• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

"Alton Towers Rollercoaster Club" - New Summer Show

Towers2ndhome

TS Member
Hi all,

First post just to give you all a heads up on what is likely to be one of the Summer shows at the Alton Towers Hotel, "Alton Towers Rollercoaster Club".

It's the first show based on the rides with songs and a story formed around them. Great fun when I saw the preview back in March. One for theme park enuthiasts that might not normally take a look at the Hotel shows.

Has songs like "Good Morning Alton Towers" (Hairspray) and a version of Little shop of Horrors, with the intro, "On the 17th of March, 1998... a new opened at the Alton Towers Resort... I couldn't sleep the night before!... I was so excited, at 6am I packed my lunchbox and off I went. And there it was before me...Oblivion! Scary Drop, Scary drop of terror... etc... etc.

Anyway, you get the idea! lol.

Couple of photos:

coasterclub1.jpg

coasterclub2.jpg

Ooh, if this comes into fruition I'd be really happy! This is the kind of resort-specific entertainment that the hotels need so much more of, and should be really fun! (I'd honestly be tempted to hang around one day in summer to watch this). Do we know whether it'll have a live band or just prerecorded? :)

I think it's about time the hotels saw a move away from the dated, inappropriate likes of Pirate Bill to something a bit more professional and specific like this!

The show was on throughout March and April when I stayed in the hotels. I don't think it's anything special for summer, it's just another one of the shows that circulate though a timetable. :)

This version of the show does include A-Band-On-Ship and is accompanied with the X-FACTOR show.

I too had watched this during April. :)

Might be a show they expand on though. The hotels entertainments works on a better rota and variation of shows these days.

Oooh, how exciting! This sounds great, an Alton Towers musical! Maybe it'll even contain some original songs, not just rewritten! Very exciting stuff. :)

Magrathea said:
I think it's about time the hotels saw a move away from the dated, inappropriate likes of Pirate Bill to something a bit more professional and specific like this!

I think that's a little unfair to Bill!

I must admit the past couple of times Ive seen PB he hasnt been great. But I wouldnt say he's unprofessional, and the dedication of the bloke has to be admired.

I think whats mags meant was that the quality of shows you get at other park resorts are generally higher than alton, not that the staff dont try. I think he means as in a professionally produced show.

Maybe unprofessional was the wrong word... Pirate Bill's good at what he does, but I don't think his level of kids' entertainment belongs in a resort of the quality of Towers - Butlins perhaps!

Nothing against him personally, and obviously the service he's done to the hotels over the years is legendary, but I think it's about time hotel ents moved on!

Pirate Bill is cheesy, and i think in a place like Alton Towers you need that, a bit of fun, something very childish and cheesy - it all adds to the fun.

If they aimed for professionalism we'd end up with just lives singers and nothing more. To be quite frank, that is not what a resort is about. The cheesy holiday like vibe to Pirate Bill is a part of the magic for me. It makes the kids laugh, the parents happy, it's a build up right to the main 'adult' show.

I don't think Pirate Bill belongs at Butlins, he could work there well - although he is a fantastic children's entertainer and perfectly suits Alton Towers.

I do agree that he is a bit out his time now. He's a lovely man, although I cannot see him hanging around for many more years.

If Alton Towers want to improve hotel entertainments they need to introduce more variety. Getting rid of Pirate Bill and simply having the singers is not the way forward and it will further ruin the way the hotels entertainments works.

Here's a little look at the Alton Towers Hotel entertainments in the late 90s/early 00s:
- Pirate Bill and Baby Bear Show
- Sing Along with the Magic Makers Show (mini disco)
- Face painting and balloon making on the ship with the Magic Makers
- The Dickie and Tanya Hyde Show
- Live singers accompanied by Dickie and Tanya

2012:
- Pirate Bill Show
- Live singers with A Band on a Ship
- Themed show with singers (which is pretty much just pop music with the singers wearing wigs)

See the difference? Time have changed and things just simply aren't as great as they used to be. I am happy to see they have introduced new shows now, such as the one posted in this first post, so things are improving - and unlike a few years ago every day now has a different show, working on a rota to ensure multi-day/night guests do not see the same thing every night.

Although it feels there's nothing more to add. They are limited with the staging they have. Although I believe if they bring back something similar to the Magic Makers, some new characters like Dickie and Tanya, that can be something for the adults (with the dirty sexual innuendos) and for the kids (singing along and dancing).