• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Bags on rides

MichelinMan

TS Member
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't see it answered anywhere.

I was just wondering which coasters and rides you are able to take bags on.

It is pretty obvious that Nemesis, Air and Oblivion you can't.

But what about Rita, 13 and the RMT?

Also Duel and Hex?

Last time we went, my son wimped out of all of those! I will probably get him onto Rita, 13 and RMT this visit, but not sure about Nemesis. Air and Oblivion are non-starters for him!

You can't take your bags on any coasters. You have to on Duel, but I'm not sure about the last part of Hex.

On the coasters some of them you place your bag on the ride platform in the station. On others there are cages where you place your bags in (again cages are in the station). Staff usually direct you where to put belongings although if you're not sure ask and they will be happy to help.

On Th13teen before you enter the station there is a baggage building where staff take your bag and give you a numbered ticket to collect your belongings at the ride exit (there are staff and signs around so you'll have no worry knowing what to do).

Duel you just have your bag in the carriage with you. With Hex you can hold your bag throughout all the rooms, in the final room/ride section bags have to be placed on the floor (staff check everyone though so will tell you what to do).

It did surprise me when I went to DLP/WDS that on every ride you took your bags in board with you, even those with inversions, such as Indiana Jones and Rock n Rollercoaster.

Thirteen has a bag store room before the station where you exchange your bag for a wristband (as does Smiler). RMT runs one train, so you leave bags on the exit side platform. The others have bag cages in their stations.

It did surprise me when I went to DLP/WDS that on every ride you took your bags in board with you, even those with inversions, such as Indiana Jones and Rock n Rollercoaster.

Disney recognise that people messing about with bags is one of the main factors in rides running below their design capacity, so they just let people take their stuff on with them even if it's not particularly practical

Only on 2 trains though, when it was running 1 you had to leave bags on the offload side. I don't think they had enough space for a bag store, so presumably the trip hazard on the platform outweighed the risk of things falling out.

Disney recognise that people messing about with bags is one of the main factors in rides running below their design capacity, so they just let people take their stuff on with them even if it's not particularly practical

They used to let you on the Corkscrew with bags back in the good old days.....

I think another reason Disney allow bags, and the Corkscrew would allow bags is the ride queue or paths don't go under the ride, therefore anything falling out wouldn't hit a spectator.
This is also why Universal Studios now don't allow anything (even down to coins in a zipped pocket) as there were reports of people throwing items at others under the ride or other ride trains (Universal have free lockers).

Yet Phantasialand requires you to take your bags on Winjas even though it goes over paths!

I rarely take a bag to the park, but if I do, I take it on RMT. Am I not supposed to?

Don't think so, they tell you to leave all personal belongings on the exit platform but I don't think they're all that bothered really.
If I can avoid it I never take a bag, just leave anything I might want in the car.

I always get loaded up as the pack horse of the family. Sunglasses, coats, drinks, IPad to use in queue lines etc. So I always like to know what I can do with the bag on rides. Universal's approach, with lockers at rides where you can't take them on, is the best I have seen.

Same. Saw someone on Indiana Jones filming on their phone. Only one they stopped me having it on was rc racer because it was too big to fit in the thing. Can you film on ride at DLP? At Alton towers you can't take you bag on (and leave it in the station):
  • Nemesis
  • Oblivion
  • Air
  • Rita
  • Blade
  • RMT
  • Ripsaw
  • Flume
  • Heave ho (depending on bag size)
The smiler and thirteen there is a thing just before you get to the station.

Yep you can film on rides. I used my gopro but they donmt seem to have a problem with handheld cameras or phones. :)

Yep you can film on rides. I used my gopro but they donmt seem to have a problem with handheld cameras or phones. :)

At Alton Towers? Loose items are not permitted on any coaster for sure. We've had a train on Nemesis e-stopped on the lift hill as someone had their phone out and the staff walked up and too it off them.
I think family ride such as In the Night Garden or Charlie you could film. But please no flash photos on dark rides!

At Alton Towers? Loose items are not permitted on any coaster for sure. We've had a train on Nemesis e-stopped on the lift hill as someone had their phone out and the staff walked up and too it off them.
I think family ride such as In the Night Garden or Charlie you could film. But please no flash photos on dark rides!
I meant at DLP/WDS... I thought that's what someone was asking about, not Towers. In which case, you've already answered about AT, :p

I meant at DLP/WDS... I thought that's what someone was asking about, not Towers. In which case, you've already answered about AT, :p

Yes, again at Disney very few rides pass over queues and paths so there is less risk of something falling out and hitting someone.