• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
So Grand National now has 140cm height restriction, up from 132cm last year and only 117cm the year before. So you need to be more than 9 inches taller to ride it than in 2022.

Anyone would think the ride is getting rougher !!

Are they going to keep increasing it every year until only Peter Crouch , Richard Osman and Stephen Merchant can ride it ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Can someone please explain to me the really specific height measurements for Blackpool? 132 cm and 117 cm are just a bit odd. Initially I thought they were probably a hangover from imperial measurements (I'm aware of my unconscious bias in assuming that somewhere up north would rigidly stick to measurements no one uses out of some sense of jingoism, or being stuck in the past), but they don't actually convert to any comfortable imperial measurement either. 132 cm is 4.33071 feet and 3.83858 feet.

So, fountain of knowledge that is TST, what's the craic?

Can someone please explain to me the really specific height measurements for Blackpool? 132 cm and 117 cm are just a bit odd. Initially I thought they were probably a hangover from imperial measurements (I'm aware of my unconscious bias in assuming that somewhere up north would rigidly stick to measurements no one uses out of some sense of jingoism, or being stuck in the past), but they don't actually convert to any comfortable imperial measurement either. 132 cm is 4.33071 feet and 3.83858 feet.

So, fountain of knowledge that is TST, what's the craic?

52 inches = 1.32m roughly, which will be how Arrow set the limit on Big One back in 1994.
46 inches = 1.17m roughly.

These will be on older rides (e.g. Icon is new so has 1.3m or 1.5m back row) and they simply haven't opted to round up to 1.4m or 1.2m (excluding Grand National which has been increased, presumably due to insurance or something).

I think they basically come down to insurance however unlike Merlin they do them at the lowest they cam whereas Merlin round them up to nearest 0. Big appeal of pleasure beach for us as my nephew is over 132 but nor 140 so could do all the big rides at blackpool last year but not Merlin parks. He really enjoyed Icon as his first launch/inverting coaster

So Grand National now has 140cm height restriction, up from 132cm last year and only 117cm the year before. So you need to be more than 9 inches taller to ride it than in 2022.

Anyone would think the ride is getting rougher !!

Are they going to keep increasing it every year until only Peter Crouch , Richard Osman and Stephen Merchant can ride it ?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
That's inflation for you.

That's inflation for you.
Possibly some logic in this, amusing as it is as a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if a park is presented with a range rates for insurance cover at different height requirements. Safety will come into consideration, but I imagine it's cheaper to insurer for a taller height requirement than a shorter one; probability factor of accidents and injuries etc.

Big One's height restriction was 130cm when I first visited (2004), think it was increased to 132 around 2006/7.
I’m pretty sure it’s always been 132. I remember when the board was in inches and it was 52…

I’m pretty sure it’s always been 132. I remember when the board was in inches and it was 52…
I'm sure I remember it going up by 2cm, as we thought my brother would be tall enough one year but then it had increased. Unless I'm just remembering it changing format and we incorrectly thought it had increased :sweatsmile:

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.