• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Am I too big?

MattNB

TS Member
Hi all,

I’m a big guy, about 6 ft tall, 42 inch waist and 48-50 inch chest.

I’ve booked tickets without (stupidly) realising this might be an issue and can’t cancel, so I’m just gonna have to try on the day.

I know for a fact I can’t ride Spinball Whizzer, but are there any other of the thrill rides with restraints you’ll know from experience won’t work for me?

I’ve been on all the rides when I was a bit slimmer but I’ve not been back for a few years so I can’t remember.

Particularly Wickerman (I’ve never been on since I’ve not been whilst it’s been open) & TH13TEEN as I cant find any information on those restraints.

If anybody around my size has any experiences they’d like this share please do!

I’m just very paranoid I’m not going to fit on most of the rides and not have the most enjoyable day, but again, that’s my own fault for not thinking of this sooner.

Thanks,
Matt.

Hi all,

I’m a big guy, about 6 ft tall, 42 inch waist and 48-50 inch chest.

I’ve booked tickets without (stupidly) realising this might be an issue and can’t cancel, so I’m just gonna have to try on the day.

I know for a fact I can’t ride Spinball Whizzer, but are there any other of the thrill rides with restraints you’ll know from experience won’t work for me?

I’ve been on all the rides when I was a bit slimmer but I’ve not been back for a few years so I can’t remember.

Particularly Wickerman (I’ve never been on since I’ve not been whilst it’s been open) & TH13TEEN as I cant find any information on those restraints.

If anybody around my size has any experiences they’d like this share please do!

I’m just very paranoid I’m not going to fit on most of the rides and not have the most enjoyable day, but again, that’s my own fault for not thinking of this sooner.

Thanks,
Matt.
Hi Matt, welcome to Towers Street
Does this answer your question?
https://support.altontowers.com/hc/...-restrictive-are-the-restraints-on-the-rides-
Also, Oblivion, Galactica and Rita have test seats, I would recommend that you try using these before joining the queue.

Hi,

Yes I’ve seen this, I was just curious how accurate they were based on others’ experiences and also info on the ones that don’t have info like Wickerman.
Wicker Man and Th13teen are less restrictive because they have lap bars. Spinball isn't very nice if you are too tall or too big (note the weight limit)

Wicker Man and Th13teen are less restrictive because they have lap bars. Spinball isn't very nice if you are too tall or too big (note the weight limit)

Would you say if I were to fit in Rita I’d also fit Wickerman? I only ask because when I saw “Restrictive” on the link you sent I got the feeling that meant it was more restrictive than the others?

I'm 6ft 2 and fit fine on Thirteen and wicker Man, although I'm also skinny. Haven't ridden Rita or Spinball though, although I've sat in Rita's test seat and could barely fit (very hard for a tall person to get into).

I'm a similar build to you - except 2 inches taller.

On my last visit I found:
Oblivion was a no go, even the big seat (shoulders were the problem here)
Smiler was also a no go, but it seemed much closer, and again shoulder clearance was the problem
Rita was surprisingly comfortable
Th13teen wasn't too bad
Nemesis was big boy seat only (and again my chunky shoulders made it close on that)
Wickerman was OK - although they had to use 'the spade of doom' to release the restraint and give it a firmer push.

Didn't try Galactica as this was back in the VR ridiculous queue era. Intuitively I would expect this to be OK based on the flexibility of the shoulder restraints.

Ignore the advice on the website. Also the seats were in various states of broken on my visit, so I couldn't validate Oblivion for example.

I'm a similar build to you - except 2 inches taller.

On my last visit I found:
Oblivion was a no go, even the big seat (shoulders were the problem here)
Smiler was also a no go, but it seemed much closer, and again shoulder clearance was the problem
Rita was surprisingly comfortable
Th13teen wasn't too bad
Nemesis was big boy seat only (and again my chunky shoulders made it close on that)
Wickerman was OK - although they had to use 'the spade of doom' to release the restraint and give it a firmer push.

Didn't try Galactica as this was back in the VR ridiculous queue era. Intuitively I would expect this to be OK based on the flexibility of the shoulder restraints.

Ignore the advice on the website. Also the seats were in various states of broken on my visit, so I couldn't validate Oblivion for example.

Thanks for the response, crazy that Smiler was a no go for you considering it’s listed as the biggest on the website with decent room to spare.

I suppose I’ll just have to wait and find out on the day for most of them, but I appreciate you sharing the info!

From a height perspective, my dad is 6’6”/6’7”, so a lot taller than yourself, and while he’s always been rejected on Spinball for being too tall, he fits relatively comfortably in most other rides bar Rita. Come to think of it, RMT was also a bit of a squeeze for him on our last visit, however he was sat in the back of the car; we think the front may have been easier for him, as he’s fitted in it fine in the past, and the front had more legroom.

My dad is quite thin, however, so I can’t comment from a weight perspective.

From a height perspective, my dad is 6’6”/6’7”, so a lot taller than yourself, and while he’s always been rejected on Spinball for being too tall, he fits relatively comfortably in most other rides bar Rita. Come to think of it, RMT was also a bit of a squeeze for him on our last visit, however he was sat in the back of the car; we think the front may have been easier for him, as he’s fitted in it fine in the past, and the front had more legroom.

My dad is quite thin, however, so I can’t comment from a weight perspective.
Yeah I find my legs squashed up on RMT as well.

Thanks for the response, crazy that Smiler was a no go for you considering it’s listed as the biggest on the website with decent room to spare.

I suppose I’ll just have to wait and find out on the day for most of them, but I appreciate you sharing the info!
Yeah I was pretty disappointed tbh, the Oblivion staff had given me a queue jump card saying I'd have no trouble on there.

Every body is different, and I dare say an inch and a half less height would have made the diff.

Hex could be another one you may struggle with, as the legroom isn't great. Your knees will be up against the bench in front if sat on the back row. I've never sat in the front row so don't know what it's like.