• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Here on my Bill. Seems fairly quiet, but school trips . . . in MAY? What the hell is that about?!

May see if I can spot anybody blowing chunks coming off Enso

Big One closed on lovely sunny calm (ish) day due to ‘high winds’. Even staff member seems embarrassed telling people. This is like Groundhog Day.

And Rob, the coin operated train is locked away in its shed. Won’t get that cred today. Burger King is shut too. May as well go home!

Not trying to open a can of worms here (honest guv), but as I’m not well travelled like many on here, do other 200+ foot plus coasters (measured from either ground or sea level!) around the world shut when a single leaf shakes on a single plant at ground level in the park?!

Last edited:
Big One closed on lovely sunny calm (ish) day due to ‘high winds’. Even staff member seems embarrassed telling people. This is like Groundhog Day.

And Rob, the coin operated train is locked away in its shed. Won’t get that cred today. Burger King is shut too. May as well go home!

Not trying to open a can of worms here (honest guv), but as I’m not well travelled like many on here, do other 200+ foot plus coasters (measured from either ground or sea level!) around the world shut when a single leaf shakes on a single plant at ground level in the park?!
Idk about wind but the parks in America really struggle when there's a bit of rain about.

For what it’s worth, Silver Star (239.5ft) did not shut for high winds once on my recent trip to Europa Park, and I spent 3 days there. Admittedly, the days I spent in the park had pretty nice weather, for the most part, but the day we arrived was rainy and somewhat breezy, and I could still see Silver Star climbing the lift hill as we approached the park for the first time, so it clearly didn’t stop due to the wind.

Although in fairness, Blackpool’s coastal location should be taken into account here; I’d imagine BPB experiences stronger winds than an in-land park would, and at over 200ft up, that’s surely only exacerbated further.
Idk about wind but the parks in America really struggle when there's a bit of rain about.
I think the rain thing at American parks is more to do with lightning risk than wind. I know from having been to Florida numerous times that whenever rides shut for “inclement weather”, lightning usually follows pretty swiftly as opposed to wind.

For what it’s worth, Silver Star (239.5ft) did not shut for high winds once on my recent trip to Europa Park, and I spent 3 days there. Admittedly, the days I spent in the park had pretty nice weather, for the most part, but the day we arrived was rainy and somewhat breezy, and I could still see Silver Star climbing the lift hill as we approached the park for the first time, so it clearly didn’t stop due to the wind.

Although in fairness, Blackpool’s coastal location should be taken into account here; I’d imagine BPB experiences stronger winds than an in-land park would, and at over 200ft up, that’s surely only exacerbated further.

I think the rain thing at American parks is more to do with lightning risk than wind. I know from having been to Florida numerous times that whenever rides shut for “inclement weather”, lightning usually follows pretty swiftly as opposed to wind.

Lightning often follows rain yes but they also struggle with braking issues and let's be honest, if you're on Milly going 90mph rain all of a sudden isn't that much fun to be travelling through.

Isn't PMBO's problem partially the turn around going into the prevailing winds? If they ever get round to intamin'ing it (please please please) I'd expect them to change the turn around so you're turning right instead of left.

Isn't PMBO's problem partially the turn around going into the prevailing winds? If they ever get round to intamin'ing it (please please please) I'd expect them to change the turn around so you're turning right instead of left.
I think there are some design quirks with PMBO that make it more wind intolerant than other hyper coasters, and that is indeed one of them. I also get the impression that the ride is somewhat less energy-efficient than other hyper coasters, with higher elements relative to its height that it passes over at lower speeds, therefore the stalling risk is higher in high wind.

Winds less than 20mph forecast, from the west, with gusts to 25.
Taking the mickey I would agree mr dipster.

The PMBO wind debate reminds me of this section from the 1997 Blackpool Pleasure Beach documentary:
  • JR: What’s the wind speed?
  • Operator: Bouncing between 45 and 50!
  • JR: WELL GET THE DAMN THING OPEN!
My, how times have changed… I don’t think H&S would allow for that today!

Prevailing winds were planned for, and that is what they are today.
Hard wind from the southwest is the tricky one apparently.
Today's winds are absolutely bog standard Blackpool, bit breezy from the west.
Fast and slow wheeled trains...put the fast train on.
Sounds distinctly cost based to me.
I trust the park is pretty dead dippy?

Prevailing winds were planned for, and that is what they are today.
Hard wind from the southwest is the tricky one apparently.
Today's winds are absolutely bog standard Blackpool, bit breezy from the west.
Fast and slow wheeled trains...put the fast train on.
Sounds distinctly cost based to me.
I trust the park is pretty dead dippy?

Yes very much so, just the one school trip. Joined a two trains worth of people dipper queue, when I was getting on the queue was halfway between the top of the steps and the champagne lounge!

I did see Big One testing empty and then with one staff member on, so it could have opened, but I’d already given up and left by then.

Hyperion was open in the wind but it is significantly better design wise.

BPB is just silly expensive now. A comparison for this Saturday directly from the websites, no faffing with discounts unless they're applied automatically.

BPB: £44
AT: £42
Parque Warner Madrid: £38.33
Phantasialand: £48.63
Europa Park: £46.92
Efteling: £37.54
Toverland: £29.01
Liseberg: £44.38

As much as I like the place, BPB isn't worth close to EP or Phantasialand money. All of the comparison parks are better then BPB (can't comment directly on Liseberg, not been yet but seems a good comparison)

How does PMBO compare to Millennium and Odyssey over at Fantasy Island in terms of ride availability and winds given that they are both right on the coast, does it tend to be a similar situation there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does PMBO compare to Millennium and Odyssey over at Fantasy Island in terms of ride availability and winds given that they are both right on the coast, does it tend to be a similar situation there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, Odyssey will close in high winds like PMBO.

It would appear Big One is the new Odyssey.

Whilst FI have implemented measures to mitigate Odyssey’s previously deserved reputation of being very sporadic in its operation, Pleasure Beach appear to increasingly look for reasons to close Big One on off peak days.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.