• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Alton Towers Resort to host UK Coach Rally & UK Coach Awards

Aly

TS Member
Just read the following article in the latest edition of Bus and Coach Buyer which confirms the 2013 UK Coach Rally & UK Coach Awards will be held at the Alton Towers Resort on Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April.

"Shooting from zero to 60mph in 2.5-seconds on Rita, dropping vertically into a hole on Oblivion, having my senses spookily deceived on Hex and descending into the unknown on TH13TEEN – the terrors I go through researching articles for Bus & Coach Buyer readers. Yup, I loved every minute and next April I’ll be back to check out Nemesis, Air, and a fantastic new £18m rollercoaster ride still known only by its project name of Secret Weapon 7 because the UK Coach Rally is going to Alton Towers Resort. It’s the farthest north the UK Coach Rally has ever ventured as it unites with the UK Coach Awards to create a new weekend experience that will have something for
everyone including the kids.

OK, so I wasn’t entirely sure the cast dodos on the stairway balustrades as we entered the
Alton Towers Conference Centre set the right tone for news of an event that has had more than its fair share of ups and downs in recent years, but the rally does need something inspirational doing if it is to ensure that it doesn’t go the way of said extinct bird. I reckon UK Coach Rally Chairman, Steve Telling, has come up with a stroke of brilliance in teaming up with the country’s leading theme park for its new venue. Peterborough Showground, which has been home to the event for the past three years since it left Brighton, was great as a rally site but the location simply didn’t deliver on the all important ‘will my wife and kids want to come along too?’ factor. Alton Towers Resort certainly answers this providing not only a good rally site but all the appeal of the country’s number one short break attraction.

Scheduled to take place over the weekend of 20/21 April 2013, it is hoped that the venue
nearer the centre of the country will make it easier for operators from throughout the UK to attend, attracting new competitors as well as retaining the stalwarts. Stephen Telling commented, ‘Moving these two prestigious events to Alton Towers Resort reinforces the important relationship between coach operators and popular coaching destinations. It will provide a
unique showcase for coaching and tourism in Britain.’ The 500-acre site is not only the UK’s number one theme park, it has two hotels offering a total of 391 bedrooms, an award winning conference centre, a spa, a water park, and an ‘extraordinary’ golf park. Its reputation has built steadily, especially since 1980 when the first double loop roller coaster ride, ‘The Corkscrew’ was built. It is now part of the Merlin Entertainments Group which is second only to Disney worldwide. The Rally itself will take place on the coach park which has a 90 vehicle capacity. Suitable areas have been identified for the driving tests, an outside exhibition area, the parking of vehicles and the awards ceremonies. All elements currently included in the rally will continue. Coaches visiting the park over the weekend that are not participating in the rally will use an alternative parking area on the site. The event itself will be able to cope with up to 60 entries. The cost of entering
a coach has risen slightly over last year’s price to £285 plus VAT, and will include two tickets for the Awards Dinner. It will also include table wine and pre-dinner drinks. Coaches entered will be able to take advantage of special rates giving discounts on entry to the park the full cost of which would by £46 for adults and £37 for children in 2013. With the special discount for each entries family and friends (up to a maximum of ten people) the rates will drop to £21 for adults (anyone over 12) and £17 for children (aged 4-11) with children under four entering for free.

There will also be special rates available at savings on the full price for individuals if a coach is bringing more than ten passengers. Rooms will be available on site for entrants if they wish, details of and rates for which will be included with Rally entry forms. The team at Alton Towers Resort is enthusiastic about becoming the new home of the rally. Rachael Cotton Head of Trade and Corporate Sales at Alton Towers Resort commented, ‘As one of the UK's most popular coaching destinations, we are delighted that the UK Coach Rally and Awards have chosen Alton Towers Resort as the venue for their first joint event. We are very pleased to host the first of this important weekend in the coaching calendar.’

A joint venture between UK Coach Awards Ltd and Coach Displays Ltd, two not for dividend companies, the running of the UK Coach Rally & Awards is being handled by a Management Committee drawn from industry stakeholders including the Coach Tourism Council and the Group Travel Organisers' Association. Supporters include CTC, GTOA, CPT-UK and ETOA. Chris Cheek of the UK Coach Awards commented, ‘I see it as a natural development for the awards. We are getting together to create a weekend of celebration.’ He said that one of his original plans after establishing the UK Bus Awards was to do the same job for the coach industry. ‘We are beginning to see signs of that happening in terms of the prestige that winning an award gives and the level of participation at the ceremony.’ The shortlist for the UK Coach Awards 2013 will be announced at Great Days Out in Manchester on 9 February 2013. Get entering Nominations and entries for the awards can be submitted online via the website at www.ukcra.org.uk from now on. To enter a coach in the rally either ring 01753 631170, email [email protected] or go to the www.coachdisplays.co.uk website. I understand that the first ten competitors have already entered."

05a25b833efe421fb7f2011.png

Aly said:
Just read the following article in the latest edition of Bus and Coach Buyer which confirms the 2013 UK Coach Rally & UK Coach Awards will be held at the Alton Towers Resort on Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April.

You read Bus and Coach Buyer?

Okay, I'm guessing by coach rally, they mean an event where operators and manufactures turn up to show off their shiny new buses much like a steam rally.

If it's the other thing I'm thinking, it would interest me a lot more but it would also be a lot more dangerous.

Aly said:
Well when you operate one of Scotland's leading coach companies, you kind of need too! ;)

What?

Is this one of these insider jokes or do you really operate a big Coach company lol?

TheMan said:
Aly said:
Well when you operate one of Scotland's leading coach companies, you kind of need too! ;)

What?

Is this one of these insider jokes or do you really operate a big Coach company lol?
Aly would like to permit you to have ONE FREE RIDE on his MASSIVE coach, mate.

mrbrightside said:
TheMan said:
Aly said:

What?

Aly would like to permit you to have ONE FREE RIDE on his MASSIVE coach, mate.

I really don't know what to say to that hahahaha.

Full of surprises this forum ;D

In all seriousness, he really does operate a large coach company.

mrbrightside said:
In all seriousness, he really does operate a large coach company.

Brighty, you know I'm easily confused, what are you doing man? ;D

So hang on does this mean Mr Coach gets to go on this sojourn?

And seriousness for a moment: Nice one Aly dude! I don't understand why there is such an issue with people getting lifts when Aly has coaches to hand lol!! Well done though, great achievement I hope business is good for you mate!

Please aly, you arent even that famous - I only knew because you took me to that corporate meeting ;)

Anyway, a rally? With coaches in the car park? Sounds hilarious.

Username:
TheMan
Personal Text:
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master

Date Registered:
02 Oct 2012 at 21:45 PM

I'm just a gobby git mate, who waltzed in, grabbed a chair and sat my backside down ;D

I lurked a bit on TT, but nope only joined October mate :)

Cheers mate :) I'm well impressed by the coach thing too I have to say.

Got a lot of time for people who go out and make a success of stuff! Some nice official badges around that site too, you gotta be proud of that mate.

I'll be happy if I get to write music for a ride there one day!

On the flip side, you can't have many excuses for not going to meets? ;D

Am I seriously missing something about why they've chosen Alton Towers?

Seems strange...but good :p

Also, the one issue of Bus and Coach buyer I don't read...

Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st April.

By the sounds of it the will allocated some of the main car park for the standard coaches visiting with Theme Park guests. These event's are quite large, so I imagine it taking up the entire coach/mini bus car park which is currently used.