• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best English Inverting Coaster

Which is the best inverting coaster in the UK?

• Revolution

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • INfusion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Odyssey

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Kumali

• Speed

• Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Mumbo Jumbo

• G-Force

• Nemesis

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • The Smiler

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Colossus

• Saw:The Ride

• Nemesis Inferno

• Shockwave

• Total voters
Why limit the poll to England rather than the UK? Speed at Oakwood is better than half of the rides listed.

To be fair Speed is probably the only one that's any good, there's only a handful of other looping coasters at other parks and as far as I know they're all Pinfaris

I was going to vote for my favourites at M&D's until I realised the thread title said England... :(

---

Tip: when creating threads try and put some thought into the first post. Maybe share your own thoughts on what your favourite ride is. Otherwise you might end up with a string of posts that don't take the thread entirely seriously...

Odyssey for me too, nice to have a ride high up with a crazy wind lol

Considering this is primarily an Alton Towers forum the poll is pretty pointless. :p It's obvious Nemesis will win and you'll have a handful that say The Smiler is better.

Maybe if Alton Towers rides were cut out of the poll then you would start to have an interesting poll and topic fold out!

James said:
Considering this is primarily an Alton Towers forum the poll is pretty pointless. :p It's obvious Nemesis will win and you'll have a handful that say The Smiler is better.
This.

James said:

Well, the fact Nemesis will win is nothing to do with the fact that this is an Alton Towers forum. It'll win because it is the best inverting coaster in the UK by quite a distance. :p

Alastair said:
James said:

Well, the fact Nemesis will win is nothing to do with the fact that this is an Alton Towers forum. It'll win because it is the best inverting coaster in the UK by quite a distance. :p

I disagree, The Smiler is not that far behind Nemesis. I am a proper Nemesis fan boy in that regard, but I am not a Towers apologist - I go to Towers, because it generally has the best rides, not because it's Towers.

It's like Stealth & Swarm I very much love, ok, perhaps only 1 seat on Swarm I actually really enjoy riding it on - which is a bit weird, but having tried a fair few there is one particular seat I really do love it. I haven't ridden the others. If it was not absolutely stupidly harsh nowadays Colossus would be up there for being a good old fashioned coaster style.

There are plenty of Towers critics on here to keep this poll interesting, but for me, pound for pound Nemesis & The Smiler are very, very hard to beat - Nemesis at night, in the dark though, is absolutely insane and that is why for me it takes it... JUST.

TheMan said:
Alastair said:
James said:

I disagree, The Smiler is not that far behind Nemesis. I am a proper Nemesis fan boy in that regard, but I am not a Towers apologist - I go to Towers, because it generally has the best rides, not because it's Towers.

It's like Stealth & Swarm I very much love, ok, perhaps only 1 seat on Swarm I actually really enjoy riding it on - which is a bit weird, but having tried a fair few there is one particular seat I really do love it. I haven't ridden the others. If it was not absolutely stupidly harsh nowadays Colossus would be up there for being a good old fashioned coaster style.

There are plenty of Towers critics on here to keep this poll interesting, but for me, pound for pound Nemesis & The Smiler are very, very hard to beat - Nemesis at night, in the dark though, is absolutely insane and that is why for me it takes it... JUST.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. The Smiler is not even in the same league as Nemesis in terms of its layout/ride experience IMO. Where The Smiler is just inversion after inversion crammed into a tiny space, Nemesis flows and each inversion is carefully measured and majestic and really adds to the experience.

Alastair said:
We'll have to agree to disagree then. The Smiler is not even in the same league as Nemesis in terms of its layout/ride experience IMO. Where The Smiler is just inversion after inversion crammed into a tiny space, Nemesis flows and each inversion is carefully measured and majestic and really adds to the experience.

I REALLY disliked The Smiler, but as the season went on, I got won over by it. It is not precision, quality, slick like Nemesis is granted - this is why Nemesis still takes it for me - you have to (if you can) consider you rode them both for the first time at the same time, to have ridden it that many times and still not be bored is extraordinary.

What is more, The Smiler is going to age badly, where as Nemesis has grown old gracefully. The "silver fox" of the coaster world.

However, relentless crazy inversion after relentless crazy inversion or not, that twisted heap of steel that looks like it was designed by the cable fairy (the one who messes up the wires behind the TV) is still something a little bit special. That ride in the space the fantastic Black Hole took up? That deserves plaudits.

And it did it's job, it made me Smile, repeatedly. Great coaster. (PLEASE FIX IT!)

*ahem* :p

I actually agree with TheMan to a certain extent. I would say Nemesis and The Smiler are on par with one another. However they should not be compared too greatly. Nemesis is great for its intensity. The Smiler is great for its fun and madness.

Actually both The Smiler and Nemesis for me are the best 'inverting' roller coasters in the UK.