• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Anything Radioactive Topic

Poisson

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Giant Squid
Cold War? Nukes? North Korea? Trident? Chernobyl? This is the place for all nuclear discussion, as suggested by our resident Diogo.

Begin.

I have Soooooo much to say on this subject.... but it can wait till I have time to kill at work tomorrow. ;)

Anything radioactive?

LikeBrazil nuts, coffee, flour, the cat, the Universe?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Flying on a plane....

One way to New York = equivalent exposure of one chest x-ray

One CT abdomen scan creates a 1/6000 chance of inducing a fatal cancer (often 2 scans are done in one examination).

Trust me Fukishima doesn't come close to the amount of radiation exposure caused in Hospitals.... But thanks to IRMER that's perfectly legal :)

So that the Cold War junkies can have a good old natter, I have a hypothetical question;

I live in Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Imagine that tomorrow, Russia went to war and bombed the UK. Would I stand a chance of survival, and if so, what chance?

Not that this kind of thing keeps me awake at night on a frequent basis, or anything.

In the "countdown begins" topic I posted a couple of maps of likely targets in the UK. Can't link to them easily right now as I'm on the tube.

Nukemap is a good tool for estimating your chances, if you know what your nearest target would be. It even estimates fallout now (just remember that depends on wind direction.)

I've always said, if you see a mushroom cloud, run towards[/] it.

DiogoJ42 said:
I've always said, if you see a mushroom cloud, run towards[/] it.

This is the correct attitude. Die quickly than slowly of hunger or radiation poisoning....

The 4 minute warning is for you to get as close to the blast as possible ;)

I think these days they wouldn't give a "warning" at all. Aside from the fact that the infastructure to pass it on, and the sirens themselves no longer exist, what would be the point?
There a some interesting mock ups on youtube of what it might look like if the Beeb interrupted normal programming with the message "ATTACK WARNING RED". But I doubt the powers that be would tell us. They would be too busy scrambling for their own shelters.

The Home Office are too busy these days telling brown people to 'go home' to warn us of an incoming nuclear holocaust.

I think part of the justification for brutalist architecture was that reinforced concrete is much better at surviving blast overpressure. Certainly when it comes to things like power substations and telephone exchanges. Obviously it wouldn't survive a direct hit, but no surface building would anyway.

While not brutalist in design, the BT Tower (or Post Office Tower as it was called when it was built) is round in shape to help deflect blast waves around it. One of the main reasons it was built was to provide microwave links to various parts of the country. Officially for TV and phone lines... Unofficially for military communication that would be vital in times of war, especially if landlines have been destroyed. In theory the tower was designed to survive a medium size atomic blast over central London. Of course, once we started building multi megaton thermonuclear weapons this was all pointless.
A little known fact is that dispite being one of the city's most world famous landmarks, for many years it was not marked on any OS map due how important it was to military / government communication!