• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Best Song Ever - In Your Opinion

Jb85

TS Member
Currently self isolating with the wife and fam and we’ve all been taking turns playing our favourite songs ever…

this lead me to think, this would make a good topic!

for me, I love music, all genres really although trance is my favourite.

So, what are you three favourite songs, and why?

1) Queen & Bowie - Under Pressure

why? It’s just brilliant, two iconic artists, lyrically good, good tune, sang well…. Where do I stop with this song?

2) basement jaxx - where’s your head at?

for one sole reason - Fatboy Slim Brighton beach. What a night.

3) Tiesto version of Adagio for strings

William orbits version was great, but dragged on a little. For me this is the perfect club song. I’ve been lucky enough to do Ibiza many times, and this tune dropping as the sun is rising is one of life’s best moments

Of course I’ve got many many others I love, but these are my favourite three. What are yours?

Last edited:
Love the idea for the thread and hope you manage okay @Jb85 and a great idea for the thread.

I always struggle to pick the best song ever but I've got to go with Bon Jovi you give love a bad name the greatest rock hit ever in my opinion. Its a great inspiration for rock records and its just a great tune to listen too.

Rank 1 - Airwave - what a classic tune. Need to add that to my play list now!

Enola Gay - that’s an interesting choice. Great tune that gets forgotten about.

is there anyway we can embed YouTube links here?

Nice idea and hope you're not climbing the walls too much in isolation. My picks would be...

Blue Monday - New Order

Guns N Roses - Sweet Child o Mine

Yeah click the watch button (2 film reels) and paste the link or the video ID

Thanks @Rojo much appreciated

we’re doing ok, it’s the second time I’ve had the virus now !!! Driving me mad but I’m not Ill. So the vaccines worked

Glad to read you're all well. If I remember correctly, you were the first to get it on here. Happy it's smoother this time around :D

Glad to read you're all well. If I remember correctly, you were the first to get it on here. Happy it's smoother this time around :D

Good memory
I created the thread on here. Had it fairly early on in the pandemic - pre vaccine.

Sorry about my post earlier in this thread hadn't finished it before I sent it and was on my phone.

So picking three (well already said about one in my first post)
1) Bon Jovi - You give love a bad name

2) The verve - Lucky man - this song is genius. Amazingly written and it sounds fantastic. It's just a feel good song (well to me anyway) that's not really cheesy.

3) Toto - Africa - A genius use of rock music with strange percussion instruments that combine for a crazy song which is incredibly enjoyable. Once again amazingly written and I could listen to it all day.

I also wanted to mention (sorry breaking the rules) the other song that I just couldn't post in here although I really wanted to and that's Imagine - John Lennon - an amazing song that is an absolute classic and probably a bit cliche but I couldn'r resist mentioning it too alongside my other picks.

Glad your feeling alright @Jb85 and hope you manage in isolation alright.

Presume it would be one of your picks then @pluk ?

It's the most popular answer to most questions, whether it's about music or not! An undoubtable banger, but for my money it's not even the best song by Toto, let alone the best song by all bands ever...

I've got no idea how anyone can definitively pick their favourite ever song, changes by mood and moment for me. I'll have a think.

It's the most popular answer to most questions, whether it's about music or not! An undoubtable banger, but for my money it's not even the best song by Toto, let alone the best song by all bands ever...

I've got no idea how anyone can definitively pick their favourite ever song, changes by mood and moment for me. I'll have a think.

Very understandable but for me I grew up listening to it and always enjoyed it. It wasn't something I over heard like Bohemian Rhapsody but something that I heard regular enough to know I liked it.
I also get what you are saying about not picking my all time favourite song and to be honest I did struggle and am not completely happy with my picks.
I suppose my music taste comes from my parents and that's why I like that particular sort of song. I tend not to have cliché music taste however a few of the songs I like probably are.

@JAperson thanks for the well wishes. There are no rules to this thread, and I have to say all your suggestions so far have been listened to so thanks. Lucky Man - forgot about that song absolute tune.

I think an honourable mentioned is needed to my fourth favourite song - Elton John & George Michael - Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me

as Talented as George was this shows to me how east Elton finds things - he didn’t struggle in this at all. Legends

and I have to say all your suggestions so far have been listened to so thanks. Lucky Man - forgot about that song absolute tune.
Well in that case and that's there no rules I'll list a few more of my favourites:
Pulp - common people

The verve - sonnet

ACDC - you shook me all night

toto - hold the line

Survivor - burning hearts

These are just a few more of my favourites and I really could go on all day with music like this.

Very hard to pick 3.. if I had to chose now it’d be the below

Rank 1 -Airwave

OMD - Enola Gay

Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence

Edit - Thanks for the link tip @Rojo
I can't believe you stole Airwave and Enjoy the Silence off of me! Judging by you and @Jb85's choices, our similarities in music tastes must have something to do with being 80's kids.

Since you 2 have eliminated some of mine, I'll go for these:

1. Thrill seekers - Synaesthesia

2. God Within - Rain Cry

3. New Order - True Faith

4. The Beloved - Sweet Harmony

5.Aurora - Hear you Calling (Dark Moon mix)

6. College Feat Electric Youth - A Real Hero

OK, I'll try. I think the best piece of music ever recorded is The Beatles - Because

It's perfect.

And I no particular order, some others I'd put right up there...

Bombay Bicycle Club - Luna

Does inexplicable things to me.

Bombay Bicycle Club - Shuffle

It captures the feeling after a period of being in some altered state of consciousness like nothing else. A feeling a know wasn't good and I won't return to, but I can't help yearning for and this takes me some of the way back.

Pulp - Babies

Perfect pop story telling

Diana Ross - My Old Piano

No idea where my obsession with this comes from.

Everything Everything - Distant Past

I pretty much love everything they do.

Prince - Seven

Always my favourite of his, had a proper moment when he did this when I saw him at the 02. Apparently it wasn't regularly in the set, I got lucky. Takes me back there hearing it now.

Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar

More tales of altered states. This building and building and building can be quite something.

...if I thought about this tomorrow I'd probably have 5 or 6 completely different choices for what I thought were the greatest sons ever!

Everyone loves a music thread … this topic g could go on for ever. There’s always new music ….

Funny though you can tell who the 80’s kids are straight away

Everyone loves a music thread … this topic g could go on for ever. There’s always new music ….

Funny though you can tell who the 80’s kids are straight away
I'm in a hotel in Chorley at the moment working my way back south tomorrow from Pleasure Beach via Towers. I've just created a playlist of mine, yours and @Matt878787 's chosen tracks to listen to on the drive back. And of course thrown in Cafe del mar and Toto's African for good measure!