• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Any cloned coasters you like more than the original?

Matt N

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
Hi guys. I was just looking at some construction photos of the Hulk-style B&M being built at Universal Studios Beijing, and I was thinking how it looked to be a huge improvement on the original Hulk in Orlando; the profiling looks a lot smoother, there looks to be far more detailed theming on the newer ride from what we’ve seen so far and on the whole, I personally like the look of it a lot more from what I’ve seen. So that got me thinking; I know most seem to think that the original is always the favourite in this kind of scenario (not just in terms of coasters, either), but are there any cloned coasters that you like more than the original ride they were based on?

The only example I can think of off the top of my head is Monster at Walygator Parc, which often gets far more praise than Raptor at Cedar Point, which it was based off of.

But are there any clones you like more than the original coaster?

Interesting thread idea! I think most clones will get higher praise than the original, due to being newer.

There are only three coasters I can think of where I've ridden both the "clone" and the original:
  • 10 Inversion Roller Coaster at Chimelong Paradise, it's still a bit uncomfortable but it's better than Colossus
  • Kumali at Flamingo Land, it's a lot more comfortable than Snow Mountain Flying Dragon at Happy Valley. I did ride Dragon in 2018 and haven't ridden Kumali since 2013 so perhaps it's gotten worse since then
  • Heidi The Ride and White Lightnin', honestly I really enjoyed both of these and can't remember any difference between them apart from the nicer surroundings of Heidi
EDIT: Thought of another one
  • Diving Machine G5, it is taller than Oblivion (off the ground, at least) and you get a better view, but the deep tunnel adds so much to Oblivion making it the better ride IMO.

Last edited:
Apparently, a park in China is making an almost exact clone of Taron. It's at a theme park called Chengdu Wanda City. It's on RCDB.
Edit: I would like to see a clone maybe of Lost Gravity maybe?

Although hardly much in it due to how utterly insipid the layout is, Desert Race at Heide Park is marginally better than Rita due to it being slightly less rough at the back. It also has considerably better theming!

I like Flight of the pterosaur better than Freedom Flyer and Kvasten. Not by a whole lot though.

Not a “clone” necessarily given it’s an off the shelf model, but let us acknowledge the fact that Speed of Sound at Walibi Holland wipes the floor with any other Vekoma Boomerang out there.