• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Adventure Island: General Discussion

Sam

TS Member
Spotted on Screamscape this morning, from UK Park News. They've finally opened the home-made flat ride they were promising a few years back.

UK Park News said:
New “World First” Thrill Ride Opens at Adventure Island

Adventure Island (Southend) has announced that they have now opened the Time Machine which is described as “unique new ride – that is certainly not for the faint hearted”

“The Time Machine is a high intensity, high speed ride experience that is guaranteed leave you breathless – and just a little bit dizzy.

The attraction seats 16 people and delivers an experience of around 3.7g in the 90 second ride that sees the passenger hanging upside down for much of the time. 27,000 LED bulbs illuminate the thrilling ride.

The white knuckle ride has been completely designed and constructed by the team at Adventure Island. This means the Time Machine is a totally unique ride – a world first for the UK’s Number 1 free admission Fun Park. The park claims it would cost around £3/4 million to purchase a similar ride.

Adventure Island General Manager Robert Roberts is man who invented the Time Machine said “I wanted to create something that would be a really intense and totally unique thrill experience. The movement – with each car independently rotating as the ride spins round at very high speed – is unlike any other ride in the world. We’re delighted we’ve been able to complete all our rigorous safety checks and get it open in time for our Half Term visitors to enjoy.”

Adventure Island Executive Chairman Philip Miller said “We are really lucky to have a team that design and build our wonderful rides here on site – very few parks have that. It means the experience we are able to offer our visitors at Adventure Island is totally unique.”

Adventure Island is open daily during October half term – with half price wrist bands from 6pm.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQI4o-JzVFk[/youtube]

I... I mean... well... I'm not even sure what's going on here. I just don't understand why you'd build a whole new ride yourself, rather than get KMG to do it. Surely it can't be cheaper, given that it's not even a clone of an existing ride...?

It certainly looks unique, but whether it rides well is a different question. It's not even clear what's actually happening. Has anyone ridden it yet? :)

That looks amazing! :p I think it's great that a little park has built their own ride and the fact that it works (at the moment) is amazing! :p

Besides the colour scheme and the LED's, it looks decent!

The park is now closed until the 2nd Feb next year so it'll be a good while before anyone else gets a go, shame as it's only up the road from me.

I love that they build their own rides, this isn't the first and a couple of the other in house builds ride rather well even if they are more kiddie ones. This looks crazy fast and seems to twist into some unusual positions, I can't think of anything quite like it.

Is it cheaper for them to do this? Maybe, but not substantially so. But it is better value - this small park can now market themselves with a completely unique flat, something they can't do with an off the shelf KMG.

Haha, it'd be funny if was the Frankenstein's Monster of flat rides! :p

That looks tragic. Paracetamol at the ready!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That is everything I don't look for in a good ride.

Not my scene!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Time machine is an amazing worlds first I have been on it a couple of times it's quite compact because when you come off the ride you feel very paralysed have not chucked up on it hopefully going to tomorrow it's the best ride at the park.

My local park known to some as adventure island or pans. Anyway the echo have published an article about the planning permissions that have recently been submitted to the council:

We can confirm that the park has been looking closely at getting a huge Ferris wheel and or a very tall starflyer. The plans were originally submitted together in one application but this was not preceded by the council and have been put in separately.

Whilst they are separate applications it appears both attractions would fit next to each other in the proposed locations- which is the current home of the go karts. Interestingly the plans do not show the go karts or scorpion which is a shame. Adventure island would expect the go karts to stay operational because its a paying attraction so it will be covered either by a platform for these 2 new rides to sit on the future of scorpion is unclear.

The planning application mentions the Starflyer would be manufactured by Funtime who are responsible for several starflyers worldwide including the sky screamer at six flags fiesta Texas. There is no apparent manufacturer for the big wheel except for Brighton as a similar attraction.

Personally I would like the star flyer because I have not been on one of them and if I wanted to I would just go to London to ride the London eye this is the speculation forum enjoy.

Jj23w

You can now vote for the name of the park's new kiddie drop ride.

I'm voting for Mast Blast, I urge you all to vote for it. ;)

I think the term "theme park" is a bit generous. It's a seaside funfair at best.

I'm really not a fan of this place and I agree that it's no more than a glorified funfair. It doesn't even have the same charm as other seaside amusement parks. It's just brash, tacky and lacking in atmosphere. BPB, Great Yarmouth PB and Dreamland Margate are leagues ahead when it comes to seaside parks if you ask me.

BPB as a park is far less tacky and much better quality overall than Adventure Island. It has good quality rides many of which are of historical interest, sculpture gardens and nice seating areas, yes ok it has some rubbish too, seasides by their very nature are tacky. All Adventure Island have though is a load of cheap looking fairground rides, "plasticy" looking brightly coloured rubbish an a third rate Eurofighter. At least BPB, Yarmoth and Dreamland have some interesting heritage and rides which are more permanent looking. Adventure Island has none of this and just screams TAT from its every depressing auraphis. God I hate that place!

Are we really saying that Blackpool isn't tacky?

Its the tackiest seaside of them all!
BPB isn't tacky though, and the promenade has had a lot of money spent on it in recent years.

I would like to visit Adventure Island, it looks like it has a decent selection of flats and Rage looks good.

Adventure Islands biggest problem is space. They are land locked and have no opportunity to expand beyond their boundary. Every section of land is used to its maximum. They didn't have an arcade, so they dismantled a coaster, built an arcade and then put the coaster on top of it.

I personally like Adventure Island and admire what they have achieved in such a small space. It reminds me of a mini Blackpool Pleasure Beach from the 80's when rides were built on top of rides.

The biggest positive for the park is its location. Slap bang in the middle of the town, whereas this is the Pleasure Beach's downfall in that its a fair distance from the town centre.