammer at Thorpe Park). Both were to have a new type of restraint with the intention of keeping it minimalistic. In the case of the Fly Swat it included half an OTSR in case the ride stalled mid rotation. Maurer Söhne went for something completely different with the X-Car. Supposedly the do anything car type which could actually hold riders upside down:

x_car7.jpg

Neither design was very good. They were physically capable but not very comfortable. The X-Car in particular was let down by a lack of consideration towards ergonomics meaning that while it could hold someone upside down it wouldn’t be very comfortable.

It wasn’t until the late 2000’s that someone got the design right. But it wasn’t due to a manufacturer’s desire to create something different but a parks refusal to use OTSRs. I refer of course to Europa Park.
The park only had one thrill coaster, they wanted another and they wanted a looping ride. But they refused to use OTSRs. There are several reasons as to why (there’s a good First Drop article on the matter but I can’t seem to find it) but in part it was because the park owners Mack disliked anything that removed the freedom of the riding experience.
So they approached B&M, who had made their other thrill coasters but they were unwilling to alter their designs. The other manufactures said much the same and those that could offer the restraints they wanted produced far too low throughput rides for Europa Parks high standard. So they did what no other park could and built it themselves. The result should have been a disaster but instead we got Blue Fire:

4g702md9k7jhqhda61vl80.jpg

^ Best Inversion ever?

In the past 3 years since then every major manufacturer has started developing their own lap bar rides. Premier Rides instantly returned with Sky Rocket. Gerstlauer followed with Dare Devil Dive and of course Iron Shark; the new classic Euro-Fighter design. B&M created the Wing Coaster and Vekoma introduce their new over the shoulder restraints, both have more in conmen with Blue Fires leg clamp design than an OTSR despite having vest sections. Even Intamin (who have spent the last 7 years refusing to build any big ride with lap bars) opened Lex Luthor: Drop of Doom and Skyrush with lap bars.

So there you have it. A very simplified version of the looping lap bars history to date.

Feel free to add more examples and your own thoughts. I made this fairly quickly based on my own understanding so other important examples may be missing.

Fantastic post, but I would just like to add that the first of Intamin's accelerator coasters (Top Thrill Dragster and Xcelerator) had lap bars. Considering the nature of these, with the launch and vertical drop, these two are quite significant. However, the rest of the accelerator's have been built with those rubbish OTSR's, which on rides such as Rita, is completely unnecessary.

Also, I've heard that the B&M hyper restraints are good, so would this be a good example of the first good modern restraints. I'm aware they're not inverting coasters, but still they have been said to be quite comfortable.

Excellent article there Tim, some really great research! Really enjoyed it. :D

Thanks so much!

Is this the image you mean?

KXtGF.jpg

It's Sirocco (now Turbine) at Walibi Belgium when it stalled.

Thanks folks :D

Nick said:
Fantastic post, but I would just like to add that the first of Intamin's accelerator coasters (Top Thrill Dragster and Xcelerator) had lap bars. Considering the nature of these, with the launch and vertical drop, these two are quite significant. However, the rest of the accelerator's have been built with those rubbish OTSR's, which on rides such as Rita, is completely unnecessary.

I did hint at this with my comment about Intamin but I'm glad you mentioned it properly. This was originally going to be a post in the SW7 topic so that little bit was cut to save space before I decided to post it as a full article anyway. Intamin’s restraint history has been quite bizarre. Apparently they used to have some of the best in the business. But around 2005 they started building all their major rides with the standard over the shoulder ones found on Rita. I don't need to tell you what everyone thinks of them. In the last few years they've been experimenting again but I've heard mixed reviews about their newer designs.

Nick said:
Also, I've heard that the B&M hyper restraints are good, so would this be a good example of the first good modern restraints. I'm aware they're not inverting coasters, but still they have been said to be quite comfortable.

Yes they are. In fact they are even better than Blue Fire's. I think they are called Clamshell restraints (at least that's what I've heard people call them). The only reason I haven’t mentioned them is because they've never been used on an inverting roller coaster. At a guess I'd say they could be used for one but B&M always like to make their rides extra secure. Maybe we will see them used at some point now that lap bars are becoming more popular.

Sam said:
Excellent article there Tim, some really great research! Really enjoyed it. :D

Thanks so much!

Is this the image you mean?

KXtGF.jpg

It's Sirocco (now Turbine) at Walibi Belgium when it stalled.

No it wasn't but that is even better :)

The one I had in mind was one of the early Arrow or Vekoma rides but this has a lap bar and so is a much better example of why parks were worried.

Am I right in thinking that Turbine uses a flywheel launch rather than the weight drop system that earlier models used? And wasn't it something to do with a power faliure that meant the flywheel didn't have enough energy to get the train round the loop?
Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I think you're going along the right lines with that theory Diogo. I'm sure Turbine does use the flywheel system instead of the weight drop, which was probably the reason this thing was able to happen.

