• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers offers 3 free iOS games to park visitors

Joel

TS Technical Admin
Favourite Ride
Closed season on TST
From TowersStreet news:

Alton Towers has revealed another marketing offer for visitors to the park - and this time its in the form of 3 free games for iPhone and iPad users!

The three games being offerred - KooZac, Lara Croft: Guardian of the Light and SolaRola - are developed by Square Enix, and this latest offer suggests the park have rather unusually teamed up with them to offer the games to visitors for free.

The promotion is available from the 20th August 2012 until the 4th November 2012 for all guests to the park with iPhones or iPads, however there are no details of how exactly you redeem the offer when you're on park, but details are likely to be available when users connect to the currently free park wide wifi offered by The Cloud, which is being promoted alongside the games offer. The terms and conditions also appear to state that a standard text message cost will be involved, along with a promotional code to redeem the game from the Apple App Store.

The move has already begin to upset a few customers of the popular Android based handset devices who are not able to claim the games which are for the iOS platform only.

Details of the offer can be found at the Alton Towers website at http://www.altontowers.com/special-offers/free-games/

I mean... WTF? This is just random now... a deal with Square Enix? :-\

http://www.altontowers.com/special-offers/free-games/

You don't think that they're developing a mobile game for Alton, do you?

Pity it's only for Apple, as I'm on Android...

At first this seems to make no sense... However it's quite a good idea in terms of getting people to know about the WiFi service that's available now. While I'd rather this was some kind of Alton Towers game and that it was available equally to iOS and Android users, if marketed in the right way (e.g. 'bored in the queue? Download this...) it could be quite a neat idea.

Longy said:
You don't think that they're developing a mobile game for Alton, do you?

I doubt it. 'My Alton Towers' was unsuccessful and did not hit off the ground with the public, I've heard the Alton Towers app equally is not that popular. Hopefully with free wifi now the Alton Towers app will be more popular although given the past attempts at creating games about Alton Towers I doubt they will be willing to try it again for a good while.

This offer with three games seems a bit random. But I suppose they have just done it to advertise the free wifi more and to get Alton Towers being talked about. People love the word 'free' too so it works.

Wow, this so makes up for cutting hours and upping prices.

I see the 'distraction' arm of the marketing department are firing on all cylinders.

Square Enix of all developers... interesting. There not even the best iOS developer and are not well known to the GP unlike SEGA into which it would of been more logical due to the SEGA sponsorship.

Does this mean that Squeenix are sponsors now and will be on the Scarefest map as sponsors or at least a "Special Thanks" mention. A odd time to do it too as we approach some of the quietest times of the year and with less hours on the park to get the app! But nonetheless as a gamer I love this and will certainly be using it when I visit the park next week but the choice of the gamers surely are random. Wouldn't Lara Croft'd be better at Chessie with Tomb Blaster?

This doesn't fit in with Towers at all, yes maybe if the Towers rethemed Adventure Land into a retro gaming area, but other than that this is totally random and yes it is nice I'm happy for it but confused and slightly worried that something this random is for publicity.

If it was a Final Fantasy port, real Squeenix fans would visit Towers like SEGA fans did with SS but if this is what they are trying to do here, well it won't work this time. But it is a nice touch however peculiar. Well that's Towers for ya'.