• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Blackpool Pleasure Beach: 2023 Discussion

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
They are two different mechanisms, T1 is submerged in the trough and is primarily pneumatic. The boats are brought in using the kickers in the previous block and the arms on the side of the turntable position it and provide the motion, so to speak.

T2 is above the level of the trough and is essentially "dry". As I understand, the movement is electrically powered and the only pneumatic feature is the ram to send the boat into the tunnel before the ice room. This is done from behind the boat, rather than alongside like on T1.

Sorry yes you are correct. This is exactly the same setup used for Dschungel X-pedition and Rio Bravo, with Rio Bravo having both turntables dry. Both rides use the same ride system as Valhalla.. Curious as to why they do it like this, but it certainly is not isolated to Valhalla, seems to be a design of the ride system itself.

Could have been a thematic decision - they wanted to hide the first turntable as much as possible? The 2nd one doesn't matter as it's dark & you can't see it anyway, so they went with a more reliable option

They are two different mechanisms, T1 is submerged in the trough and is primarily pneumatic. The boats are brought in using the kickers in the previous block and the arms on the side of the turntable position it and provide the motion, so to speak.

T2 is above the level of the trough and is essentially "dry". As I understand, the movement is electrically powered and the only pneumatic feature is the ram to send the boat into the tunnel before the ice room. This is done from behind the boat, rather than alongside like on T1.
Geekery of the finest order.
Extra geek/freak/happy clapper sticker next time in Crevettes.
Whenever that happens...

Apologies if this has already been discussed (this thread is always so busy that I find it hard to keep up with it), but has anyone noticed that in September, the park is closed in the daytime on Fridays, but open 4pm-9pm?

Whilst I think that opening in the evenings on Fridays as opposed to the daytime is probably a better move commercially, they’re charging the same price as they charge on an 11-5 or many of the 10-5 days, which I think isn’t great since it’s at least an hour shorter, but for the same price.

They did the same thing last year. It was not well attended. On the last of the Fridays in September they ran a BOGOF offer which meant a few more people went.

Could have been a thematic decision - they wanted to hide the first turntable as much as possible? The 2nd one doesn't matter as it's dark & you can't see it anyway, so they went with a more reliable option

I have been thinking about this and looking back to my days of doing hydro dynamics - apologies if it goes in depth a small bit.

I think the reason they have two vastly different turntables is quite simple, it has to be to help the flow of water. The V turntable would not be affected as much by water flow as due to the shape of the turntable area, the water still has plenty of ways to travel around the boat when a boat is in the turntable. You see this not only on Valhalla but other V shaped turntables, such as Storm Force 10, which has a submerged V table also. If they had the track going in the same configuration as the first turntable as the second, they could have the same turntable setup.

Put yourself into a 180 degree turntable though and it is a very different kettle of fish, if the turntable and boat are fully submerged, as the boat rotates while submerged, it is going to temporarily create a chokepoint for the water, especially as the boat is momentarily side on to the water flow. These flumes have quite a high flow rate, that water almost straight away is going to attempt to go somewhere, it will attempt to go into and around the boat and over the edges of the channel. You cannot counteract this by making the channel wider either, because that extra width will result in a much lower flow rate and depth of water on that section of the flume when there is no boat there as the water is free to flow without congestion. To the point that when a boat arrives there, there possibly wont be enough water to move the boat onto the turntable. I mean yes, you could possibly counteract this with more tire drives, but you then have to also compensate for when the channel gets thinner again and all the water related issues that come with that.

Much easier to raise the boat out of the water and avoid all this completely. It is a common feature on a lot of their flume rides, so it certainly is not theme related.

A very elegant and simple solution from Intamin if you ask me, to what could be quite a complex hydro dynamic and engineering problem

Last edited:
Are these price reductions @shakey ?

Yep, price reductions across the board of between £3 and £5 by the looks of it .

EDIT: Actually some prices are as much as £7 cheaper now. Mondays and Tuesdays in July and August for example are down to £32 from £39

Does any other park change there pricing structure mid season like pleasure beach often do?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Their product just isn't £44-46 worth.

People in this country WILL pay for quality. If we had a Disneyland (like the one in Paris) people would happily pay £70 or £80 a day. Same applies to Universal.

£46 for a ran down amusement park where most of its rides are older than the parents visiting with their kids is just not good value.

Although I don't think Disneyland is worth the high prices without fireworks or similar nighttime entertainment.

Me neither but that's not really an argument is it given they DO have those things. Hahahaha.

Why compare the Beach to Disney though...they are a million miles apart.
Spent sixteen quid on a good quality pie and chips in the pub at the weekend.
Two pints in a decent country pub now costs over a tenner.
Forty quid, or thirty five depending on the day, doesn't seem too steep, especially when the queues are usually around a quarter of those at the Towers.
And those old rides are heritage my good sir.

Why compare the Beach to Disney though...they are a million miles apart.
Spent sixteen quid on a good quality pie and chips in the pub at the weekend.
Two pints in a decent country pub now costs over a tenner.
Forty quid, or thirty five depending on the day, doesn't seem too steep, especially when the queues are usually around a quarter of those at the Towers.
And those old rides are heritage my good sir.

I wasn't comparing them. I merely said that people will pay top dollar in the UK if the product is good enough. I wasn't comparing the two companies in any way, shape or form.

£46 for the offering the PB has is simply ridiculous.

I think the biggest problem is value for money but I always see theme parks increase there ticket prices to make the season pass look good value. Like 3/4 visits and it’s already paid for itself.

Me neither but that's not really an argument is it given they DO have those things. Hahahaha.

Maybe I should have been clearer, Disneyland Paris doesn't always have nighttime entertainment, but they charged the same price irrespective of that. Personally therefore I would never give Disney £80+ if the night show isn't running.
I think they are back to offering it all the time now though.

I really don't know why they can't let people book on the day at a discount when arriving late.

At 2.30pm today with just two and a half hours before park close I can book online for £46 !!!

Why not reduce the price as the day goes on, especially if its a quiet day .

They could be charging £15 at this time and maybe get a few more punters through the gates.

Guys, planning a trip in mid August ( crowds don't bother us ) yet we have picked the airshow weekend we didn't know that at the time. Anyone had experience of that weekend on the park? As in will it be too busy or the case of rather quiet with people opting to watch planes from the beach ?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.