• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers controlling the rain?

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Is Wastelands Penitentiary (Tulleys Shocktober Fest) a ride? If not, my favourite ride is Nemesis.
In 2007, it was first proposed that Alton Towers was going to make the theme park rain-free by using the same techniques as in the 2008 Beijing Olympics. You can use this as an information dump for anything related to this. I think I have a decent understanding of this and why it wasn't implemented, but there will still be a lot of info other people know about this that I don't.

It was.
Cloud seeding is generally expensive and not that effective.
Different stuff can be used to seed the rain, to make it fall in the west on the prevailing winds before hitting the Towers area.
Cobblers.

I apologise for this thread. I didn't realise that this was a publicity stunt before now.

Interestingly weather modification is not illegal unless used in warfare in which case it's banned by the 1977 environmental modification convention (after the US military extended monsoon season in Vietnam with operation Popeye).