See, I can understand why so many parks got a bit edgy with these accidents happening and therefore try to move away from inverting lapbars, but at the same time technology has moved on so much now that we could design failsafes to prevent such incidents from happening if the train isn't getting up to speed after the launch.

Ironically Turbine is set to reopen with new Gerstlaurer trains next year! What's the odds they will have OTSRs? :p

Surely the first modern lap bar restraint would have been from the b&m flying coaster? Air's restraints are essentially a lap bar as they primarily hold you in by your waist and upper legs, with the vest being there for comfort, and has been used on flying coasters for 7 years before blue fire opened.

A great report, though because of great efforts by Intamin and British Rail (not together, that would only end in a massacre) it's almost a shame this is limited to non-inverting rides.

For example:

Well known and respected factual source said:
The first incarnation of the ultimate as a 'ride' used Over The Shoulder Restraints (OTSRs). However, it was found that these made riders feel safe, and they were quickly replaced with chewed dog toys masquerading as lap bars.

Succinctly illustrating your point that over the shoulder restraints exist only for giving the illusion of safety , and ride experiences are infinitely improved when replaced with lap bars, or chewed dog toys.

Adam said:
Josh said:
Air's restraints are essentially a lap bar

Eh? :p

Take away the vest, and it is just a lap bar. The main part of the restraint is around your waist and upper legs, and that for me qualifies it as being an over-the-shoulder lap bar.

Actually Josh has a point. The Flying Coasters restraints are much more like a lap bar than an OTSR. But I'd probably class Flying Coaster restraints as their own category. The key difference is that they are designed to hold you comfortable for a long section of time on either your front or your back. This means that when you are on your front what you'd class as the restraint is actually your seat because it is the part you are sitting laying on.
I'd also say that if you put a flying coaster restraint on any normal coaster it would be classed as excessive.
But it is definitely debatable.

Josh said:
...and has been used on flying coasters for 7 years before blue fire opened.

I just thought I'd note that I'm sure there were other good lap bars before Blue Fire came along. However if I was to chose a ride that kick started the recent new generation of lap bars I'd guess it was Blue Fire. When a company's first ever thrill coaster manages to rank near the top of all the well respected coaster polls then the competition starts taking notes. The same happened when B&M invented the Inverted Coaster. Its success meant that most company's started building their own versions. And the SLCs have never stopped coming :p

Tim said:
Actually Josh has a point. The Flying Coasters restraints are much more like a lap bar than an OTSR. But I'd probably class Flying Coaster restraints as their own category. The key difference is that they are designed to hold you comfortable for a long section of time on either your front or your back.

They are?

I might be a minority here, but I find them horrid. AIR and Comfort, are not two words I assign next to each other. I take that point also mind you.

As for the OP Tim I find that fascinating! It's strange though, because as you say, much is the illusion of safety, yet once flying round Nemmys twists and turns, I can enjoy the experience of the ride more because of how comfortable you are, and I like the double lock restraints on it.

Anyway, I don't really know enough to make seriously informed comments on here, but wanted to thank you for the OP.

TheMan said:
I might be a minority here, but I find them horrid. AIR and Comfort, are not two words I assign next to each other. I take that point also mind you.

Well they try :p
Me personally I find them as comfortable as it's possible to be when lying on a roller coaster in that position. Admittedly it was a lot more comfortable when I first rode it and some areas of the body were slightly less sensitive than they are now...

Your comment about Nemesis also reminded me of something. Although I may seem to be ranting about lap bars superiority over OTSR there is nothing especially wrong with them on certain types of ride. On both Nemesis and Oblivion I barely notice them at all. In fact Oblivion is a good example of one ride I'd rather have an OTSR (or at the very least something like The Swarms vest section). They do however restrict certain types of motion which for some rides can be painful. Rita is a good example of a ride that would be so much better without those silly vest sections. Whenever I ride it I have to brace around the first corner to stop my neck colliding with the vest and it really throws me out of the riding experience.

I suppose the moral is the best restraints do their job without you even noticing they are there.

I just thought I'd note that I'm sure there were other good lap bars before Blue Fire came along. However if I was to chose a ride that kick started the recent new generation of lap bars I'd guess it was Blue Fire. When a company's first ever thrill coaster manages to rank near the top of all the well respected coaster polls then the competition starts taking notes. The same happened when B&M invented the Inverted Coaster. Its success meant that most company's started building their own versions. And the SLCs have never stopped coming :p

Yeah actually I would agree with that too, since blue fire opened there have been a lot more over-the-shoulder lap bar designs so it makes sense that it kick-started the craze. :)